By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Your Top 50 Movies: 2013 Discussion Thread- Final Day!

The original ending of Leon would have fit better with the revenge theme, Mathilda was doing everything she did to get revenge for her brother. She was supposed to run to Leon's aid and hand Stansfield the grenade pin.
I'm glad for the uncut version anyway, without it Mathilda seems more of an helpless innocent bystander instead of the main driving force.

Talking about blind vengeance, I watched Dredd last night, didn't like it. Probably my fault for watching it after 6 weeks of only seeing top 50 movies, but there wasn't a single likeable character in the whole movie. Maybe it's better in 3D with the sound cranked up. I watched it at night and had to put the subtitles on as the dialogue was whispered from the center speaker while music was blaring from the surround speakers.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
The original ending of Leon would have fit better with the revenge theme, Mathilda was doing everything she did to get revenge for her brother. She was supposed to run to Leon's aid and hand Stansfield the grenade pin.
I'm glad for the uncut version anyway, without it Mathilda seems more of an helpless innocent bystander instead of the main driving force.

Talking about blind vengeance, I watched Dredd last night, didn't like it. Probably my fault for watching it after 6 weeks of only seeing top 50 movies, but there wasn't a single likeable character in the whole movie. Maybe it's better in 3D with the sound cranked up. I watched it at night and had to put the subtitles on as the dialogue was whispered from the center speaker while music was blaring from the surround speakers.

I think Dredds character is exceptional his dermination is something I barely see..usually characters like this always change throughout the movie and so the nature of the movie also changes. I see why you dont like it but this is rare and I think we need more of it.. atleast I do :D

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

kljesta64 said:
sounds like godfather lol

Yes, that's it the clue for my #1 pick probably will be easy also.

kljesta64 said:
SvennoJ said:

I think Dredds character is exceptional his dermination is something I barely see..usually characters like this always change throughout the movie and so the nature of the movie also changes. I see why you dont like it but this is rare and I think we need more of it.. atleast I do :D

It felt to me like a bad Die Hard remake, also a character with exceptional determination, but likeable as well. For me the director took it too far and not far enough. He chickened out and let him stun the teenagers, then he let him drug ma ma in the end on a stupid gamble.
That seemed to be a theme with the movie, the slow motion scenes went too far, too over processed and 3D gimmicky, yet the mind invasion scene didn't really go anywhere.

And yes, I like characters better when the events have at least some kind of impact on them. 1 dimensional characters can work, but I wasn't feeling it in this movie.

2. Spirited away, 2001, Hayao Miyazaki

The only reason this is not my nr 1 is because I can never quite get the same wonderful feeling back as watching this for the first time. Spirited away completely blew me away the first time I saw it. And looking at that picture it's clear I've far from seen the true beauty of this movie. Definitely my most anticipated blu-ray release and it's a shame I never got to see this in the cinema.
A wonderful magical story that never gets boring no matter how many times I watch it.

Around the Network

you almost described my #1  :D

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

2: The Dark Knight (2008) Christopher Nolan

I thought it would be amongst my top 5 or it wont even make the list.Its not just a batman movie its not just good or evil..this is the most philosophical movie I have ever seen. what drives us to do the things we do.. ..the scene on the ships why didnt they blow up each other? because of fear that something would have happend to them if they did..because it was not a part of their plan. why did harvey go nuts..also fear. he couldnt handle the fact living without rachel also not a part of his plan. joker: they are schemers trying to control their little worlds. i can also relate to this movie as I see people go nuts over something they simply can not handle I also see myself.. and of course there is this little thing called "hope". this is just one little part of the whole philosophical story. Simply amazing executed.. the whole philosophy is amongst the best in cinema history.

mostly nolan pushed the movie to far in some places. scene after scene there is this feeling of suspense which led to nowhere. Epic OST and the ending of this movie I consider one of the most satisfying.

This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets and immovable object.

Tsubasa Ozora

Hint for my n1 movie: Pao-Yeh-Pao-Lo-Mi

Tsubasa Ozora

I need to watch The dark knight again. It didn't make a big impression on me when I first watched it, but I can't remember anything wrong with it either. Maybe I was half asleep at the time. Blu-ray released December 2009, ah our first born was barely 6 months old at the time, that explains it.

Is your nr 1 movie from China?

kljesta64 said:
Hint for my n1 movie: Pao-Yeh-Pao-Lo-Mi

Did a serch and I'm guessing your #1 movie is A Chinese Ghost Story.