By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I believe Retro studios should never make a Donkey Kong game again!

Do you believe Retro studio should never make a Donkey Kong game again?

Yes 56 24.35%

No 162 70.43%

I never liked Donkey Kong to begin with 11 4.78%

Total:229
leedlelee said:
Fireforgey said:

I can't answer this question but I can speak for myself at least.  I played both DKC 2 & 3 back in the day and recently played DKC 1 and I can tell you that DKCR and DKC 3 and the two best in the series.  They are both beyond awesome and are of the few 2D platformers that can compete with oldschool Mario.  Just because people really love this new game doesn't mean we didn't play the old ones, its called having an opinion which you seem to reject whenever someone disagrees with you.

I can't believe I've found somebody who loves DKC3 as much as I do...

I never understood the level of hate it receives...

On topic: I'm one of those people that thinks DKCR is better than the original...

DKC is good, but I think its sequels deserve more love...

Retro did a fantstic job of revisiting a classic while making a brand new experience...

yes.............YES exactly.  I think the only think that keeps DKCR from being the absolute best of the four with no contest is the lack of variety in the bounus levels.  Other than that I feel like DKC 1 is........kind of overrated.  I mean the musci and graphics and design are good but in comparisson 2 (and my personal favorite 3) just blow it out of the water.  Ithink its mostly nostalgia + number of people who bought game + the fact that it was first    That makes everyone say that it's the best.

God, now you made me want to go play number 3 again :D.  TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

Around the Network
Fireforgey said:

yes.............YES exactly.  I think the only think that keeps DKCR from being the absolute best of the four with no contest is the lack of variety in the bounus levels.  Other than that I feel like DKC 1 is........kind of overrated.  I mean the musci and graphics and design are good but in comparisson 2 (and my personal favorite 3) just blow it out of the water.  Ithink its mostly nostalgia + number of people who bought game + the fact that it was first    That makes everyone say that it's the best.

God, now you made me want to go play number 3 again :D.  TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

DKC3 is probably the VC game I've put the most hours into, with maybe the exception of the second installment or Chrono Trigger...

2 and 3 are so much more interesting than the first...

The level design is so much better...

The worlds are less generic...

2 has the rollercoaster levels and the lava levels...

Three has the canyon levels and the epic saw level...

A lot of people say 3 is the easiest, but it had the hardest bosses in the series, not counting DKCR...

I'd love to hace all three of the originals on my 3DS, and I'm not talking about the crappy GBA remakes...

I know people love Super Mario World, but the DKC games were the platformers to play on SNES...

Have a nice day...

i guess i am the only one that didn't feel DKCR was hard. I think it is Medium in difficulty but FUN. I passed the whole game 2 times already..

Retro did do a fantastic job with DKCR.

KylieDog said:
The motion controls killed the game for me. I beat the main level path and said sod it to collecting extras, and I enjoyed getting 100% in the original games.

Seriously, precise timing of jumps combined with dodgy motion activated moves? Sadly a lot of Wii games were ruined for me by inserting motion controls where not needed and actually detract from the game.

While they didn't kill the game for me, I definitely agree about the motion controls being unnecessary and less than responsive...

Classic Controller support would have made this my favorite Wii game...

Have a nice day...

Played it today and i also think the motion controls are not the ideal control scheme for this game. especially when you neet to react fast in boss battles etc. i had a lot of deaths directly due to the unresponsive waggle controls! Great game in almost every other aspects though, i really hope they make a second one for WiiU!

Around the Network
leedlelee said:
KylieDog said:
The motion controls killed the game for me. I beat the main level path and said sod it to collecting extras, and I enjoyed getting 100% in the original games.

Seriously, precise timing of jumps combined with dodgy motion activated moves? Sadly a lot of Wii games were ruined for me by inserting motion controls where not needed and actually detract from the game.

While they didn't kill the game for me, I definitely agree about the motion controls being unnecessary and less than responsive...

Classic Controller support would have made this my favorite Wii game...

1000x this! 

That was the only 'problem' with the game, having to shake the goddamn controller.  Level design was brilliant, I could handle losing out on some of the Kong Family and Kremlins.  Everything else was brilliant.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I'm going to say no, but for a different reason. Nintendo should have plenty of teams capable of making a 2D platformer. Retro is an amazing studio and should be given the opportunity to move on to new projects.

By the way, I completed 100% of this game. I got all the puzzle pieces, all the KONG letters, I beat all the secret levels, and I beat all the levels in mirror mode. It was tough, but this game is not too difficult, especially if you have Diddy with you.

The Caves are only World 4. What are you going to do at the Volcano in World 8? If you are having trouble, I would suggest a Heart Boost or Banana Juice from Cranky's shop. Coins are plentiful in this game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

i think retro should put their energy on something new that they haven't done before ,
i'm thinking how about a metroid but in first person ? you like the idea?
na but seriously they should try make afranchise of their own nintendo should have them make a new IP
they have the talent so i think it would be nice

The Wiimote totally ruined this game.

It's a 7/10 with the Wiimote, but would've been a 9/10 without it.

Really? I think this game was amazingly well done the graphics looked nice and the gameplay was really simple tho it was clunky at times. I would like to see a DKCR 2 by Retro but i think they should finally come up with their own IP.