By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the deal with the Wii U in Europe?

Train wreck said:

I dont buy the economic crisis excuse

DS and Wii had record sales during the height of the financial crisis in 2008 and 2009 (nintendo had record profits)...next excuse.

But that was a Wall Street/World financial market crisis.  Today we have severe economic cutbacks and austerity.  No revisionist history here, the financial crisis affected the fat cats, not ordinary people directly until the housing bubble burst (in the US).  We're just now feeling the socialized losses today via austerity.

I don't think people can justify buying a brand new console during these times in the EU.  PS4 and 720 will be facing a very similar situation.

Around the Network

The PS3 is dominating Europe at the moment.

Nintendo never really did well Europe, right?

Train wreck said:

DS and Wii had record sales during the height of the financial crisis in 2008 and 2009 (nintendo had record profits)...next excuse.

The height of the financial crisis is now, and is moving forward. Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece...are in a much worst situation than 3 years ago. The DS and Wii were the cheapest consoles of the market. Now the Wii U is the most expensive console out there. Of course crisis is hurting sales A LOT. At least in Spain.

Mnementh said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
2 New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii 2009 Platform Nintendo NA: 13.04 EU: 6.36 JP: 4.60 Rest: 2.21 All: 26.21

There we have (some of) it. They are not very interested in New Super Mario Bros. U and already have PS3/360/PC for third party titles, so they will wait for more exclusive system sellers.

I don't buy that. WiiU has FIFA, that should do something in Europe.

Why would FIFA fans buy the Wii U version over the PS3 and 360 version (i.e. where all their friends are)?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

DS and Wii were also cheaper...

Train wreck said:

No mate. 2008 was the start of this current financial crisis. We weren't officially in recession until 2009 if I remember correctly but a great deal of companies were experiencing problems in 2008. I was unfortunately made redundant in the Summer of 2008 so I should know when this mess started.

You could blame the poorer sales in Europe on the fact that we always get shafted with regards to retail prices over here. We always have to pay over-the-odds for clothing, DVDs, CDs, video games, TVs and consoles.

outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
2 New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii 2009 Platform Nintendo NA: 13.04 EU: 6.36 JP: 4.60 Rest: 2.21 All: 26.21

There we have (some of) it. They are not very interested in New Super Mario Bros. U and already have PS3/360/PC for third party titles, so they will wait for more exclusive system sellers.

I don't buy that. WiiU has FIFA, that should do something in Europe.

Why would FIFA fans buy the Wii U version over the PS3 and 360 version (i.e. where all their friends are)?

Right, but the same applies to the other 3rd-party-multiplats and other regions. Given the popularity of football (for americans: soccer) in europe, it may explain a little difference, but the WiiU is doing much worse in Europe than elsewhere. And it has a FIFA. The Wii got no FIFA at all and did better than the WiiU. In europe, as the WiiU does the same at the moment in the US and nearly as much in Japan. So I'm totally missing the explanation, why it is special for europe, that the WiiU bombs.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

snowdog said:
Train wreck said:

No mate. 2008 was the start of this current financial crisis. We weren't officially in recession until 2009 if I remember correctly but a great deal of companies were experiencing problems in 2008. I was unfortunately made redundant in the Summer of 2008 so I should know when this mess started.

You could blame the poorer sales in Europe on the fact that we always get shafted with regards to retail prices over here. We always have to pay over-the-odds for clothing, DVDs, CDs, video games, TVs and consoles.

Yes, we europeans pay more for consoles and pay more and get games later if at all. But that all didn't hurt the Wii as bad as the WiiU.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

You really can't compare FIFA on the Wii U to the other SKUs. Ultimate Team is missing for starters.