By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

NobleTeam360 said:
trent44 said:

Sony seems to forget that if the PS4 blocks used games, I have options to take my business many other places (NES, SMS, TG-16, TG-CD, GEN, GB, SNES, GG, SAT, PS1, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, GC, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, etc.)

There is an old adage I like to use here, Keep It Simple Stupid. The more they make things convoluted, costly, complicated, etc. the more people they will push away.

The reason the DS did so well was because of it hit all the right points with consumers: $149.99 hardware, all games $39.99 or less, PLUG AND PLAY, tons of exclusive games, etc.

And perhaps just as important, it was absent of any of the negatives the industry has been/plans to implement: blocking used games, raising prices, way less exclusives/original IP, online passes, download only content that is locked to an account and never comes down in price, long load times, advertisements, day one patches, mandatory system updates embedded on games, game installs, etc.

It is a substantial measurable cost of many hours of time and money per year, just to deal with those negatives.

The average price of games will also increase without a second hand market (removing competing prices of substitute goods). New games can be $60 or more forever with no alternative price to compete with.

Blocking used games is simply the final straw that will push consumers elsewhere to find entertainment.

And to top it off, if XBOX 8 chooses to not block used games while PS4 does block them, then Sony would hemorrhage a MASSIVE amount of market share to Microsoft.

I just hope Sony has considered all of this, it would be a shame to see them go down in flames.

No xbox?

I guess I never bought an Xbox or Xbox 360.

Though you do have point, I could still pick one up as well as games for it.

And then there is also the Atari 2600, but I don't think I have anything I could plug that into...

Around the Network

Why patent this technology? Wouldn't it benefit Sony if Microsoft followed suit so they wouldn't be the only ones to receive the backlash?

Its just a patent and it doesn't mean it will get used. Sony has been doing patents like crazy and my question is which one will get used but i bet they won't use this patent because they know Gamestop will not sell their next playstation

NiKKoM said:
LemonSlice said:
KHlover said:
Well, unless they additionally implement a fingerprint scanner it won't affect me. They still can fuck themselves, though.

Actually there was something in there about a "bone marrow biopsy". Anyone know what's that about?

Somewhere.. someplace.. an employee of sony reads this and is gonna implement this.. couldn't you just say something like: "using ps-eye to scan your eye and unlock your game disc." but noooo... you had to go with "bone marrow biopsy"...

If you think that about bone marrow biopsy  your not gonna like the other option , that was to do away with disk and console identification altogether and replace it with gamers  undergoing a rectal implant , and every time they purchased a new game  the info is recorded to the implant by a large hand held probe and then rescanned at home every time you play , there is an upside though you wont have to buy a home probe if you already have a move since that can be retro-ed to do the job , still as someone with around 2,000 games all I can say is Oh my aching .....

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Nah I doubt this will get implemented. Sure as hell hope not.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

suicidal

superchunk said:
Pretty much sucks. I like buying used (and even reselling). I thought the code to get online was fair to charge for when it was resold as there is an actual cost associated with the servers and thus a new user getting the game should chip in. But, stopping all used game sells is just bad.

Those of you ok with this, what if it followed suit in other markets? Cars, clothes, books, etc? Why is it different for books and movies? This simply isn't right in any shape or form. An active used market is good for everyone as it still keeps money pumping through the market as the game was bought new at some point and likely that person (and others) will buy more new games too due to saving money with the used market. I know it works like that for me.

I'm not against used games just the model , there is little separation between used and new and it's sold side by side something rarely seen in other retail outlets  , also in lots of cases the retailers actively push used to the detriment of new such as when I take a new game to the counter  and stand there like a dummy why they check for a used version that i never asked for.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

LivingMetal said:
I hardly ever buy used games anyway. Besides, I'm all for supporting the game developer because that's what's driving the gaming industry.

If you want to support them then go ahead and pay the extra $40 on DLC after you purchase a full $60 retail game. Just leave the used game market alone where a LOT of people use to help afford gaming. And developers are not driving the gaming industry, dedicated gamers and fans are what driving the gaming industry.

if they do do some kind of lock for used games i bet we will have to pay 10 dollars to unlock them.
but sony will never do this it will be a nail in there coffin for good and same with MS doing it with the 720

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

If pre owned dies expect the entire industry to completely tank for several years.

It wont be the end of gaming but it would have a huge negative effect on the industry as a whole for years. There would be huge dips in both hardware and software sales