By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

This would be a huge mistake for sony, I already hate the network pass thing they have going on -_-

Around the Network
think-man said:
This would be a huge mistake for sony, I already hate the network pass thing they have going on -_-

To be honest, I rather then do the network pass thing forever. If you don't want to play multi-player then don't pay for it, its only fair.

Rumors of PS4 Restricting Used Games Send GameStop Stock Tumbling

GameStop's stock price closed lower by $1.30—a five percent loss overall—after word this morning that Sony had applied for a patent on technology that could restrict how used games are played on its next console......

http://kotaku.com/5972954/rumors-of-ps4-restricting-used-games-sends-gamestop-stock-tumbling?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:

GameStop's stock price closed lower by $1.30—a five percent loss overall—after word this morning that Sony had applied for a patent on technology that could restrict how used games are played on its next console......

http://kotaku.com/5972954/rumors-of-ps4-restricting-used-games-sends-gamestop-stock-tumbling?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

And NintendoPie said this wouldn't hurt GameStop...

Why is everyone moaning about this? Not like it's a problem to start with. PS fans has no friends to share/loan the games anyways.

Around the Network

i dont think sony will fully take away the used game market. I see a scenario where Sony will restrict the buyers of trading their game back in within 3 months of purchase or something like that. That way the first 3 months of games sales will be new only and mean more money?

bonkers555 said:
LivingMetal said:
I hardly ever buy used games anyway. Besides, I'm all for supporting the game developer because that's what's driving the gaming industry.

If you want to support them then go ahead and pay the extra $40 on DLC after you purchase a full $60 retail game. Just leave the used game market alone where a LOT of people use to help afford gaming. And developers are not driving the gaming industry, dedicated gamers and fans are what driving the gaming industry.

I only pay for things I think is worth the price.  If I feel like paying "full" price for a game when first released like a limited edition, I will.  Otherwise, I normally wait for a price drop, or I wait for a GOTY edition to get the dlc.  And I normally do leave the used gaming market alone since I hardly buy used games.  And I never said developers drive the gaming industry.  I said my (and others) support of developers is driving the gaming industry by giving them my financial support so they can continue making games.  Please do not twist my points around and put words into my mouth just because I make valid points that cannot be legitimately argued.

Chark said:

I think this is coincedental but humorous in a twisted sort of way.

amp316 said:
They need to get the sales for PSABR up somehow.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

Yay!!!

Sony is not dumb enough to do this.