By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

CCFanboy said:
This is just absolutely asking for failure. Even though 99% of my games are new I still have to buy the odd game from long ago pre-owned because its too hard to find new anymore.

Sony is not retarded to implement something like this alone, what can be happening is the industry(Sony, MS, publishers and developers) making this together, in order to stop the sales of used games or at least, to make money with used ones, with a tax of liscencing, where the person who buys a used game also needs to pay a tax to have the right to play it.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:

let's remember that it can be used to make developers make money with used games

It can also make third parties make more money on wii u next go around. Thanks sony. Your too kind.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

SecondWar said:
bananaking21 said:
sniper989 said:
dont buy used games anyway

its not about if you buy used games or not, it's about the principle. you BUY a game it becomes YOURS. you have the right to sell it as you like

That isn't how it works (regardless of how you feel it should). You have really bought a license to play the game ie the right to play it. Saing the game is yours suggest you own the right to the code, which is never the case in software (and this is where the more fundamental pirates start their argument).

yeah somebody already said that. but im not buying the technology, im buying the product. like when i buy the car, i can use it and sell it as i like. but when i buy it i dont buy the technology they used or blueprints or what ever.  to me its the same concept, and if sony want to do it as i said, they can go fuck them selfs

CCFanboy said:
This is just absolutely asking for failure. Even though 99% of my games are new I still have to buy the odd game from long ago pre-owned because its too hard to find new anymore.

That is definetly a big concern, but it is outdated. Sony will for sure have 100% availability of every PS4 retail title on PSN, just like they are doing for Vita. In the same way PSone classics blew open the flood gates for people to play older, hard to find titles, so will the full digital library. Even if they destroy used games, the only losers are gamers without internet access who waited until games were not avialable new in stores, those who buy used games to save money or as the only means of affording games, those who often lend out games to their friends, and of course the used game industry. Gamestop will have to think hard about how to maintain their business after something like this destroys their cash cow. Unless they can get larger cuts from new game sales, Gamestop is going to look very Nintendo heavy next gen because rumors suggest Microsoft may play this card too.

Funny thing is, if Nintendo is the only used game system then their popularity will shoot up but the used game only buyers will flood them while Sony and Microsoft sell new games and digital games. Nintendo isn't doing full digital library are they?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

bananaking21 said:
if they really do this sony can go fuck them selfs

Microsoft said last year they research into that too.
Everyone is - Sony,Microsoft and Publishers are crying cause they want this to stop.

And i like that.
Don't care who finds the solution the other one will copy it anyway and thats a good thing.
Buying games used is worse than piracy and should be sentenced with 10 years in jail at least.
Cause publishers are right - IT IS STEALING but the only difference to piracy is people think they do something right LOL

Get a job and money and buy the games you really need and want.
People without many shouldn't play anyway - They should look for a job.They shouldn't worry about if they can buy the game new or wait till it gets cheaper.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:Sony is not retarded to implement something like this alone, what can be happening is the industry(Sony, MS, publishers and developers) making this together, in order to stop the sales of used games or at least, to make money with used ones, with a tax of liscencing, where the person who buys a used game also needs to play a tax to have the right to play it.

The fact they actually filed a patent is concerning. I feel for developers and publishers but they need to remember where they get their money from. Not even the blindest of fanboys would support anti used game measures. If companies and retailers can come to an agreement then things will be different but if they actually implement this feature people will stand up to it.

My comment was aimed at the patent they filed just to fill people in.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

YukanaSenix said:
bananaking21 said:
if they really do this sony can go fuck them selfs

Microsoft said last year they research into that too.
Everyone is - Sony,Microsoft and Publishers are crying cause they want this to stop.

And i like that.
Don't care who finds the solution the other one will copy it anyway and thats a good thing.
Buying games used is worse than piracy and should be sentenced with 10 years in jail at least.

Get a job and money and buy the games you really need and want.
People without many shouldn't play anyway - They should look for a job.They shouldn't worry about if they can buy the game new or wait till it gets cheaper.

so what about the people who have a job but dont get paid well? or the people who got layed off because their country is going through a bad ecnomical time? or what about the people who dont want to spend 60$ on a game that is worth 20$? some people are more fortunate than others, and if your saying that the less fortunate should play less/no games then your wrong. 

They're not going to do that, it's a ridiculous idea. I would boycott any console that had this implemented.

I don´t see them truly enforcing this (for now, at least), but if they do, then I won´t buy the system out of principle.

It´s not about the money (which isn´t a problem to me), but it´s so anti-consumer and I can´t support such a move.

If Sony did this, it would be..... interesting.

I wonder how many hardcore fans would defend such a move, even though it is indefensible.

I also wonder how it would affect the performance of their console. Third parties might bet on it at first, because they would want it to become the industry standard. But I think ultimately, consumers would thoroughly reject the idea and rout the idea of killing the used game market.

People keep forgetting that games consoles and games are, in most people's eyes toys and just like people wouldn't want some anti-customer bullshit when buying a tennis raquet or a barbie doll, they're not going to accept it with games. It would take a flood of exclusive system sellers of 20+ million magnitude to make this viable.

I LOVE ICELAND!