By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I believe Retro studios should never make a Donkey Kong game again!

Do you believe Retro studio should never make a Donkey Kong game again?

Yes 56 24.35%

No 162 70.43%

I never liked Donkey Kong to begin with 11 4.78%

Total:229

I adored DKCR, it is in my top 5 wii games, really a great, and satisfying platformer. As far as retro making a sequel, I'm torn. I loved DKCR, but I think retro should be working on more ambitious titles rather than more 2D platformers. If they made it as kind of a side project I'd be happy though.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
kitler53 said:
i'll take it you are too young to have owned a NES or SNES...

I'm 31. So yes, i played a lot of difficult NES games. 

Most of those NES games i could forgive because the industry was young (and me). Getting a good balance of controls and challenge was still difficult. Nintendo did those thing mostly right. Others did not (kuch... Turtles).

And when the SNES came along, games were far better. That balance of controls and challenge improved on many levels. It made things far more enjoyable for a gamer.

With each newer console, that mix improved even more.

That's actually the reason why those Cave levels are now really bad. Retro has no excuse to make such aggravating levels. They are ruining the enjoyument of the game. For no point.

Don't say that it ruins enjoyment.  If you don't like the levels use super kong.  I for one thought that the caves were BRILLIANT. 

Look let me put it this way, I believe that DCKR is not just one of the greatest DKC games, but one of the best 2D platformers ever made (and I've played a lot seeing as how its my favorite genre).  The level design was beyond perfect and the addition of the barrel and kart levels to that extent just made the whole game magnificant.  I 200%ed the game.  My two sisters reached 190% in the game.  I played all of the cave levels and did all the time trials for that world.  It was simply amazing

And by the way, my sisters are in no way hardcore gamers, however, they loved the game so much that they stuck with it and got better and better and better until they beat the whole game and went back for mirror mode.  So don't say that the difficulty ruined the game because, if anything, I'd love to see the next Donkey kong even more difficult.  Don't forget NSMBWii was WAAAAAAY too easy and it was a major put off for many.  So

"There is no reason for the team to make it so easy, they are just ruining the enjoyment of the game.  For no point".

P.S Dark Souls and Demon Souls are critically acclaimed for its difficulty but people often forget the term Nintendo hard.  Retro brings back Nintendo hard.  I want to see another Retro made DKCR, maybe after another metroid or something, but it is definatly something I want to see.

How come the first half of this thread consists of analytical view of DKCR with a fairly positive view on the game but certainly nowhere near as good as the original series...followed by the other half consisting of "we love you man!" posts that sound like the poster's haven't even played the original series back in the day.

fillet said:
How come the first half of this thread consists of analytical view of DKCR with a fairly positive view on the game but certainly nowhere near as good as the original series...followed by the other half consisting of "we love you man!" posts that sound like the poster's haven't even played the original series back in the day.

I can't answer this question but I can speak for myself at least.  I played both DKC 2 & 3 back in the day and recently played DKC 1 and I can tell you that DKCR and DKC 3 and the two best in the series.  They are both beyond awesome and are of the few 2D platformers that can compete with oldschool Mario.  Just because people really love this new game doesn't mean we didn't play the old ones, its called having an opinion which you seem to reject whenever someone disagrees with you.

OneTwoThree said:
F0X said:

I mean that Retro cannot prove their ability to make an excellent Mario or Zelda game unless they actually make one. Now, Metroid and Donkey Kong have many similarities to Zelda and Mario, so I wouldn't doubt Retro's ability to make excellent action/adventure games or platformers. In fact, the first Metroid Prime alone is considered to be around the same level of quality as the best of Zelda, and DKCR is arguably better than Nintendo's recent 2D Mario efforts. From that point of view, how has Retro not proven itself as among Nintendo's finest? Whether or not they can pull of an excellent Zelda title will ultimately remain up in the air until Retro actually does make one, but given their track record, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Arguably", "is considered" - what does that mean? It depends on who you ask. I liked NSMBWii much better than DKCR, and Metroid Prime is not for me. 

It was a smart move by Nintendo to establish a NoA developer, cause they are better at making certain types of games for western markets. Zelda and Mario are different beasts though. Previous experiments with outsourced Zelda games did not go well, the Capcom parts are the only ones I never finished. Felt like Capcom was given a LttP construction kit...

Why not leave Mario & Zelda in the hands of their creators? I mean, you don't want the next album of your favourite band to be recorded by another band either, right?

