By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

5 hrs 13 3.49%

6-8 hrs 16 4.29%

10-12 hrs 75 20.11%

15-20 hrs 119 31.90%

21+ hrs 117 31.37%

Who cares? If the game i... 33 8.85%

Depends on the DLC and ho... 0 0%

I don't play single player games....sorry. 0 0%

Total:373

most of my gaming recently has been in multiplayer so for me once theres a multi component that i find enjoyable i'm down
and of course multiplayer doesn't have an hour cap on it... at least until servers are shut down

Around the Network

10-15 hours for most genres like shooters. Quality hours though.
30-50+ for RPGs.
The sad fact is that in my opinion there are very few games worth full price. I can name a bunch, but I can name 10x more that aren't. Quality needs to rise significantly, and that's one of the reasons I no longer purchase day one for a lot of devs.

None of the options - depends on multi-player content.

Some games are designed to be played with others either locally or online - Mario Kart, Mario Party, Halo, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, Just Dance, SSBBrawl, SF4, etc. The single player mode in these can be short (I've never played through the campaign in any CoD but enjoyed many hours of gameplay.

Some games can provide endless hours of enjoyment without a 'story' as well. GTA:SA - I played endlessly but not once did the campaign. If it didn't exist I wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Bottom line - minimum 10 hours of gameplay. Don't care how we get to those 10 hours, be it local multiplayer, single player story, online play, just f---ing around having fun, it's all good.

Well the way I figure it.. about 2-3 bucks an hour.. so I would say 20 the least.. 30 is good.. however if a game can be replayed over and over.. ( And of course I enjoy it enough to play it over and over) then I can forgive 15 hour games.. (For instance new characters to unlock.. modes to unlock.. or the game is soo much fun.. that you want to go back and play more) Going by what I just said.. about 2-3 dollars an hour though.. I have to say most games now in days are not worth 60 bucks..

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

15-20 hours on first try just to beat the game

30+ hours to solve everything in the game

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

For single player only games more than 30 hours. Take bayonetta or Devil May Cry for example those games aren't worth $60 IMO those games warrant a rental at the most.

I just thought gamestop was a frisbee store with really high prices for them but you do get your moneys worth. happy trails. I'm gonna play my new frisbee game, halo, i heard you have to slice open your competitors head with the frisbee, i might just buy the dlc for it you get 3 extra frisbees.

Honestly for me it's gotta be endlessly playable...either a really open world game you can spend forever on like Fallout 3, Skyrim, GTA, etc...a sports/racing game since they're endlessly playable...or has to have meaningful online (i.e. not just some crap online mode tacked on last minute). I would never buy a game with only single player or single player and a pointless online mode.

I feel game value should be based around movie value. For the price of 3 movies and popcorn, I can buy a videogame. However, sometimes, I would rather see a movie because it's a social experience. So, if I see one less movie every 3-4 months, it would add an extra videogame into my library.

Therefore, I have no problem with a game that gives me at least 16 hours of non-speed run game-time, depending on replayability.

As people pointed out, even if RRP in Aus is $110 Au, few games even start there, or stay there long. The only games that seem to stay at that price are 1st party Nintendo games, and most of those you do get 100-500 hours (probably more for Mario Kart and Brawl in my case) of playtime from so the cost is fine.