By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I believe Retro studios should never make a Donkey Kong game again!

Do you believe Retro studio should never make a Donkey Kong game again?

Yes 56 24.35%

No 162 70.43%

I never liked Donkey Kong to begin with 11 4.78%

Total:229
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
KungKras said:
Well it's not like it's the best selling game they ever made or something.....

Anyways OP, have you played the SNES games? If not, then do and then come back and we'll have a talk about the game design.

I'm 31. So yes, i played a lot of difficult NES games. 

Most of those NES games i could forgive because the industry was young (and me). Getting a good balance of controls and challenge was still difficult. Nintendo did those thing mostly right. Others did not (kuch... Turtles).

And when the SNES came along, games were far better. That balance of controls and challenge improved on many levels. It made things far more enjoyable for a gamer.

With each newer console, that mix improved even more.

That's actually the reason why those Cave levels are now really bad. Retro has no excuse to make such aggravating levels. They are ruining the enjoyment of the game. For no point.

Not sure about that... It seems more like that now even blind brainless idiot could pass pretty much any game at "hard" difficulty. There are very few current games which have absolutely any challenge at all. In most games no actual gamer could pass the game and not even once die even with hardest difficulty.

Around the Network

You spelled "Kong" right.

KungKras said:
fillet said:
I hated DKCR, it lacked all of the DKC charm and feel imo.

Mainly down to graphical style choices.

Too much low detail 3D textures, they should have lowered the resolution and upped the texture detail and effects.

I think you're overlooking the biggest flaw. The music.
The SNES games had amazing music and if any Wii game should have orchestrated soundtrack to do the series' legacy justice, it's DKCR.

To be honest, I didn't really pay to much attention to the music in DKCR. DKC indeed had sublime soundtrack, really capturing the feel of the environments in each area of snow/forrest/jungle/caves etc. I was so disappointed with DKCR that I couldn't even compare the 2 past superficial levels.

I was surprised to see all the complimentary opinion on it too, it wasn't awful...but it was DK by any means.

Much like Rayman Origins isn't Rayman.

I don't know if I should blame the developer or the current technology where we are at in terms of expected 3D-ness, but since you mentioned the music I'm going to go and compare that to at some point over the next few days.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Period!

The game began challenging. Here and there a very difficult letter/puzzel piece to get. It's wasn't fun when i died trying to get those, but it challenged me to do better. And that was fine.

But then i got to the Cave Levels...

Those are just awfull. That's not about challenge. It's about pissing off the player. It gets so aggravating it's making me hate Donkey Kong himself.

Who playtested those cave levels? How the h*ll did Shigeru Miyamoto approve of this?

Who ever said that was fun, should be put into a barrel, and pounded by Donkey Kong. Pounded!!

Once again: I believe Retro studios should never make a Donkey Kong game again!

(I'm serious)

you must really suck at that game, becuase I had absolutely no issues with it.  In fact, I found it a pretty easy game and those were some of the simplest cave track levels in the series.  

I think we should get Retro to take over and just do Donkey Kong Country games, after all, DKCR was their best selling game, I hear. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

fillet said:
I hated DKCR, it lacked all of the DKC charm and feel imo.

Mainly down to graphical style choices.

Too much low detail 3D textures, they should have lowered the resolution and upped the texture detail and effects.

18 years ago the best looking games we had (besides very uninteractive games like Myst) were games that looked like these:

Rare took DKC, and on the same level of hardware, made THIS:

Rare created the 24-bit generation on a 16-bit console by inventing a technique to render 24-bit sprites on the SNES. DKC had a very special place in videogame history. DKC Returns is more or less a tribute to that, but not really a true successor. No matter how much certain people want to think Retro is the next Rare, that's not what they're ever going to be. Rare was one of the few companies capable of carrying a console almost on their own, Nintendo is the other company that can do that. Arguably Square could in the SNES/PSX era, but not anymore. I don't think there will ever be another company quite like Rare.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
In my opinion, Retro did a much better job of capturing the 'essence' of the DKC games than Nintendo has in capturing the 'essence' of SMB1-3/World with the NSMB games.

With the (very annoying) exception of forced waggle, I was very pleased with the DKC Returns.

Yes, including the collectathon of collecting many many yellow things, and not just bananas.

The game became derivative imo, even though i enjoyed playing it, and would champion a sequel/spin off.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I would love to see a DK64 platformer like game for the wii U. I loved that game on the N64.

I disagree. Making DKCR more challenging than the previous entries is by far the best way to make me love it more. Most of the levels are far ahead of the original DKC trilogy in sheer quality of design, too. For those who complain that DKCR forces you to stop, I understand. However, attempting a successful time attack of each level turns the game into a very fast-paced DK experience, and the immense level of thought put into the design really shows. As for the music, it's hard for me to hate, because most of it is made up of solid updates of great tunes from the first game (particularly Life in the Mines).

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

DKCR its a success so why not!? i thing a DKCR2 is in Work from Retro

I think Retro are putting out real quality games - but there's a little bit missing to give me that original Nintendo feel. The games they develop in Japan are just a bit weirder and quirkier.