By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will sell under 7m in 2013

Thoughts?

No chance. The Wii U will... 415 53.34%

I agree, the Wii U will s... 363 46.66%

Total:778
TheLastStarFighter said:

lol@ your lol.  I didn't contradict myself at all.  MBP made a prediction on on January 3rd of this year saying that Wii U would sell less than 7 million.  He wasn't really basing it on anything, as all we had was Wii U launch numbers which were about 88% of Wii.  He just threw something random out there for fun to stir the pot, and because he's not a fan of Nintendo.

My comment, however, was not a prediction.  I just said it's actually possible, and I did give a reason.  If you look at almost every system in recent history its secont Christmas season it sold double what it did at launch.  I wasn't referencing Wii (though Wii does fit as well) but moreso PS3, XB360 and others.  In its second season a system has better availability, better brand awareness, more/better games and sometimes better pricing.

If we take XB360 as a specific example, in its second Christmas is sold about 2.5X what it did in its first.  This happened despite a troubled first year.  If Wii U also sold 2.5X through November and December, it would sell 5,617,000 units, or enough to eclipse 7 million for 2013.  I never said it had to sell Wii numbers, it only needs to do post-price drop PS360 numbers.  Since Wii U is already at that magic mass-market price of $299, and Nintendo is espcially big at Christmas, it's not totally ridiculous to say it couldn't make it.  Likely?  Probably not, but it is certainly possible.

You should be careful throwing around those lol's.  You can sometimes make yourself look either foolish, or like you don't comprehend english, because I never made a prediction in the first place, and my comment is supported by data.

I know spin when i see it. 

Around the Network

I can't believe people are still trying. This reminds me of the PS3's messiah game that never arrived.

Pavolink said:

I actually will call Nintendo "crazy" if they let this happens.

You f***ing idiots Nintendoh!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Daisuke72 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Daisuke72 said:

10 Weeks left in the year. You don't seriously expect the Wii U to sell on average 500,000 a week for the rest of the year do you? 

Lol you just contradicted yourself, how can you say he was going off faith. And then you made this crazy ass prediction with no backing at all the Wii U doesn't have the same bed as the weed so why the hell would it do Wii numbers especially now that it has competition.

lol@ your lol.  I didn't contradict myself at all.  MBP made a prediction on on January 3rd of this year saying that Wii U would sell less than 7 million.  He wasn't really basing it on anything, as all we had was Wii U launch numbers which were about 88% of Wii.  He just through something random out there for fun to stir the pot, and because he's not a fan of Nintendo.

My comment, however, was not a prediction.  I just said it's actually possible, and I did give a reason.  If you look at almost every system in recent history its secont Christmas season it sold double what it did at launch.  I wasn't referencing Wii (though Wii does fit as well) but moreso PS3, XB360 and others.  In its second season a system has better availability, better brand awareness, more/better games and sometimes better pricing.

If we take XB360 as a specific example, in its second Christmas is sold about 2.5X what it did in its first.  This happened despite a troubled first year.  If Wii U also sold 2.5X through November and December, it would sell 5,617,000 units, or enough to eclipse 7 million for 2013.  I never said it had to sell Wii numbers, it only needs to do post-price drop PS360 numbers.  Since Wii U is already at that magic mass-market price of $299, and Nintendo is espcially big at Christmas, it's not totally ridiculous to say it couldn't make it.  Likely?  Probably not, but it is certainly possible.

You should be careful throwing around those lol's.  You can sometimes make yourself look either foolish, or like you don't comprehend english, because I never made a prediction in the first place, and my comment is supported by data.

It's actually possible can be said for the OP's actual prediction, because y'know, it's going to fucking happen.

You're using data from the Xbox 360 and PS3, both which NEVER struggled as much and had way better appeal than the Wii U to support your claims, with no actual reasoning as to WHY it would sell over 500K a week, which require it to sell 2.5M consoles a month twice, which is nowhere near realistic, data doesn't mean shit if your console sold what, 500K all year, you're expecting it to do Wii numbers just because of data, while completely ignoring why the PS3 and Xbox 360 sold as good as they did, and the fact they never sold as low as the Wii U.

But anything that helps you keep hope, I guess.

