By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you play pokemon still and how old are you?

Do you still play pokemon? If o how old are you?

No 46 18.25%

10-13 4 1.59%

14-17 26 10.32%

17-21 65 25.79%

22-26 64 25.40%

27-31 28 11.11%

32-35 3 1.19%

36 or older 6 2.38%

Total:242

No, not really,. It's been a long time since I actively played Pokemon. And that's not because I think it's kiddy, it's because the franchise hasn't excited me due to it's similarities from iteration to iteration, but X/Y has me excited and it looks great! Now I know that the gameplay might not evolve much (which was why I wasn't excited for new releases in the past), but at least it has an exciting new look.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
TSweirdo said:

I'm 23 and I play Pokemon. Though I took a break from Pokemon after Gen 2 and ended up missing out on Gen 3, I rejoined the series after playing FireRed.

Same age as me huh!? Dont miss out again a new gen comes out so long, But at least your still here for probably one of the best generations to come (gen6)

Don't worry I don't intend too. The series' up to 3D is something I'm not going to miss.

Pokemon Y FC: 1461-6202-2180

in-game name: Matthew

I started with Blue back in the day, and I've been a big fan of the games ever since, and now I'm 19. I've owned at least one game from each generation, even the remakes. Every time they come out with a new Pokemon game, I have it. Except for Pokemon Black/White 2. I'm just not feeling it this time. But I plan on getting Pokemon X or Y.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Alphachris said:
So, the only Pokemon Game that I played so far was Pokemon Stadium on the N64. I always was on the brink of buying one but ultimately I did not. I am a huge JRPG fan, but I didn't like Pokemon Stadium.

For me a JRPG is defined by two things:

1) The battlesystem is built around strategy instead of action. So instead of dodging and attacking as my reflexes allow I use my intellect to find a proper strategy. The damage is calculated by values that you can alter through better equipment or a higher Level.

2) A JRPGs tells a story that make you feel about the characters. The focus lies on the motivation of the characters and the story follows a serious approach. Throughtout the game you see the characters reflecting about what is going on and how they feel. A JRPG has similiarities with a quality theatre play in my opinion.

So, with this in mind, what is the story of Pokemon. I always have get the feeling that there is no proper story. Your character just travels around the world and tries to become the most famous Pokemon trainer by winning tournaments. Or am I wrong with that impression? Because from what I have seen so far Pokemon is not a true JRPG (storyrelated), its more a pure turnbased strategy game. And thats why I always stopped a moment before I was going to buy a Pokemon game.

So, what you say is basically Pokemon is a RPG (point 1) but not a JRPG. Fine with me, I don't like most JRPGs, I more like the classical RPGs. And really, Pokemon is a lot like them and has some interesting differences.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

27 and still loving everything about the series.

Pikachu's the greatest!