By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

Nsanity said:

I doubt Sony will go ahead with this Patent.

i don't know sony is losing a lot of money and they have online passes in some of their games 

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
SecondWar said:
bananaking21 said:
sniper989 said:
dont buy used games anyway

its not about if you buy used games or not, it's about the principle. you BUY a game it becomes YOURS. you have the right to sell it as you like

That isn't how it works (regardless of how you feel it should). You have really bought a license to play the game ie the right to play it. Saing the game is yours suggest you own the right to the code, which is never the case in software (and this is where the more fundamental pirates start their argument).

Tell that the high european court. There are now multiple law suits that in consequence allow to resell used software in the EU.

I never said you couldn't sell the license. That is what you are doing whenever you trade a game in.

People it WONT HAPPEN.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Sony seems to forget that if the PS4 blocks used games, I have options to take my business many other places (NES, SMS, TG-16, TG-CD, GEN, GB, SNES, GG, SAT, PS1, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, GC, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, etc.)

There is an old adage I like to use here, Keep It Simple Stupid. The more they make things convoluted, costly, complicated, etc. the more people they will push away.

The reason the DS did so well was because of it hit all the right points with consumers: $149.99 hardware, all games $39.99 or less, PLUG AND PLAY, tons of exclusive games, etc.

And perhaps just as important, it was absent of any of the negatives the industry has been/plans to implement: blocking used games, raising prices, way less exclusives/original IP, online passes, download only content that is locked to an account and never comes down in price, long load times, advertisements, day one patches, mandatory system updates embedded on games, game installs, etc.

It is a substantial measurable cost of many hours of time and money per year, just to deal with those negatives.

The average price of games will also increase without a second hand market (removing competing prices of substitute goods). New games can be $60 or more forever with no alternative price to compete with.

Blocking used games is simply the final straw that will push consumers elsewhere to find entertainment.

And to top it off, if XBOX 8 chooses to not block used games while PS4 does block them, then Sony would hemorrhage a MASSIVE amount of market share to Microsoft.

I just hope Sony has considered all of this, it would be a shame to see them go down in flames.

Kasz216 said:

Well, if that happens i'll probably not buy a Sony console ever again. I play a lot of games therefore i don't always get the ones i'm interested in while they are still in print. Hell, i'll still buy SNES and PS1 games today.

Consoles aren't like PC where i can be fairly certain the architecture to get old school games will always be around.

Besides, economic theory shows second hand sales HELP new sales.  As people who buy the games know they can resell them and recoup a part of their initial investment.

And provide people with a low-cost shot at trying out a franchise. Buy LittleBigPlanet for $15 used, find out you like it, buy LittleBigPlanet 3 for Orbis for $60.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Like someone else said Sony isn't stupid enough to implement this it would completely crush their gaming division. Heck Gamestop could just threaten to stop selling Sony items if they did this.

trent44 said:

Sony seems to forget that if the PS4 blocks used games, I have options to take my business many other places (NES, SMS, TG-16, TG-CD, GEN, GB, SNES, GG, SAT, PS1, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, GC, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, etc.)

There is an old adage I like to use here, Keep It Simple Stupid. The more they make things convoluted, costly, complicated, etc. the more people they will push away.

The reason the DS did so well was because of it hit all the right points with consumers: $149.99 hardware, all games $39.99 or less, PLUG AND PLAY, tons of exclusive games, etc.

And perhaps just as important, it was absent of any of the negatives the industry has been/plans to implement: blocking used games, raising prices, way less exclusives/original IP, online passes, download only content that is locked to an account and never comes down in price, long load times, advertisements, day one patches, mandatory system updates embedded on games, game installs, etc.

It is a substantial measurable cost of many hours of time and money per year, just to deal with those negatives.

The average price of games will also increase without a second hand market (removing competing prices of substitute goods). New games can be $60 or more forever with no alternative price to compete with.

Blocking used games is simply the final straw that will push consumers elsewhere to find entertainment.

And to top it off, if XBOX 8 chooses to not block used games while PS4 does block them, then Sony would hemorrhage a MASSIVE amount of market share to Microsoft.

I just hope Sony has considered all of this, it would be a shame to see them go down in flames.

No xbox?

Just because there's a patent on it doesn't mean it's going to be used. It just prevents someone else from filing the patent, or they owe Sony money if they decide to use the "feature."

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
NintendoPie said:
IamAwsome said:
NintendoPie said:
Used games are bad juju anyway, don't buy them.

On the other hand, GameStop would really get hurt by this!

Oh yes they would. Used games help them a lot.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell... You're avatar makes everything seem sarcastic.

lol, I'm serious

Well if they do like they did originally for psn games: allow recognition on up to 5 activated consoles for a psn account then the borrow among friends thing could work. Better not to implement as it would mean mostly only the die hard Sony fan will buy the ps4 unless all console makers implement it which Sony knows who much pooh they get into when they try to put unilaterally try to put these sorts of controls in place. If MS and Ninty don't sign up for it then it won't happen.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix