By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wasn't Vita suppose to outsell Wii this holiday?

MattyPeq said:
Euphoria14 said:

Who was the first person to label you as community manager? Just curious. because another came into the Vita thread and told us all that we are disliked and that we are a cult around here.

We have some real angry people here it seems.

Is this a joke post or what?

We do have some angry people in here. I know. They're in the Vita thread. I was one of the most active users in the Vita thread, until everyone turned against me just because I said that Vita needed something different (more unique games, less ports/spinoffs, to stop people from thinking "I don't need one, because I already have a PS3"). You don't agree? Ok. Is that a reason to attack me? No.

Someone (guess who) even told me I had an agenda... Yeah. That's why I always have avatars that are related to Vita games (Rayman Origins, Gravity Rush, Dokuro, Hatsune Miku Project DIVA f, Knytt Underground) and I have a day-one Vita with more than 30 games on it (4 new ones thanks to Sony, that gifted 4 minis to European users for Christmas). lol. extra-lol.

By the way, leave Kynes alone. He is one of the best members on here. Definitely.

Wii is outselling Vita. And it's not because of the price. You could get a Vita for € 120 lately. People just wanted a Wii more. That's it.

No, it's not a joke post. Nothing I said wasn't true.

Sorry to hear that happened, but was it one or two users or the whole community? I myself have criticized the vita on multiple ocassions and have not had the same mind of backlash you speak of. I have done so even within the Vita thread itself.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Seriously though, what's a "shill" and "community manager"? I've seen you say it before, but I don't understand their definitions based on the context that you've used them in.

Vita outsell Mario??? Not likely, cause the casuals and kids at the stores see Mario and the parents see the $119 price tag on the Wii compared to "something called a Vita" (because casuals might not be aware of what a Vita is) and the $250 price tag and it's an easy choice.

I would have thought Wii would outsell Vita because I didn't see any "blockbuster million seller games" for the Vita come out. I could've been wrong, but if I had to put money on it that's the way I'd have gone.

Euphoria14 said:
HappySqurriel said:
With how systems sell at Christmas, the following is how I would average rate weekly sales in the holiday season:

above 600,000: Great
450,000 to 600,000: Good
300,000 to 450,000: Mediocre
150,000 to 300,000: Bad
Below 150,000: Awful

Now, you should always consider a systems performance based on its own problems and often they can justify the systems performance; after all the PSP, Nintendo DS and Wii are all systems that have a successor on the market, and the Wii U just launched and it will take time to develop the demand and be able to produce the supply necessary to sell really well over the holiday season.

We can explain the performance of the PS-Vita based on a variety of factors but it selling worse than the Nintendo DS should be troubling to Sony and fans of the platform; a system that was replaced almost 2 years ago and is arguably "2 generations behind" in technical capabilities is selling just as well as their fancy new console that (everyone keeps saying) has the best game library for handheld gaming systems.

Vita = $250 entry price

DS = $99 entry price

It isn't that hard to imagine why it is selling, especially more so since the region that is causing it to outsell the Vita is the US. Everyone knows the Vita is too expensive, just like how the 3DS was too expensive at $250.

Also who claimed the Vita has the best games library? I am sure that many aknowledge that that title goes to the DS.

The 3DS is $179 and is selling roughly 4 times as many systems as the DS ...

If price was the PS-Vita's only problem I would expect sales to be at least double their current level, and it should be having no difficulty outselling the DS. The poor sales are an indication of a deeper problem and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I suspect it is because Sony achieved most of their success with the PSP from teenagers they're far more impacted by teenagers being highly image conscience and favoring the "cool" smartphone over the dedicated gaming device; while Nintendo's success with children and adults (in particular with women) has been less impacted by smartphones.

Yeah, and the Wii was going to outsell the PS2 and the DS will never pass the PS2 and the PS3 would win the 7th generation and Nintendo would never release their next console first and tablets and phones would never affect handheld devices etc.

A lot of things never happened and never will happen.
Besides, the number of people who thought that the Vita would do well this holiday season when there was any indicator of such, are bound to be severely limited in number.

I still don't understand the OP's amazing hatred for the Vita, the most harmless product on the market right now, hardly a threat to anyone, especially Nintendo. Or is it simply some childish form of gloating? Hard to say. If one were to make "wasn't -insert object or event here- supposed to?" threads for major events this generation, Nintendo would not come out of it more favourably than the others, perhaps even worse.

