By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

How many hours should a single player game today be to warrant a sixty dollar purchase?

5 hrs 13 3.49%

6-8 hrs 16 4.29%

10-12 hrs 75 20.11%

15-20 hrs 119 31.90%

21+ hrs 117 31.37%

Who cares? If the game i... 33 8.85%

Depends on the DLC and ho... 0 0%

I don't play single player games....sorry. 0 0%

Total:373
veni_13 said:
Why is there no "I only buy second hand games" option?

Because I am focusing on the money that goes back to devs. Devs dont profit off of second hand gaming, only the second hand company. The devs seem to be recieving based on how much they put into a game during the for the length of time played + the expectation of quality via marketing. 

Around the Network

15-20 hours

It's not the hours, it's the fun.  

Can have more fun in an hour in some games than 10 in another.

As an Australian, where video games sell for ~$120 US, I expect 100 hours from any full price video game I buy. This includes replay, any extras, any time my friends spend playing it, and of course, multiplayer counts more (4 people playing for 1 hour = 1 person playing for 4).

40+ hours. For 60$ I can still buy a bunch of PS2 and PS1 games that would give me more enjoyment then the 5 hour games in this generation. I bought Bioshock 2 and even though it was complete awesome. I still feel like I wasted 60$ on a short single player and lackluster multiplayer. On the other side of the coin FFXIII was 40 hours but it was not very good. And I feel like much of that time was included in cutscenes and walking.

Around the Network

If it's single player only, it should be at least 20 hours long, but if it has coop and multiplayer, then 10 hours is acceptable. Games like LA noire have been easily worth full prices, because they were fun but also long enough (it's still sad they cut a ton of the game, so it would reduce discs for xbox)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

scottie said:
As an Australian, where video games sell for ~$120 US, I expect 100 hours from any full price video game I buy. This includes replay, any extras, any time my friends spend playing it, and of course, multiplayer counts more (4 people playing for 1 hour = 1 person playing for 4).

Games arnt that bad anymore, usually can find a place that selles them for say $89 AUD (ie jb hifi and kmart) that forces EB to lower their prices quick.

Anyway, still funny when people find a $60 game expensive in the US when we got it worst. Hence why it is hard to define hours on a $60 budget when it is all relative to the country you live in.

Even our movie tickets are like $18-$20 and bluray $40-$50 for a movie haha.

Cobretti2 said:
scottie said:

Games arnt that bad anymore, usually can find a place that selles them for say $89 AUD (ie jb hifi and kmart) that forces EB to lower their prices quick.

Anyway, still funny when people find a $60 game expensive in the US when we got it worst. Hence why it is hard to define hours on a $60 budget when it is all relative to the country you live in.

Well you're talking exchange rate, but In japan they are paying far more than the both of us combined. I am speaking on the fact that the American market is a huge indicator of pricing based on their purchasing habits. People are starting to demand with their dollar today more than ever for what they are playing and the variation in games are causing the prices to fluctuate. People will start demanding the content on a disc match their purchasing price.

If its only a singleplayer game then it must be AT LEAST 10 hours otherwise ill just rent it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cobretti2 said:
scottie said:

Well you're talking exchange rate, but In japan they are paying far more than the both of us combined. I am speaking on the fact that the American market is a huge indicator of pricing based on their purchasing habits. People are starting to demand with their dollar today more than ever for what they are playing and the variation in games are causing the prices to fluctuate. People will start demanding the content on a disc match their purchasing price.

Well yer our dollar is worth more than the USD atm and essentially VIdeo game prices stayed the same when our dollar was worth $0.5USD. Basically the retailer here are milking the sitation cause they knwo people are acustomed to paying $100 for a game. Although most retailers kind of started lowering the prices because of people getting wiser and starting to import instead.

I don't disagree that people want more for their money. They alwas have but didn't really care too much as the economy was stable and their was no concerns about the future as there currently is now.

To me this is kind of a double edge sword, because a dev could have spent say 100million and made it the best looking game with the best story and music but if it ends up being say 10 hours long, it would appear based on the poll that not many would buy it at full price.  This could potnentially send a publisher/developer bankrupt even though their game was fantastic. Essentially I think most developers will start to take less risks (they already have to some degree) and continue creating sequels to games that barely change. 

What will also be intresting to see is how the PS4/nextbox are valued by general customers asuuming they are a huge leap over this gen. I really hope if they go down the power path they still choose to sell their consoles at a profit. It may sell slowly but slow and steady is not always bad as you will get the core fans of those consoles to purchases them at any price.  Next gen to me is the only gen I have felt that it could either be good or bad for all. I would hate to see gaming crash like those who experienced in the 80s.