By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A fair comparison to the WII U Launch

Look out, your thread may get locked like my Gamecube comparison did. If it doesn't, then its telling why mine got locked.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
NintendoPie said:
I stand corrected. The GameCube is outselling the Wii U... (Are these US numbers or something?)

Yes its US and we all know if the orginal wii wasn't sold out it would have did easily over 2.5 million for both november and december for its launch in the US.

Why are you bringing up the Wii? 

I thought this was supposed to be a fair comparison.

Conegamer said:

-Wikipedia launches
-Windows XP launches
-Original iPod launches
-Sky unveil their set-top box
-YouTube concept introduced

Yes, I can definefetly see how all those are very similar to Wii U

pezus said:
At people complaining about "doom threads": We've already had two clear PS4 doom threads this week, with no low sales numbers to talk about or without even knowing anything about it. In WiiU's case, we've got the numbers in front of us. Feel free to create PS4 doom threads if it doesn't meet expectations, but know that you making PS4 doom threads before it's out lowers expectations automatically, which means there should be less doom post-release.

Exactly!

Even that guy Pezus made a PS4 doom thread!

Player1x3 said:
Conegamer said:

-Wikipedia launches
-Windows XP launches
-Original iPod launches

Yes, I can definefetly see how all those are very similar to Wii U

That's not the point. I'm just saying how far we've come in that time and how different the world is. The very concept of smartphones probably wasn't even around!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
ninjablade said:
osed125 said:

Doom thread number 6, although I probably miss a couple.

This is not a doom thread, just giving a fair comparison for the misinformed.

So you choose the 2 consoles that have sold really low on gaming history just for coincidence? We all know the intentions of this thread, so you don't have to hide it.

I still remember when we had threads about how Wii NA alone outsold PS3 WW. From what I remember that was legit back then although it could be interpreted as having certain "intentions".

Lafiel said:
osed125 said:
ninjablade said:
osed125 said:

Doom thread number 6, although I probably miss a couple.

This is not a doom thread, just giving a fair comparison for the misinformed.

So you choose the 2 consoles that have sold really low on gaming history just for coincidence? We all know the intentions of this thread, so you don't have to hide it.

I still remember when we had threads about how Wii NA alone outsold PS3 WW. From what I remember that was legit back then although it could be interpreted as having certain "intentions".

Oh I'm expecting hundreds of those when the other consoles launch, no matter who "wins".

Nintendo and PC gamer

pezus said:
At people complaining about "doom threads": We've already had two clear PS4 doom threads this week, with no low sales numbers to talk about or without even knowing anything about it. In WiiU's case, we've got the numbers in front of us. Feel free to create PS4 doom threads if it doesn't meet expectations, but know that you making PS4 doom threads before it's out lowers expectations automatically, which means there should be less doom post-release.

..... that clearly show WiiU is selling at a good rate. So the doom threads are pretty stupid, biased, cherry-picked, and simply out of touch with reality.

My worldwide thread that compares WiiU to all of last gen is the only one that shows the full story and its clearly doing just fine. Maybe not come March... but for now, anyone claiming doom is simply being ignorant.

Conegamer said:
All you've done here is show that the launch period means absolutely nothing for the long-term success of a system. Those launches were 12 years ago now; the market and the competition has changed somewhat dramatically since then. If anything, your comparison is less than valid.

Let's remind us what happened in 2001:

-Wikipedia launches
-Windows XP launches
-Original iPod launches

That was a long time ago, you know. We can't tell anything from the WiiU launch, because it means nothing in terms of long-term success. Why oh why we need so many people to make threads on this (I pointed this out in the NPD thread I believe) baffles me.

launches give an indication if the system is in demand or not, we know for certian, wii, 360 and ps2 would out sold the gamecaube and xbox launches if they had been in stock, what's the wii u excuse, the price is very good for a new system and has it's biggest gaming franchise is available at launch, you can spin it all you want, this yea's sales in america and in europe will prove my point.

ninjablade said:

sorry i don't get your observation, when i ask you why did a system have a bad launch sales, i can tell you why each one of those systems did, but the wii u  launched with a killer app and plenty of stock, you reason why it had a bad launch cause it a start to a new generation, which makes no sense IMO, did ps2, wii and 360 have bad sales for there launch, yes they did but reason very simple there was no stock and basically proven by systems like the xbox and gamecube doing better sales and not anywhere near as populer.

Well, 360 would be the valid comparison, as the situation with Wii U is similar; the premium being sold out, if Iwata is to believe. This isn't the case Europe however, but as the comparison was NA sales...

Conegamer said:

That's not the point. I'm just saying how far we've come in that time and how different the world is. The very concept of smartphones probably wasn't even around!

Yeah, with the first smartphones being in the market in mid-90's.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.