By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

5 hrs 13 3.49%

6-8 hrs 16 4.29%

10-12 hrs 75 20.11%

15-20 hrs 119 31.90%

21+ hrs 117 31.37%

Who cares? If the game i... 33 8.85%

Depends on the DLC and ho... 0 0%

I don't play single player games....sorry. 0 0%

Total:373

The only games worth 60 bucks IMO are games that have epic single player campaigns like Skyrim that have over 100 hours of gameplay or games like Black Ops that have endless online multiplayer replay value. So anywhere from 100 hours + and I'm dead serious too. Most games are WAY too overpriced..

Around the Network

I really think any game needs to have at least a 10-12hr campaign of sorts, with some replay value to warrent my $60 purchase. Vanquish, great game but too short for that price. MP is fine and all, but I am old school in the way of my games needing to be able to stand on their own single player experience in order to retain my attention. This is also why I skipped over gems such as Warhawk and MAG. Purely online experiences, by their nature are built to end. Plus, most games essensuate the deathmatch play style and I am not the greatest in those, instead I prefer more coop based multiplayer modes.

The DLC debacle is beyond annoying at this point. I was expecting full on expansion packs at the start of this gen, instead we are getting half a game, and the rest conveniently sold separately.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

theprof00 said:
I feel game value should be based around movie value. For the price of 3 movies and popcorn, I can buy a videogame. However, sometimes, I would rather see a movie because it's a social experience. So, if I see one less movie every 3-4 months, it would add an extra videogame into my library.

Therefore, I have no problem with a game that gives me at least 16 hours of non-speed run game-time, depending on replayability.

Interesting. I've never heard people base their time with games off of their time with movies. Truly after this I believe the videogame was the better buy, but for the sake of socializing you paid to go to the movies.

Skyrim was an amazing value, I got at least 100+ hours, probably close to 150.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

These days I hardly ever buy games at full price unless I know that they are limited in quantity. The Last Story and Metroid Prime Trilogy would be good examples.

I am willing to wait for games to come down in price before I buy them. I feel like I need to get somewhere around 1 dollar per hour. A lot of the games I have I was able to get for around $20-30 dollars, so I don't feel too bad when I get only 15 or so hours out of a game. I tend to explore and try to find everything, so it usually takes me a little longer than most to play through a game.

Where it seems I don't get my money's worth is with downloadable titles. A lot of times those games are more like 2 to 3 dollars per hour or worse.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

i rarely purchase games at $60 theres always deals where you can get em for $40 or less

im fine with SP that are 8-12hrs long, now with achievements and all i usually get 20-40 hrs per game b/c im ocd and want to 100% or get as many achievements as i can per game

i think that a SP shouldnt have more than a 12hr long story unless its really a epic game/story like GTAs RE4 and mgs solid games, if its a average or mediocre story/game i dont want it to keep going on an on

Play Me