By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony files patent for new tech to stop second hand games

Chark said:
With reaction like this, maybe it would be better to go digital only console.

That would make it WORSE, and would kill retailers. 

Around the Network

I don't usually buy used games (minus old consoles), but I do share games with friends so as long as I can still play a friend's game I really don't mind this much. But I know not everyone is like me so this a terrible idea and Sony will probably dig they own grave by doing this.

Nintendo and PC gamer

This might as well be a giant middle finger to GameStop, and their other retail partners. Seriously, this is worse than having an online pass (which could at least be averted). Sony doing this would probably sever their relationship with retailers that sell used games. If they want to stop used games, than they should just keep online passes, because this is a little drastic. 

IamAwsome said:
Chark said:

Digital media is the future, there is not much what to do to stop this, nowadays we can see it, digital media has overcome physical media when it comes to movies and games(PC), consoles now offer games via download and they will only offer digital media in the future. For developers, digital media is the best way to beat piracy and used games market on consoles as well as decreasing many costs(such as manufacturing discs and boxes and sending boxes all over the world).

KylieDog said:
Will not happen with PS4 or MS next console, but get ready for this people. It WILL happen, especially with the help of digital sales rising.

...and like XBL Gold, most people will just pay for it despite objections.

This.

Around the Network

I like the system. Would tremendously help all developers, not just Sony. They could then offer you a new " I.D. " to purchase for around $4.99 for big title games like Uncharted or Gears of War, or for a lesser known game $2.99

Make it like a Apple type of format. 0.99 to the console developer and the rest to the game developer. If the " I.D. " is sold at a retailer (GameStop, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc) They could charge $1.00 extra or take a fee from the original $4.99 and/or offer other incentives. Such as some new DLC or outfits whatever

This would stop the complaining from the Developers and would hopefully lead to bigger budgets or at the very least better titles

Birimbau said:
IamAwsome said:
Chark said:

Digital media is the future, there is not much what to do to stop this, nowadays we can see it, digital media has overcome physical media when it comes to movies and games(PC), consoles now offer games via download and they will only offer digital media in the future. For developers, digital media is the best way to beat piracy and used games market on consoles as well as decreasing many costs costs(such as manufacturing discs and boxes and sending the boxes all over the world).

Yeah, it's inevitable, and will happen in the future, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. There are still people who don't have tings like internet, and not every console has a huge robust HDD to put games on. On top of that, some retailers make plenty of money off of used games, so they may not respond well to going digital only. Also, what about Backward Compatibility? Not many people will want to rebuy games they already own (I mean this for more recent consoles, not for REALLY old ones.)

XB Live already has most games available for digital download - often at a reduced price ( old and new - although the newest games often take months to show )...

To me I believe Sony AND MS have a quiet agenda to snuff Gamestop out of the equation..

Think about it.. Gamestop gives you very little money or trade in value.. then they turn around and sell many games at just 10 dollars less then new.. Gamestop makes 3 times the money they gave you ( or more ) and you save only 10 dollars? You're better off selling it on Craigslist Or Ebay....

Sony and MS are now saying we'll make Billions from lost sales.. IF just ONE game sells an additional million copies that comes to an additional 60 million dollars ( And that's just one single game selling 1 million more )... Game stop recycles millions of games year - that comes to billions of dollars to developers who deserve payment..

IamAwsome said:
Birimbau said:
IamAwsome said:
Chark said:

Digital media is the future, there is not much what to do to stop this, nowadays we can see it, digital media has overcome physical media when it comes to movies and games(PC), consoles now offer games via download and they will only offer digital media in the future. For developers, digital media is the best way to beat piracy and used games market on consoles as well as decreasing many costs costs(such as manufacturing discs and boxes and sending the boxes all over the world).

Yeah, it's inevitable, and will happen in the future, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. There are still people who don't have tings like internet, and not every console has a huge robust HDD to put games on. On top of that, some retailers make plenty of money off of used games, so they may not respond well to going digital only. Also, what about Backward Compatibility? Not many people will want to rebuy games they already own (I mean this for more recent consoles, not for REALLY old ones.)

If you can't have internet, it also means that you can't have a console. because for me, it's hard to believe that a person who can have a console and afford original games can't have internet at home.

Digital media is not the future if we say it isn't. Yes technology moves fast but physical media will be around for at least another generation.

The problem with the games market is they are too expensive. Either make cheaper games to sell at cheaper prices or stop pushing what people won't accept. It isn't just used games that suffers. Some buy pre-owned because they can't find a long out of print game and have no choice to buy it used. People can actually get into games through buying a pre-owned game cheaper and then may want to buy the sequel new since they liked it. Then you have people who cut costs of new games by trading in their old ones. Trading in is actually the key reason this is flawed and problems arise.

The reason this works for music is because you can get songs for measly pennies on i-tunes. Games cost £40 a piece. Patenting this just proves sony have actually been thinking about this. There is just so much wrong with an idea like that.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D