PS360 also didn't sell as well as Wii U at launch.  I don't need hope for anything, because I don't really care what Wii U sells.  I'm not expecting Wii numbers, I never said it would hit 7-10+ million in the next two months.  I'm not expecting anything really.  I just said year-on-year growth like PS360 is possible.  Also, Wii U has sold about 1.5 million this year, not 500k.  Basically everything your writing has no comprehension of what I said, and your facts are all incorrect.  It's like a big blob of mush.

Max King of the Wild said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

lol@ your lol.  I didn't contradict myself at all.  MBP made a prediction on on January 3rd of this year saying that Wii U would sell less than 7 million.  He wasn't really basing it on anything, as all we had was Wii U launch numbers which were about 88% of Wii.  He just threw something random out there for fun to stir the pot, and because he's not a fan of Nintendo.

I know spin when i see it. 

No spin.  I just like to look at things from various perspectives.

Around the Network

It depends on all three markets. Wii U needs to surpass expectations in the US, and it needs to really exceed targets in Japan and Europe. If Wii U sags in Europe this holiday, then it will kill Nintendo's target goals. North America can't shoulder the whole load like it did during the GameCube generation.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Daisuke72 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Daisuke72 said:

10 Weeks left in the year. You don't seriously expect the Wii U to sell on average 500,000 a week for the rest of the year do you? 

Lol you just contradicted yourself, how can you say he was going off faith. And then you made this crazy ass prediction with no backing at all the Wii U doesn't have the same bed as the weed so why the hell would it do Wii numbers especially now that it has competition.

lol@ your lol.  I didn't contradict myself at all.  MBP made a prediction on on January 3rd of this year saying that Wii U would sell less than 7 million.  He wasn't really basing it on anything, as all we had was Wii U launch numbers which were about 88% of Wii.  He just through something random out there for fun to stir the pot, and because he's not a fan of Nintendo.

It's actually possible can be said for the OP's actual prediction, because y'know, it's going to fucking happen.

You're using data from the Xbox 360 and PS3, both which NEVER struggled as much and had way better appeal than the Wii U to support your claims, with no actual reasoning as to WHY it would sell over 500K a week, which require it to sell 2.5M consoles a month twice, which is nowhere near realistic, data doesn't mean shit if your console sold what, 500K all year, you're expecting it to do Wii numbers just because of data, while completely ignoring why the PS3 and Xbox 360 sold as good as they did, and the fact they never sold as low as the Wii U.

But anything that helps you keep hope, I guess.

PS360 also didn't sell as well as Wii U at launch.  I don't need hope for anything, because I don't really care what Wii U sells.  I'm not expecting Wii numbers, I never said it would hit 7-10+ million in the next two months.  I'm not expecting anything really.  I just said year-on-year growth like PS360 is possible.  Also, Wii U has sold about 1.5 million this year, not 500k.  Basically everything your writing has no comprehension of what I said, and your facts are all incorrect.  It's like a big blob of mush.

The 500K was a hyperbole, but okay. Point is, how will it sell over 5 million in the next two months? You're putting data over logic, and my facts aren't facts if they're in-correct, fuck I never presented anything as a fact. But coming in here saying the Wii U can still do it is just bullshit. 

Daisuke72 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

The 500K was a hyperbole, but okay. Point is, how will it sell over 5 million in the next two months? You're putting data over logic, and my facts aren't facts if they're in-correct, fuck I never presented anything as a fact. But coming in here saying the Wii U can still do it is just bullshit. 

It abolutely can but probably won't, and there is a diffence there.  But your profane-filled post doesn't make you sound any more intelligent than your fact-less one.  I respect your opinion, there is no need to put missinformation or cursing.  Not that it offends me in any way, it just makes it seem like you have holes in your argument if you need to be either hostile or exaggerating.

@OP: I agree (if I understood correctly what you mean). It could reach 7M TOTAL sales by the end of the year (or one week later, by Epiphany and Orthodox Xmas), if the small, but nice boost it's enjoying since Pokemon launch (oops, after Zelda launch, mixed up 3DS and Wii U boosts  ) will scale up enough during Xmas season, but selling 7M during 2013 alone looks quite unlikely.
Anyway, if this boost scales up well and the after Xmas drop will be normal, not excessive, I'd consider Wii U safe, out of danger.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

My GF is currently on her lunch break, breaking her neck trying to buy a Wii U for her 7 year old son before they sell out. "It comes with TWO games for $299!", she said. Nothing I say will convince her that this is not some great deal that she has to act on right this minute. Apparently, she knows something we don't.