By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Your Top 50 Movies: 2013 Discussion Thread- Final Day!

Posted my 2nd pick The Godfather. Here is a recent and probably very easy clue for my #1 pick the lead role was originally offered to Tom Hanks but he had to decline because he was already booked and busy with filming Forrest Gump. Also here is a bonus clue Kevin Costner actually turned down the lead role.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
I need to watch The dark knight again. It didn't make a big impression on me when I first watched it, but I can't remember anything wrong with it either. Maybe I was half asleep at the time. Blu-ray released December 2009, ah our first born was barely 6 months old at the time, that explains it.

Is your nr 1 movie from China?

Feel the same way as you about The Dark Knight only watched it once though it was good but didn't think it was great.  Other movies that featured Christian Bale that I only watched once and though that where better are Rescue Dawn, American Psycho, The Fighter and 3:10 to Yuma. 

Last one!

Citizen Kane

Recently bumped from its perch on the Sight & Sound list, Citizen Kane is still number one to me. A lot of people ask me why I pick Kane as the best movie of all time, so my response is well-rehearsed at this point. The movie is great for two reasons. The first is its groundbreaking technical achievements. Director Orson Welles used innovative film techniques to make his movie quite unlike its contemporaries. The most obvious is the constant use of deep focus shots by cinematographer Gregg Tolland, but there were also low-angle shots and pioneering uses of special effects and sound editing. The second reason for Kane's greatness is its story and, more importantly, its storytelling. Welles embraced a non-linear story, told in flashbacks and half-remembered episodes. He also abandoned the idea of a single narrator, asking several actors to recount overlapping stories of the rise and fall of Charles Foster Kane.

Chris Hu said:
SvennoJ said:
I need to watch The dark knight again. It didn't make a big impression on me when I first watched it, but I can't remember anything wrong with it either. Maybe I was half asleep at the time. Blu-ray released December 2009, ah our first born was barely 6 months old at the time, that explains it.

Feel the same way as you about The Dark Knight only watched it once though it was good but didn't think it was great.  Other movies that featured Christian Bale that I only watched once and though that where better are Rescue Dawn, American Psycho, The Fighter and 3:10 to Yuma. 

what about The Machinist ? One of my favorite Bale movies.. You guys need to watch dark knight again..I wasnt impressed either but after watchING it multiple time it somehow got better..as I was saying scene after scene there is this feel of suspense because of that its very hard to comprehend the deeper meaning of the movie.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Chris Hu said:
kljesta64 said:
Hint for my n1 movie: Pao-Yeh-Pao-Lo-Mi

Did a serch and I'm guessing your #1 movie is A Chinese Ghost Story.

Yes. will post tonight 

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Yes. A Chinese Ghost Story

According to press release, the film was digitally remastered from the original negatives and six months were spent on the remastering

Here is something that might interest you..will post it tonight. I dont have the blue ray trilogy so I cant tell if its any good but it will fit in your collection i think :D

Tsubasa Ozora

Chris Hu said:
Posted my 2nd pick The Godfather. Here is a recent and probably very easy clue for my #1 pick the lead role was originally offered to Tom Hanks but he had to decline because he was already booked and busy with filming Forrest Gump. Also here is a bonus clue Kevin Costner actually turned down the lead role.

then its shawshank redemption

Tsubasa Ozora

kljesta64 said:
Chris Hu said:

then its shawshank redemption

Yes, it is.  As to your earlier question I still haven't watched The Machinist yet.  Another movie that featured Christian Bale that I only watched once and I sorta liked was Howl's Moving Castle he did the voice over of the main character in that film I probably need to watch it a couple of times more to fully appreciate that movie.

I rented the Machinist a long time ago. I should have bought it instead, it was pretty good from what I remember. Oh well bought it online now, it's $10.49 nowadays, no point in renting it again. I'm also getting Tropic thunder, never saw it but I read from several sources that it has the funniest commentary track in the business. And True romance, also supposed to have 1 of the best commentary tracks, and I've wanted to upgrade that from Laserdisc for a long time already.

I have Citizen Kane on my short list, unfortunately didn't make my top 50. It's a great movie yet when I was deciding which movies I most wanted to watch again Citizen Kane missed the boat.

I watched Shawshank redemption a couple weeks ago, also a great movie but not really my taste. And the escape bugs me. In all those years nobody ever leaned against that poster? Threw something against it? Then after all that digging he simply bashes a nice hole in the sewer pipe in a few hits?
Other then the end the pacing is near perfect, and Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are great.

I have no doubt my nr 1 isn't everyone's cup of tea either. It's great that every style and form has incredible movies to offer.

kljesta64 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes. A Chinese Ghost Story

According to press release, the film was digitally remastered from the original negatives and six months were spent on the remastering

Here is something that might interest you..will post it tonight. I dont have the blue ray trilogy so I cant tell if its any good but it will fit in your collection i think :D

Sounds good. A shame my local shops don't have it listed and amazon.ca only has the import for $45, bit too much for me. There is a European version in German and Manderin, no substitles and region locked, pointless.
I'll put it on my watch list. Maybe your review will persuade me to try play-asia.com :)