By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

How about just get rid of Gamestop?
Damn Gamestop!

Around the Network

Omg wow, this happens and consider ps4 dead to me. If ms does this too than consider my console gaming over!

NobleTeam360 said:
trent44 said:

Sony seems to forget that if the PS4 blocks used games, I have options to take my business many other places (NES, SMS, TG-16, TG-CD, GEN, GB, SNES, GG, SAT, PS1, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, GC, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, etc.)

There is an old adage I like to use here, Keep It Simple Stupid. The more they make things convoluted, costly, complicated, etc. the more people they will push away.

The reason the DS did so well was because of it hit all the right points with consumers: $149.99 hardware, all games $39.99 or less, PLUG AND PLAY, tons of exclusive games, etc.

And perhaps just as important, it was absent of any of the negatives the industry has been/plans to implement: blocking used games, raising prices, way less exclusives/original IP, online passes, download only content that is locked to an account and never comes down in price, long load times, advertisements, day one patches, mandatory system updates embedded on games, game installs, etc.

It is a substantial measurable cost of many hours of time and money per year, just to deal with those negatives.

The average price of games will also increase without a second hand market (removing competing prices of substitute goods). New games can be $60 or more forever with no alternative price to compete with.

Blocking used games is simply the final straw that will push consumers elsewhere to find entertainment.

And to top it off, if XBOX 8 chooses to not block used games while PS4 does block them, then Sony would hemorrhage a MASSIVE amount of market share to Microsoft.

I just hope Sony has considered all of this, it would be a shame to see them go down in flames.

No xbox?

And no 3DO, 32x, Jaguar, Lynx...

well Gamestop will be pissed off... because used games is how they make money.

Lyrikalstylez said:
Omg wow, this happens and consider ps4 dead to me. If ms does this too than consider my console gaming over!

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
Siko1989 said:
well Gamestop will be pissed off... because used games is how they make money.

If this happens, pretty much every retailer that sells used games will take hits.

Not going to happen, suicidal move. What this actually means is:

1. Digital copy
2. Gaikai copy

Put the disc in, you now have the download version for your hard drive and the Gaikai version for tablets etc. all connected to your account. Sell the game, the new person registers using the disc and you lose the digital/Gaikai copy. This is far more likely, in my opinion.

The patent basically seems to be the check for whether it is registered to you or not. It doesn't seem to say what it then does with that information (eg. then prompts you to register)

(Disclamer, I'm no patent expert so may be completely off)

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Honestly I like buying new games..I can see them implementing a system that allows the game to sold and bought ( once ) .. This will keep the GameStops of the world from reselling each game 10 times over - each time raping all of us. Think about it.. If you're lucky GameStop gives you 15 dollars.. haha.. then they turn around and sell it for 49 dollars ( a mere 10 dollars less then a new disc ) ..

Why should Gamestop continuously profit from the fruits of game developers - Effectively acting as the Video Game Pawn Shop of The World ?!

If Sony and MS are smart they will roll out a system that's restricting as they want - to a point. Meaning - they will restrict used game sells - but allow it by - as I said above - Allowing the disc to be sold and transferred to another console once. This would at least allow for more games to be sold new - yet allow a fair market for people to sell the games they don't want anymore to someone at a fair price. Either way you look at it - this maybe something we have no choice in. I sorta expect Sony to do this before M$ does.. because Sony did it first through the Sony music and movie divisions to cut back on piracy..