By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I believe Retro studios should never make a Donkey Kong game again!

Do you believe Retro studio should never make a Donkey Kong game again?

Yes 56 24.35%

No 162 70.43%

I never liked Donkey Kong to begin with 11 4.78%

Total:229

They should definitely make another one, but there's two things that they should change if they do make another one..

1: Get rid of any and all motion controls. It's a 2D platformer... I should not have to shake the controller violently when attempting challenging and precise jumps just to execute a move (the forward barrel roll and ground pound) that could easily be mapped to another button. All we did back in the SNES days was push Y to roll forward... no ridiculous shaking of the controller necessary.

2: Cut down on the mine cart / forced scrolling levels. Yes these types of levels are staples of DKC games, but the reason for that is because there were only a handful of them in each of the originals. There wasn't an entire area devoted to nothing but mine cart levels or those annoying treadmill things that you have to constantly re-fuel to keep moving.

Take out these two things, and give us more original settings and level designs, and DKCR2 could be the best DKC yet.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

I'd definitely like another Donkey Kong game by Retro. DKCR was - by quite a margin - my favourite 2D platformer.

OneTwoThree said:
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:
I think Retro are putting out real quality games - but there's a little bit missing to give me that original Nintendo feel. The games they develop in Japan are just a bit weirder and quirkier.

Thing is, Donkey Kong Country wasn't developed in Japan, and Metroid by Japan standards is very low on the quirkiness scale.

Errr... huh? You misunderstood my post. What I said was: I think Retro are good, but not as good as Nintendo's Japan based teams. 

That's fine. I'm just making the point that Retro hasn't given much of a chance to prove themselves yet.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Runa216 said:
F0X said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I want to start by saying that I am a big Donkey Kong fan. I have a very large collection of Donkey Kong games and memorabilia. I have a Donkey Kong standup arcade and every Donkey Kong Game & Watch as well as every Donkey Kong arcade port for every home console going back to the Atari VCS including the system and computers like the Colecovision, Intelivision, Atari 800, and so on. The same goes for Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong 3. To go along with it all I have vintage 80's Donkey Kong board games, coin banks, toys, figures, tokens, trading cards, books, and more.

I love Donkey Kong. It's a challenging game that can never be perfected. It takes months and years of playing to even break 100,000 points and that's only 1/10 of the official high scores of the best of the best.

When I say I love Donkey Kong you can take that to the bank.

But I don't feel the same about Donkey Kong Country. I have them all and I think they are all quality games. But, to me, they are just average platformer games with no real challenge outside of collectables. I've never been a "gotta get them all" gamer. I finish games far below 100% and when I replay it's not to go after more collectables. It's ironic because I don't care about in-game DK collectables by in real life I collect DK stuff. I also collect Panzer Dragoon, Halo, vintage 80's stuff, and general Sega, Nintendo, and Atari stuff. I guess I only like collectables if I can hold them because collecting those Bananas feels more like a tedious chore than a fun challenge.

So, I don't really care if a new Donkey Kong Country game is made by Retro or anyone else. But I would love to see Donkey Kong go back to his roots and become more of an arcade action game like the original.

Long live the Kong!

Donkey Kong Country Returns is absurdly challenging even when not gunning for collectibles. It's not uncommon to burn through 30 lives in a single level. 

I still don't see why you think it's 'absurdly challenging'.  I mean, it's harder than MOST games that have come out in the last while, but to call it absurdly challenging tells me you just suck at platformers.  donkey Kong Country 2: diddy's Kong Quest was harder.  Rayman Origins was harder, and Rayman Origins wasn't really that hard.  

Your difficulty tolerance must be miniscule. 

I'm sorry, but I don't think Rayman Origins is more difficult. Though you may have a point, because after I beat DKCR, I somehow became very good at 2D platformers.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Donkey Kong by Retro is awesome.
(On a side note: like Metroid by Team Ninja is awesome. But only good people can appreciate it.)
If you don't like challenging games, that's a bad problem. Because challenge = reward. Especially when we're talking about a masterpiece like Donkey Kong Country Returns.
I would love for every game to be as challenging (and amazing) as Donkey Kong Country Returns is.
I'd take one Retro Donkey Kong every year.

