By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A fair comparison to the WII U Launch

I'd also like to add that perhaps it's better for the Wii U to have a "slower burn" instead of an 18-month honeymoon period like the Wii got, where it sold like gangbusters for less than two years, and then dropped off a cliff, and most software support along with it.

A slower burn, similar to the PS3, allows the system to sell well over a longer period of time, which increases software support and console longevity in the long-run, even if the first year or so seems like a death sentence. Let's not forget 2007, people. PS3 had a rough first year, too.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network
Screamapillar said:
I'd also like to add that perhaps it's better for the Wii U to have a "slower burn" instead of an 18-month honeymoon period like the Wii got, where it sold like gangbusters for less than two years, and then dropped off a cliff, and most software support along with it.

A slower burn, similar to the PS3, allows the system to sell well over a longer period of time, which increases software support and console longevity in the long-run, even if the first year or so seems like a death sentence. Let's not forget 2007, people. PS3 had a rough first year, too.

the ps3 was a slow burner only because of the price.

ninjablade said:
Screamapillar said:

the ps3 was a slow burner only because of the price.

I like this comparison, because it is more realistic than to compare to PS360. PS3/360 were the first consoles to really turn the tide, which I just can't see happening with Wii U.

ninjablade said:
sorry i don't get your observation, when i ask you why did a system have a bad launch sales, i can tell you why each one of those systems did, but the wii u  launched with a killer app and plenty of stock, you reason why it had a bad launch cause it a start to a new generation, which makes no sense IMO, did ps2, wii and 360 have bad sales for there launch, yes they did but reason very simple there was no stock and basically proven by systems like the xbox and gamecube doing better sales and not anywhere near as populer.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

Anyway, the obvious question should be "why is the Wii U selling the way that it is?" It's easy to go "because people don't like it", but that's something that you need more than just speculation for.

My observation was purely a matter of curiosity. That's why it wasn't put forward as an actual argument. It hints at a possible situation that may be influencing the numbers. Whether you "get" the observation is irrelevant. Having said that, the issue was essentially a repeat of the issue with the 360 launch - two SKUs, one vastly preferred by consumers, resulting in selling out of one SKU and the other SKU remaining on the shelves. It could be an indication that the comparison with the 360 is a good one.

Xbox and Gamecube really aren't a good way to make the comparison. They sold better at launch than the Wii did. They sold better at launch than the PS2 did, if I'm not mistaken. They were, essentially, the biggest-selling launches of all time. It's just not a fair comparison, which is the point I made to start at the start. If one wants to compare the Wii U launch with something, there has to be similarity to begin with. What does the Wii U have in common with the Xbox and Gamecube, other than being gaming systems? The list is very, very short. So, basically, such a comparison is a comparison of apples with oranges.

Around the Network

Wii U is actually doing pretty good right now but because its the holiday season

osed125 said:
Jay520 said:
osed125 said:

You don't need to hide your intentions, they are obvious. It's the same as Nintendo fans making threads about the Vita, the gaming community sometimes makes me sick.

This is correct. Fans of X console will criticize Y console when it's doing bad, and vice-versa. It's an inevitable phenomenon that will exist forever as long as competiting consoles exist. Also, technically, these threads are legit comparisons which break no rules. 

Considering the inevitability and legitimacy of these threads, there really is no point in complaining. Unless of course you can objectively demonstrate fallacious logic or rule-breaking behavior. Otherwise you just sound like a bitter fan proving that you are upset with these threads, which is more harmful than helpful; it discourages meaningful, serious discussion (which should be preferred over an explicit doom thread). And if the thread is truly bait, then you help to accomplish its goal. 

Granted, most of the people who make these threads probably also act on emotions; but they at least present legit data. When confronted with threads like this, there are two suitable responses. (A) Ignore the thread altogether, or (B) Turn the thread into a meaningful serious discussion - doing may actually expose flaws within the OP rendering it ineffective at spreading doom.  And if not, it at least creates a serious theme for the thread, preventing the childish, shallow "LOL DOOM" responses.

I'm just tired of this "revenge" threads, but you are right I should just avoid them.

revenge for what?