By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

Just like steam then. If you are used to steam on pc gaming, then this is nothing new or surprising.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Used games are bad juju anyway, don't buy them.

On the other hand, GameStop would really get hurt by this!

Oh yes they would. Used games help them a lot.

maxspeeds said:
Just like steam then. If you are used to steam on pc gaming, then this is nothing new or surprising.

With one major difference - many console gamers like to bring games over to their friends or lend games from them. PC gamers not so much.

IamAwsome said:
NintendoPie said:
Used games are bad juju anyway, don't buy them.

On the other hand, GameStop would really get hurt by this!

Oh yes they would. Used games help them a lot.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell... You're avatar makes everything seem sarcastic.

I doubt Sony will go ahead with this Patent.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
bananaking21 said:
sniper989 said:
dont buy used games anyway

its not about if you buy used games or not, it's about the principle. you BUY a game it becomes YOURS. you have the right to sell it as you like

That isn't how it works (regardless of how you feel it should). You have really bought a license to play the game ie the right to play it. Saing the game is yours suggest you own the right to the code, which is never the case in software (and this is where the more fundamental pirates start their argument).

Tell that the high european court. There are now multiple law suits that in consequence allow to resell used software in the EU.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

This patent will make games classy girls, faithful to their man console. If they stray, they will be labelled as whores and other consoles would want nothing to do with them.

Does that sum up this patent? :P.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I hardly ever buy used games anyway. Besides, I'm all for supporting the game developer because that's what's driving the gaming industry.

bananaking21 said:
YukanaSenix said:
bananaking21 said:
if they really do this sony can go fuck them selfs

Microsoft said last year they research into that too.
Everyone is - Sony,Microsoft and Publishers are crying cause they want this to stop.

And i like that.
Don't care who finds the solution the other one will copy it anyway and thats a good thing.
Buying games used is worse than piracy and should be sentenced with 10 years in jail at least.

Get a job and money and buy the games you really need and want.
People without many shouldn't play anyway - They should look for a job.They shouldn't worry about if they can buy the game new or wait till it gets cheaper.

so what about the people who have a job but dont get paid well? or the people who got layed off because their country is going through a bad ecnomical time? or what about the people who dont want to spend 60$ on a game that is worth 20$? some people are more fortunate than others, and if your saying that the less fortunate should play less/no games then your wrong. 

Not to forget the people who want to play a classic game they missed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

IamAwsome said:
Birimbau said:

If you can't have internet, it also means that you can't have a console. because for me, it's hard to believe that a person who can have a console and afford original games can't have internet at home.

There are some rural areas that either don't have internet at all, or it isn't the best, or it's expensive. 

That's not all: my sister never bothers to connect her devices to the internet, only her laptop has access. I think she is not the only one, who doesn't see the point in connecting the game-device to the internet.