By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Top 50 Greatest Developers (by Edge)

Tagged games:

pezus said:
Kresnik said:
The biggest surprise for me is the omissions though.  No Squaresoft, Enix or Square-Enix (what the fuck).  No Rare.  No Retro Studios.  No Psygnosis.  No Insomniac Games.  No Japan Studio.  None of Namco's teams.  And the most glaring omissions of all: NO BULLFROG OR MAXIS.  Ugh, thanks Edge.  I'M GONNA GO AWAY AND BE ANGRY NOW AND YOUR RIDICULOUS & PRETENTIOUS LIST.

Bullfrog doesn't even exist anymore >_>

Are you trying to calm him or make him more angry?

Around the Network
pezus said:
Kresnik said:
The biggest surprise for me is the omissions though.  No Squaresoft, Enix or Square-Enix (what the fuck).  No Rare.  No Retro Studios.  No Psygnosis.  No Insomniac Games.  No Japan Studio.  None of Namco's teams.  And the most glaring omissions of all: NO BULLFROG OR MAXIS.  Ugh, thanks Edge.  I'M GONNA GO AWAY AND BE ANGRY NOW AND YOUR RIDICULOUS & PRETENTIOUS LIST.

Bullfrog doesn't even exist anymore >_>

I realised while I was away that they're all non-defunct developers.  Which makes the list all the more stupid.  They appear to be judging it on contributions made to the industry in the past year or two, but they named the list "Top 50 Greatest Developers".

So if Minecraft had come out 6 years ago, or The Sims had come out last year, then suddenly it'd be a completely different list.  Which again, is just ridiculous.  Either measure it on contributions made to the industry as a whole, or name your goddamn list "Top 50 Greatest Developers of 2012" or similar.  If Playdead release a complete turd of a next game, all of this would suddenly seem a bit silly because they made one good game and were praised to the high heavens, but clearly didn't have the vision to know where they were going next.

Also, Rockstar San Diego & Atlus were two more conspicuous absences that I thought of.

Valve on the top of this list is a cop out. Half Life 2 being name game of the decade was a cop out.

Its the answer that pisses off the least amount of internet nerds.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Cant argue with that Top 5. Pretty good list!

pezus said:
Chris Hu said:

Which one is from Iceland?  Also Turn 10 should be on that list they developed Forza 2, 3 and 4 and helped with the development of Forza Horizon and that is all this generation.

See the tagged game . Yeah, I'm surprised Turn 10 isn't up there.

Never heard of CCP Games before since I don't game on PC's.  Also the list is kinda lame since its not a 50 greatest developers of all time list and they don't really mention what time period it supposed to cover.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Valve on the top of this list is a cop out. Half Life 2 being name game of the decade was a cop out.

You are so right. This internet nerd was so pleased. If they didn't i'd have to scan down the list. 

Carl2291 said:
Cant argue with that Top 5. Pretty good list!

Maybe the Top 5 in general but not where some of them are placed. 

Mojang is too far ahead of Naughty Dog and Nintendo EAD for my liking. (And many other's too.)

I know it's just your opinion, Carl. But still.

pezus said:
MentalAlliance said:

It's too obvious that this list would be bad. Lists like this always get scolded, so I try not to pay attention to them or comment on them, but wow goodness gracious me! Mojang at #2?! That's a seriously embarrassing choice on their part. Mohjang shouldn't even be on the list if they wanted to pay respect to the industry.

Yes, it should. It's one of the most popular games of this generation, and for good reason. 

They essentially made one game and it was based off someone else's work. I just don't have a whole lot of respect for that.

pezus said:

Valve in recent years:

HL2: Episodes 1 and 2
L4D1-2
Portal 1-2
Team Fortress 2
CS: GO
Dota 2
Continue to make Steam a great service 

I honestly can't think of a developer that has made that many enjoyable and well received games in the past years. They've not even once made a flop.

No need to bring a completely different list into this. 

Yeah, I've only played Portal and Left 4 Dead and I agree they are a fitting #1.

pezus said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Valve in recent years:

HL2: Episodes 1 and 2
L4D1-2
Portal 1-2
Team Fortress 2
CS: GO
Dota 2
Continue to make Steam a great service 

I honestly can't think of a developer that has made that many enjoyable and well received games in the past years. They've not even once made a flop.

No need to bring a completely different list into this. 

Yeah... those games are fine. But would I consider those games better than what Nintendo EAD offers? Fuck no.

Also, I think it makes more sense to compare Valve to other companies. Not just individual studios. That means MS, Sony, or EA could be higher on that list if all their studios just shared a name.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)