By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the deal with the Wii U in Europe?

Probably a lack of Japanese style games outside of Mario and Nintendoland, combined with poor marketing and high price.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

you're all wrong: 300 euros is a really steep price

1e = 1.32 $ do the math

sethnintendo said:
Kenology said:
Train wreck said:

I dont buy the economic crisis excuse

DS and Wii had record sales during the height of the financial crisis in 2008 and 2009 (nintendo had record profits)...next excuse.

But that was a Wall Street/World financial market crisis.  Today we have severe economic cutbacks and austerity.  No revisionist history here, the financial crisis affected the fat cats, not ordinary people directly until the housing bubble burst (in the US).  We're just now feeling the socialized losses today via austerity.

I don't think people can justify buying a brand new console during these times in the EU.  PS4 and 720 will be facing a very similar situation.

Disaster 2: Everyone is Broke

I'd play buy it and play the hell out of it. 

Though I'd rather Monolith be working on a Xenoblade sequel. :)

Kenology said:
Austerity!

Yeah, pretty much that.
Right now, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Greece and Italy are going through some tough times.

What i have seen in one big store where i live is that since 2010 sales have been declining for all consoles. In 2010, during this time, there wasn`t a single Wii for sale; PS3s were selling really well. But last year that didn`t happen and this year it`s almost like no one is buying.

Lack of demand. It's definitely not a supply issue, not with these sales.

Around the Network

The realist in me says the Wii U is just too expensive a proposition right now, and these 'low' sales are compounded by a lack of compelling launch software.

The Nintendo fan in me says, just wait until Mario Kart U comes out.....

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Mnementh said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
2 New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii 2009 Platform Nintendo NA: 13.04 EU: 6.36 JP: 4.60 Rest: 2.21 All: 26.21

There we have (some of) it. They are not very interested in New Super Mario Bros. U and already have PS3/360/PC for third party titles, so they will wait for more exclusive system sellers.

I don't buy that. WiiU has FIFA, that should do something in Europe.

FIFA = Playstation. There is no way around it. You watch a football game and what posters are around the pitch? Playstation. The TV ads for the game ALWAYS show a Playstation, the Playstation controller, etc. Wii U for FIFA? Don't be kidding be. I have been playing the living crap out of FIFA since FIFA 96 and wouldn't consider getting it on a Wii U even for a split second. The idea of buying this game for Wii U was actually shocking to me. No. Just no. That's not going to happen.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

superchunk said:
yeah no shit. Europeans need to step the fuck up. Its the only region with mediocre sales. Not horrible, just not launch/xmas style.

No. It's not us, who have to step up. It's Nintendo. I'm very happy about the Wii U sales, hope they decline even more. Why? Cause Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about us. To back this claim up, I'll go to the biggest gaming store in my city tomorrow and take photos showing you what the shelfs of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo consoles look like. Trust me, you will be shocked.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
superchunk said:
yeah no shit. Europeans need to step the fuck up. Its the only region with mediocre sales. Not horrible, just not launch/xmas style.

No. It's not us, who have to step up. It's Nintendo. I'm very happy about the Wii U sales, hope they decline even more. Why? Cause Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about us. To back this claim up, I'll go to the biggest gaming store in my city tomorrow and take photos showing you what the shelfs of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo consoles look like. Trust me, you will be shocked.

Did Nintendo killed your family or something?

Nintendo and PC gamer

No good racers... and not as solid a hook as the Wii.

Wii could use it's own GT/Forza.