I would be happier to see Mario and Zelda in the hands of those who care about them the most, yes. It wouldn't be right to have Retro make a Mario of Zelda game for the sake of, and their work on Metroid and Donkey Kong was mainly because those franchises needed a new home. However, I think you're analogy is totally wrong. New creative talent is being injected into Nintendo's development teams for every single game, and the creator (Miyamoto) does not play the same role he has had in the past. Mario and Zelda have already survived changes in their development teams on multiple occasions (nearly every game), so I think a more apt analogy would be a comic series. A wide variety of writers and artists do "runs" on a series, and the original run is not always considered the best. But ultimately, the comic will always share the same producers in any situation to keep things on track.

By the way, DKCR was very well-recieved in Japan. I don't think it's right to assume that Retro can only make games suited to Western markets. :/

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:

Why not leave Mario & Zelda in the hands of their creators? I mean, you don't want the next album of your favourite band to be recorded by another band either, right?

I would be happier to see Mario and Zelda in the hands of those who care about them the most, yes. It wouldn't be right to have Retro make a Mario of Zelda game for the sake of, and their work on Metroid and Donkey Kong was mainly because those franchises needed a new home. However, I think you're analogy is totally wrong. New creative talent is being injected into Nintendo's development teams for every single game, and the creator (Miyamoto) does not play the same role he has had in the past. Mario and Zelda have already survived changes in their development teams on multiple occasions (nearly every game), so I think a more apt analogy would be a comic series. A wide variety of writers and artists do "runs" on a series, and the original run is not always considered the best. But ultimately, the comic will always share the same producers in any situation to keep things on track.

By the way, DKCR was very well-recieved in Japan. I don't think it's right to assume that Retro can only make games suited to Western markets. :/

I was exaggerating, but you probably get my point. Of course Nintendo's Mario&Zelda teams are changing all the time, but there's a reason they like keeping development of these series close to their headquarters. Hand-picking new elite graduates for every game is one thing, giving development out of hand to another continent is another. In my opinion these 2 series are the best there is in gaming, and that's largely due to a handful of people maintaining tight reins over the essence of the respective games.

It's weird, but I even like the idea that you could probably never work on a Mario game if you don't speak Japanese. It's like a (huge) traditional family business with a very distinct personality. And whenever they come up with a new game you bet it's going to be weird and decidedly un-western. I like that.

OneTwoThree said:
F0X said:
OneTwoThree said:

I was exaggerating, but you probably get my point. Of course Nintendo's Mario&Zelda teams are changing all the time, but there's a reason they like keeping development of these series close to their headquarters. Hand-picking new elite graduates for every game is one thing, giving development out of hand to another continent is another. In my opinion these 2 series are the best there is in gaming, and that's largely due to a handful of people maintaining tight reins over the essence of the respective games.

It's weird, but I even like the idea that you could probably never work on a Mario game if you don't speak Japanese. It's like a (huge) traditional family business with a very distinct personality. And whenever they come up with a new game you bet it's going to be weird and decidedly un-western. I like that.

You may be right, but I don't see a situation where Nintendo hands off development of a Mario or Zelda game to Retro and does not stay heavily involved. In all likelihood, Nintendo wouldn't go much further than to have Retro studios assist in development (like they did with Mario Kart 7). I believe it has everything to do with keeping tight creative control, not because Retro is incapable of creating a great Mario or Zelda game. Further, from what I understand the driving philosophy behind Retro Studios is to bridge the gap between different design philosophies, not to make westernized versions of Nintendo franchises.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I'm completely with you on this one. Not because I dislike the wii DK game or have even played it, but because Retro is like literally Nintendo's only 1st party studio who have a proven record with developing more mature content. Nintendo should use such a developer to help diversify and push their portfolio, not to make another 2D platformer, which probably could have been handed to any number of internal devs. In fact they probably should have used that time to begin a metroid game to launch with the wii U early 2013 and on a separate new IP for late 2013/ early 2014.

But thats just me.

I absolutely loved DKCR, it was just beautiful. I'll agree with you if Retro work on something else, like Metroid or a new IP

Fireforgey said:

I can't answer this question but I can speak for myself at least.  I played both DKC 2 & 3 back in the day and recently played DKC 1 and I can tell you that DKCR and DKC 3 and the two best in the series.  They are both beyond awesome and are of the few 2D platformers that can compete with oldschool Mario.  Just because people really love this new game doesn't mean we didn't play the old ones, its called having an opinion which you seem to reject whenever someone disagrees with you.

I can't believe I've found somebody who loves DKC3 as much as I do...

I never understood the level of hate it receives...

On topic: I'm one of those people that thinks DKCR is better than the original...

DKC is good, but I think its sequels deserve more love...

Retro did a fantstic job of revisiting a classic while making a brand new experience...

Have a nice day...