By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

5 hrs 13 3.49%

6-8 hrs 16 4.29%

10-12 hrs 75 20.11%

15-20 hrs 119 31.90%

21+ hrs 117 31.37%

Who cares? If the game i... 33 8.85%

Depends on the DLC and ho... 0 0%

I don't play single player games....sorry. 0 0%

Total:373

I do not care how long a game should be or is. I am a quality over quantity kind of a guy.

Around the Network

I voted for 21 hours+, however I have little problem with buying a game with 10-15 hours of single player content. Despite that, I usually don't buy home console titles at full price, unlike for handheld titles.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

NightDragon83 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
NightDragon83 said:
Boy are you people spoiled today. Back in the day there were SNES games that I beat on my first play through that cost $60 or more, and in today's $$$ that's close to $100.

Are you associating it with inflation as the times have gone by?

I'm associating it with the fact that people today whine about spending $60 on a game with a 5-6 hour single player story / campaign and limited or no other game modes, when this was the norm back in the 16-bit era, and in many cases those games were even shorter despite costing more if you factor in the rate of inflation.

Yes, but today we're moving towards an age where the peoples dollars are moving towards the games that provided 12+ hours of gameplay (Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, GTA) or more for the single player experience that doesnt end too soon or take more time than it truly needs. They want trusted names that provide an indepth experience. Indy games are games that based on budget acknowledge the price of $15 or less, but sooner or later things like this will cause people to wonder about the time spent in a game and relate it with the costs. Its not that we've been spoiled, but rather the state of the economy and actual value based on time spent. People tend not to question the value of a full multiplayer game like COD, Battlefield, Halo, Gears or Uncharted? Some are even willing to pay up to $100 or more for the DLC or premium plans. Also, I referred to RPG's as being the exempt single player genre as those games are mostly designed to last.

I have always maintained that games should last only as long as they need to convey whatever it is the developers had in mind; I absolutely cannot stand playing a needlessly drawn out, or seemingly unfinished, game.

I value my purchases based on a simple ratio, 1 hour = 1 dollar. If I see that I won't be playing the game (sp and mp combined) for at least 60 hours, then I don't buy the game for $60. So for a single player only game, if I were to buy it for 60 dollars, then it better give me 60 hours minimum of play time (multiple playthroughs count too, like for Mass Effect 2).

Around the Network
Cirio said:
I value my purchases based on a simple ratio, 1 hour = 1 dollar. If I see that I won't be playing the game (sp and mp combined) for at least 60 hours, then I don't buy the game for $60. So for a single player only game, if I were to buy it for 60 dollars, then it better give me 60 hours minimum of play time (multiple playthroughs count too, like for Mass Effect 2).

I take it you're primarily an RPG type gamer. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cirio said:

No I'm not. I'm primarily and online FPS gamer. I typically buy games for $30 unless they're CoD or Mass Effect.

Cirio said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cirio said:

No I'm not. I'm primarily and online FPS gamer. I typically buy games for $30 unless they're CoD or Mass Effect.

That was my second guess, but I didnt want to mix up the two genres. Thanks for the confirmation.

Why is there no "I only buy second hand games" option?

The consensus seems to be that people are willing to shell out $60 for a game 10-12 hours all the way up to 21+. The gaming consumer has definitely had a paradigm shift as I said before. Mulitplayer gaming and downloadable games have set gamers to thinking on a different path opposed to last gen. Thanks for the stats guys! Its no wonder certain games sell the way they do.