By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

Just accept it, some day, there won't be physical media, only downloadable games, as PC gamers are used to do now via Steam, and when this day comes, there won't be used games anymore.

Developers want it on consoles because the development costs increase every new generation, and they need to increase their profits to continue investing in other AAAs, if they can stop, or at least, make money through 2h games with a tax that gives a person who bought this used game the right to play it, they will want it.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
kitler53 said:
bananaking21 said:
sniper989 said:
dont buy used games anyway

its not about if you buy used games or not, it's about the principle. you BUY a game it becomes YOURS. you have the right to sell it as you like

legally you aren't buying the game, only the license to play the game.  not really different i suppose then why you can't buy a single windows OS disc and install it on as many computers as you want ... because you bought a license and that license is for a specified (limited) number of devices.

...but as a business practise this probably has a more negative impacts then benifits.  i doubt it will in actually get used game buyers to buy new software.  ..more likely they'll just buy wii U's or xbox's instead.

ok but when i pay for a game i have the right to use it, if for some reason i lost my psn account along with my console i cant even play it even though i bought it. and dont tell me the chances of that happening are slim because it happened to me. and lets say i want to play it at a friends house, suddenly i cant?

like i said, bad business. i completely agree with you on that point.  as kowenicki just said, "it would be suicide".  as big of a sony fan as i am and even though i only buy new games...   i dunno.  i just dunno if i could deal with those kinds of restrictions. i sometimes trade games with my friends. i've once or twice bought a used game just because it was out of print to buy it new.  what happens if my ps3 breaks?  the stupid online pass is dumb enough and i don't want more roadblock between me and they games i purchase.  ..but they could do it, legally.

the only way i would accept this is is sony's gaikai purchase (the cloud service) does so reallly cool things that allows me to tie my disc purchases to that and take me games elsewhere via the cloud or something something. i probably have unrealistic expectations of what sony will/can do with that cloud but i'm at least open to the idea that consumership as i currently know it could be very different in the future.

kowenicki said:
KHlover said:
kowenicki said:
amp316 said:
They need to get the sales for PSABR up somehow.

whoaaa if I had said that....

If anyone except a mod had said that..

yeah, but especially me. lol

Its not what you put down its how you put it. I bash Sony stuff all the time (when it needs bashing) but because i aint just blatantly being an idiot about it, i dont get called out. 

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Awww man this would be such a bad move, there are so many games I own which I recommend to friends and give them a lend of my copies to try out and see what they think and often go on to buy their own copy, this would kill this practice altogether. I know it's easy for a lot of people to download demos and trial modes of games from Psn and XBL but my brother and 1 mate have 0 internet access and one other friend has a download limit which has him counting the Jpgs he downloads.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I'm a Sony fan, but if they implement this into PS4, I'm gonna play me some Halo next gen.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

Some ideas ought not be patented, because the mere suggestion is both damaging and damning. Without the used market not only do consumers suffer, but the industry as a whole suffers. The second hand market reinforces the first hand market in countless ways. Second hand sales not only facilitate a larger marketplace as a whole, because more consumers are able to afford to game in the first place. Second hand sales also allow the sellers to invest proceeds from those sales into purchasing new games. Any suggestion that effectively decreases the total number of potential consumers, and decreases primary sales. Is a suggestion that shouldn't be made.

The irony in this thread thus far is that the people who don't see a problem for themselves. Since they do not buy used games, or sell used games. Are being oblivious to the fact that this market provides dividends to them even if they do not participate. This market increases the size of the player base, and funds the primary market. If you remove this market. Less consoles get sold, fewer games get sold, and that means you have to pay the difference one way or the other. Be it fewer titles to choose from, or a higher price at the register. It also stands to reason that the overall quality would probably plummet.

If you need a concrete example what do you think would happen to the automobile industry if such a scenario were to play out in that market. Gas prices might go down for awhile, but you would end up carrying more of the infrastructure costs. Service stations would have to charge more, because they would be servicing fewer patrons. Repair costs would rise, because fewer people would need the servicing in the first place. Your own infrastructure costs would skyrocket. Everyone pays registration, and licensing fees, and those are basically taxes to upkeep the roads. Your taxes would have to increase to make up the difference for those that are no longer paying.

The point I am making is that killing the second hand market would be really bad for you as a gamer. In the end it would be bad for the supplier as well. Even filing this patent damages the market. It decreases faith in the safety of the market. At least for Sony's market, because even if it isn't implemented people cannot have faith that it will not be implemented mid stream. Sony has shown a willingness to redesign the core functionality of its machines on the fly.

Filing this patent is a fundamentally stupid act.

That's one way to increase 3rd party support

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Would it be possible to write up this protection to allow use on 2 different systems with 2 different accounts? Perhaps Sony is looking to restrict number of resales on physical games?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

If that happens then SONY is freaking fucking super stupid!!

And if that happens I hope nintendo step up with their games that really interest me so I won't be forced to buy a Sony console.

It isn't something that only Sony plans, but it can usually be a strong lobby with developers and publishers that want to profit more. Anybody alone can't implement a pattern, it needs the support of other major industry. Do you think that the Blu-ray would win if Sony didn't get the support of the industry, creating the BD association?