By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

5 hrs 13 3.49%

6-8 hrs 16 4.29%

10-12 hrs 75 20.11%

15-20 hrs 119 31.90%

21+ hrs 117 31.37%

Who cares? If the game i... 33 8.85%

Depends on the DLC and ho... 0 0%

I don't play single player games....sorry. 0 0%

Total:373

In all honesty, it needs to be long, which helps with the replay of the game.

I voted 21+ hours, as it's very easy for developers to take a story with missions/chapters/sequences and draw it out for the player's enjoyment.

Although, that's not to say that short games lack in any way. God of War 3 was 7 hours, if I'm not mistaken, but was pure chaos and carnage for every second of those 7 hours.

Around the Network

hope i enjoyed it! HOPE I ENJOYED IT!!

IF IT WEREN'T SO LONG, I WOULD HAVE!!!!!!! I KID!!! great read

a game need be 10hr.'s long for me to even consider purchase, let alone the price that comes with.

i won't buy a game at full price, that is not 13hr.'s or more long

Going back, I payed way more than $60 for SNES and N64 games, some were 3 to 4 hours, others were over 50. In the end I enjoyed them all the same.

Length of a game has zero weight in my purchase. I just enjoy the game. Some I will play 50+ hours, and do it 3 or more times, Others are 5 hours, and I have ran through them 10 or more times, on a rainy day with nothing to do. Then there are games, that no matter how long they are I don't get past 3 to 4 hours because I realize I am not interested in it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

If it's only a single player at least 30+ hours
Just look at Zelda: Skyward Sword 45+ hours

i don't really care how long is it , if it has replayability value ,unlockable extras and such, madworld was really short but finished like 10 times cause it was fun, it all depends of the typoe of game,an rpg can't be too short, action games if long start to wear out thin, so there mus be a balance between replayability and content, i finished kid icarus in like ten hour or twelve , and i'm getting near the hundred cause of different difficulties weapons etc

Around the Network

The price of the game should be the amount of hours there is in single-player. (Single-player only games)
20 hours? 20$

I buy virtually all my games after a price cut unless I'm going to put over 100 hours into the game. If I anticipate that a game will only last 10 hours of less, then I'll probably wait for it to be $20. I just don't value games enough for me to buy them full price when I know they will be cheaper later.

I'll be getting a rental service soon so actually I want have to worry about any of this though.

Also, I disagree with the idea that games have become shorter compared to last gen. From what I've played, action/shooter games have always been around 10 hours long and that hasn't changed. The longer games were RPGs, racing simulators, and open world games, which is the same this gen. I don't see what's changed.

It's all about the quality of the experience for me. I don't mind paying a lot of money if a game will be only two hours long but offer an amazing and unique 2 hours of gaming. Whereas, although I'd sink in a couple of hundred hours into each COD, and have fun, I usually wait for a price drop and pick it up cheap. Some games I've spent more money on and far less time with, have overall been more memorable and enjoyable for me this generation.

Personally, I buy very few games at full price, and then only if I know I will be entertained for days. Borderlands, Dragon Age, and Fallout are some of the series where I've bought them at release and fully intend to do so again. Games like these are immersive and allow me to slip into them regardless of whether I want to kill some time or if I want to progress the story. Torchlight 2, which I'm playing now, is in the same category and worth more to me than most 'AAA' releases.

The thing is, quite honestly, a lot of people pay for 'graphics', but I'm not. That's fine, of course, everything is relative, but that's one of the least important aspects for me.

I'm not going to put a specific time value out there, but I like games that entertain me for at least a week before I'm done with them. Those are the titles I'm willing to pay full price for. The 5-10 hour blockbusters? I probably won't buy them until they're in the $40-$30 range, or perhaps lower.

There is much more to a game than its length, so I don't put a great amount of emphasis on it when I'm deciding whether or not to buy a game. For example, Journey is an incredibly short game, but it is also an amazing experience that I feel is worth every penny.