Around the Network

So nobody expected the Wii U to outsell the competition? Strange because the forums were full of Wii U will dominate, Wii U will outsell the competition, Wii U will destroy the competition, Wii U will outsell Wii easily for over a month. Everyday on the forum there are new wii u will dominate and destroy the competition threads. So dont tell me anybody expectet the Wii to sell only what it did sell right now.

In vitas case its the same. People said it will sell shitloads during christmas but that didnt happened. Sadly.So to answer the question from the op again. People make predictions and are often false. And Fanboys will always make crazy predictions. That happened with every plattform.

pokoko said:
Yet another classless thread for Nintendo fans to gloat over the Vita? Honestly? Why not just keep it to one of the dozens of threads that exist for that already? Or even the original thread?

I wish you were around to say exactly that about all the Wii U threads Sony fans were creating during the first few weeks of its launch.

Granted, someone needs to be the bigger... fanbase(?).  But Sony fans starting crazy prediction threads regarding Vita didn't help.  I didn't see any Nintendo fans making crazy prediction threads for Wii U (edit: aside from the thread Euphoria linked to - though I have no idea who that poster was).  But still, it is rather juvenile and diminishes the quality of discussion on these boards.

HappySqurriel said:
Euphoria14 said:
HappySqurriel said:
With how systems sell at Christmas, the following is how I would average rate weekly sales in the holiday season:

above 600,000: Great
450,000 to 600,000: Good
300,000 to 450,000: Mediocre
150,000 to 300,000: Bad
Below 150,000: Awful

Now, you should always consider a systems performance based on its own problems and often they can justify the systems performance; after all the PSP, Nintendo DS and Wii are all systems that have a successor on the market, and the Wii U just launched and it will take time to develop the demand and be able to produce the supply necessary to sell really well over the holiday season.

We can explain the performance of the PS-Vita based on a variety of factors but it selling worse than the Nintendo DS should be troubling to Sony and fans of the platform; a system that was replaced almost 2 years ago and is arguably "2 generations behind" in technical capabilities is selling just as well as their fancy new console that (everyone keeps saying) has the best game library for handheld gaming systems.

Vita = $250 entry price

DS = $99 entry price

It isn't that hard to imagine why it is selling, especially more so since the region that is causing it to outsell the Vita is the US. Everyone knows the Vita is too expensive, just like how the 3DS was too expensive at $250.

Also who claimed the Vita has the best games library? I am sure that many aknowledge that that title goes to the DS.

The 3DS is $179 and is selling roughly 4 times as many systems as the DS ...

If price was the PS-Vita's only problem I would expect sales to be at least double their current level, and it should be having no difficulty outselling the DS. The poor sales are an indication of a deeper problem and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I suspect it is because Sony achieved most of their success with the PSP from teenagers they're far more impacted by teenagers being highly image conscience and favoring the "cool" smartphone over the dedicated gaming device; while Nintendo's success with children and adults (in particular with women) has been less impacted by smartphones.

Of course it is more than just price that keeps it from selling 3DS numbers. PSP always sold less than the DS, I expected that. I think if they could afford a cut, a $179 Vita would sell better. No doubt higher than the DS. It already outsells the DS everywhere but the US. Here we play games on our phones. If you want our attention, you can't be asking for $250, unique games or not.

Nintendo also has household names with ~30 years of history, Sony doesn't.

I don't know, it's just what I think. If they support it and drop price, I think it might be fine and keep on going.

I don't see them making another dedicated gaming handheld after this though.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:

Just like Wii U was supposed to outsell PS3 this holiday. Heck, I was almost thinking that myself. But people are wrong sometimes and many were wrong about Vita outselling Wii this holiday. 

Almost no one said that. You are a shill, you can't stop doing your community manager work even when it's a blatant lie what you say, right?

Eh, you clearly have some beef with me, but now that I backed it up (with posts from a single thread), what do you have to say?

from his post history its clear to me that he has a beef with all sony fans not just you

What's left of the shrinking handheld market is just big enough for Nintendo to eek out solid numbers in North America and Europe. In Japan, people use their handheld as their primary game console, so Nintendo is safe there.

Vita unfortunately is the odd man out. There's no space for it as a product.

Sony's better play would be to make a Vita phone next year. It probably wouldn't do gangbusters, but it'll sell OK I think. I would probably get one if it's the same basic Android functionality that other phones have + the abiity to play Vita/PSP/PSone games in a pinch, I'd rather have that than a Samsung Galaxy to be honest.