Around the Network
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:
I think Retro are putting out real quality games - but there's a little bit missing to give me that original Nintendo feel. The games they develop in Japan are just a bit weirder and quirkier.

Thing is, Donkey Kong Country wasn't developed in Japan, and Metroid by Japan standards is very low on the quirkiness scale.

Errr... huh? You misunderstood my post. What I said was: I think Retro are good, but not as good as Nintendo's Japan based teams. 

That's fine. I'm just making the point that Retro hasn't given much of a chance to prove themselves yet.

They have not? I'd say working on 3 Metroid games and the DKC revival are very high profile opportunities. And they did well! But I wouldn't ever want to see them work on Mario or Zelda. I don't think Retro has the vision and innovative power of Nintendo of Japan's studios. On topic though, I have no problem with them making another DKC. I'm not sure if I'd buy it, but that's just me (bought DKCR and only played through it once, in a few days).

OneTwoThree said:
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:

They have not? I'd say working on 3 Metroid games and the DKC revival are very high profile opportunities. And they did well! But I wouldn't ever want to see them work on Mario or Zelda. I don't think Retro has the vision and innovative power of Nintendo of Japan's studios. On topic though, I have no problem with them making another DKC. I'm not sure if I'd buy it, but that's just me (bought DKCR and only played through it once, in a few days).

I mean that Retro cannot prove their ability to make an excellent Mario or Zelda game unless they actually make one. Now, Metroid and Donkey Kong have many similarities to Zelda and Mario, so I wouldn't doubt Retro's ability to make excellent action/adventure games or platformers. In fact, the first Metroid Prime alone is considered to be around the same level of quality as the best of Zelda, and DKCR is arguably better than Nintendo's recent 2D Mario efforts. From that point of view, how has Retro not proven itself as among Nintendo's finest? Whether or not they can pull of an excellent Zelda title will ultimately remain up in the air until Retro actually does make one, but given their track record, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I is a difficult game, but I've never been good at sidescroller platformers to begin with.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of the greatest 2D platformers I have ever played, and that's including the SNES DKC trilogy, Super Mario bros 3, Super Mario World, etc.

Retro's level design is genius, the way levels play out like a flowing symphony of gaps, platforms, enemies and hazards, and the way they tweak and mix simple concepts yo get far more variety out of them then seems possible.

It doesn't hurt that it looks gorgeous either, with incredible attention to detail (there's even tiny flies that give the enemy frogs a reason to jump on the spot) and a silky framerate, and while waggling to roll doesn't add anything, it didn't ruin it for me either. One thing I love that nobody else seems to mention is shaking the remote and nunchuk to pound the ground, barrels, and bosses was very satisfying, and added to the experience in a way that button mashing simply couldn't.

All this said, I don't want them to make another one right away because I'd rather they make something new, but I certainly wouldn't object to a DKCR2 for Wii U in, say, 2015.

F0X said:

I mean that Retro cannot prove their ability to make an excellent Mario or Zelda game unless they actually make one. Now, Metroid and Donkey Kong have many similarities to Zelda and Mario, so I wouldn't doubt Retro's ability to make excellent action/adventure games or platformers. In fact, the first Metroid Prime alone is considered to be around the same level of quality as the best of Zelda, and DKCR is arguably better than Nintendo's recent 2D Mario efforts. From that point of view, how has Retro not proven itself as among Nintendo's finest? Whether or not they can pull of an excellent Zelda title will ultimately remain up in the air until Retro actually does make one, but given their track record, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Arguably", "is considered" - what does that mean? It depends on who you ask. I liked NSMBWii much better than DKCR, and Metroid Prime is not for me. 

It was a smart move by Nintendo to establish a NoA developer, cause they are better at making certain types of games for western markets. Zelda and Mario are different beasts though. Previous experiments with outsourced Zelda games did not go well, the Capcom parts are the only ones I never finished. Felt like Capcom was given a LttP construction kit...

Why not leave Mario & Zelda in the hands of their creators? I mean, you don't want the next album of your favourite band to be recorded by another band either, right?