By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

I think MS will do the same - which is *really* bad for many gamers but let's face it: when games are digital only the used-games-market won't exist anymore for these games.

Around the Network
radishhead said:
That's one way to increase 3rd party support

If anyone but a mod said this...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Birimbau said:

Just accept it, some day, there won't be physical media, only downloadable games, as PC gamers are used to do now via Steam, and when this day comes, there won't be used games anymore.

(..)

The day this happens is the day I stop buying new hardware/software, no matter who does it. I'll just stick to the first 7 or 8 generations of consoles and handhelds.

Besides the fact that I like to see and hold my purchases, I don't trust these kinds of practices. What ensurance do I have that I can keep playing the games I bought, a decade down the line? I still play most of my old games, played Mega Man 2 just this morning, I'd like to be able to keep doing that. I'd like to still be able to play a good game from 2015 when it's 2035, like I do a 1991 game in 2013. Basically, if this happens, we'd be on a leash.

EDIT: That last sentence has a bit of a dramatic flair to it but anyways .

S.Peelman said:
Birimbau said:

Just accept it, some day, there won't be physical media, only downloadable games, as PC gamers are used to do now via Steam, and when this day comes, there won't be used games anymore.

(..)

The day this happens is the day I stop buying new hardware/software, no matter who does it. I'll just stick to the first 7 or 8 generations of consoles and handhelds.

Besides the fact that I like to see and hold my purchases, I don't trust these kinds of practices. What ensurance do I have that I can keep playing the games I bought, a decade down the line? I still play most of my old games, played Mega Man 2 just this morning, I'd like to be able to keep doing that. I'd like to still be able to play a good game from 2015 when it's 2035, like I do a 1991 game in 2013. Basically, if this happens, we'd be on a leash.

Ok, it's you right to stay in past, but I won't, as a PC gamer, I'm used to buying digital games. It can be something hard to console gamers accept, because they are used to staying in the past, but nothing can stop the evolution of digital media and cloud gaming.

I think Sony and Microsoft are prepping to rid themselves of Gamestop a gen after this one. They still need them for now. It will take a while to get people used to digital media. One more gen is all the time they need.

Around the Network

Well.. Inkt cartridges for printers has a similiar system of having some kinda chip on the cartridges so only true new cartridges from the manufactur can be used and not refilled one.. if this would happen something similiar would happen: some 16 year old nerdy kid who lives in his mother basement will create some device that resets the gamedisc to new...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Birimbau said:
S.Peelman said:
Birimbau said:

(..)

Ok, it's you right to stay in past, but I won't, as a PC gamer, I'm used to buying digital games. It can be something hard to console gamers accept, because they are used to staying in the past, but nothing can stop the evolution of digital media and cloud gaming.

I buy my PC games retail too, and I only have a Steam account because this was required in order to play (a retail copy of) Empire and Napoleon: Total War. Ain't happy about that either, but this is the absolute furthest I'm willing to go personally. But yes, it's each their own of course .

kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I think Sony and Microsoft are prepping to rid themselves of Gamestop a gen after this one. They still need them for now. It will take a while to get people used to digital media. One more gen is all the time they need.

Gen after the 720/PS4 will be mostly digital anyway.

second half of 720/ps4 will be mostly digital anyways.  from what i've seen ps360 is quickly inching up to the 50% mark already.

This is just absolutely asking for failure. Even though 99% of my games are new I still have to buy the odd game from long ago pre-owned because its too hard to find new anymore.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

bananaking21 said:
sniper989 said:
dont buy used games anyway

its not about if you buy used games or not, it's about the principle. you BUY a game it becomes YOURS. you have the right to sell it as you like

That isn't how it works (regardless of how you feel it should). You have really bought a license to play the game ie the right to play it. Saing the game is yours suggest you own the right to the code, which is never the case in software (and this is where the more fundamental pirates start their argument).