By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Up 15th December 2012

Have you guys took into consideration, that the Vita launch in the US in March where there was no Holiday/Christmas or a black Friday to look forward to in a month or so. While the Wii U launch in November, a week before black Friday and 2 weeks before the holiday/Christmas shopping season.

While I'm not saying the numbers would be different in Japan, it would be different in the other areas, if the systems launch around the same time frame. Maybe it would be worst for the Vita, but who knows.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
How can people claim that less than 70k in all of Europe in the middle of the holiday season is good? The Wii U is not doing very well, let's stop pretending it is. Over 300k behind the closest competitor and less than 100k above the Wii is not fantastic by any measure and the 5.5 million Nintendo forecast for March 2013 is looking extremely unlikely.

It sold 2k more than the Vita in Europe for chrissake. And don't blame it on shortages, first off; there really aren't significant shortages and second, Nintendo would never be dumb enough to ship such a tiny amount of consoles to an entire continent one to-two weeks before christmas, no company in the world is that daft.

WiiU is doing horrible in Europe. But it is doing good in the rest of the world. As Chandler showed, it matches the Wii-launch (although Wii might have been higher if not supply-constraint) and does better than PS3 and X360 at launch. That makes the disaster in Europe much more strange. It is not as bad like the 360 in Japan (look at the gigantic sales in the US - and then at Japan), but it is pretty bad.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Godchild1020 said:
Have you guys took into consideration, that the Vita launch in the US in March where there was no Holiday/Christmas or a black Friday to look forward to in a month or so. While the Wii U launch in November, a week before black Friday and 2 weeks before the holiday/Christmas shopping season.

While I'm not saying the numbers would be different in Japan, it would be different in the other areas, if the systems launch around the same time frame. Maybe it would be worst for the Vita, but who knows.

There's no comparison to be had between Vita and Wii U. Wii U is already on the cusp of eclipsing Vita's global LTD sales.

Chandler said:

There is really a lot of goalpost moving going on again. If it suits the agrument suddenly only isolated regions count, or the PSV was never part of the conversation, only surpassing the Wii equals "not doomed". And I'm sure if it passed the Wii it would have been "bu-bu-but only surpassing PS2 means not doomed".

I don't see it. Very few people, if any at all, in this thread have claimed that Vita's future is bright or is "not doomed." (I'm not sure where you got that quote actually). Rather, people are noting the similar sales between the Wii U and the Vita in Europe. This isn't to show the Vita doing well in Europe. In fact, people seem to be agreeing with the consensus that the Vita is doing poorly in Europe. This comparison is to illustrate that the Wii U is also selling poorly in Europe. Tell me how this is moving goal posts. The Wii U's European sales are a legitimate concern.

Jay520 said:
Chandler said:

There is really a lot of goalpost moving going on again. If it suits the agrument suddenly only isolated regions count, or the PSV was never part of the conversation, only surpassing the Wii equals "not doomed". And I'm sure if it passed the Wii it would have been "bu-bu-but only surpassing PS2 means not doomed".

I don't see it. Very few people, if any at all, in this thread have claimed that Vita's future is bright or is "not doomed." (I'm not sure where you got that quote actually). Rather, people are noting the similar sales between the Wii U and the Vita in Europe. This isn't to show the the Vita doing well in Europe. In fact, people seem to be agreeing with the consensus that the Vita is doing poorly in Europe. This is to show that the Wii U is also selling poorly in Europe. Tell me how this is moving goal posts. The Wii U's European sales are a legitimately concern.

Yes, they are. I don't dispute this, but it's just silly that some people here just conveniently leave the other regions off the table just to get another doompost in. Also, I have very clearly answered to a post that mentioned a "race to the bottom between Wii U and PSV" without any mention of europe, so I naturally responded with overall sales and the responses in return were "yes but europe..." and "yes but Wii...". Again, european sales are weak and the Wii U sells worse than the Wii did, but somehow people interpret those two points and conclude "just as bad as Vita". Which is ridiculous.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

In other news, 3DS reached 25 million worldwide... yeah.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Gap between 360 and PS3 closing real fast.

Chandler said:
Jay520 said:
Chandler said:

I don't see it. Very few people, if any at all, in this thread have claimed that Vita's future is bright or is "not doomed." (I'm not sure where you got that quote actually). Rather, people are noting the similar sales between the Wii U and the Vita in Europe. This isn't to show the the Vita doing well in Europe. In fact, people seem to be agreeing with the consensus that the Vita is doing poorly in Europe. This is to show that the Wii U is also selling poorly in Europe. Tell me how this is moving goal posts. The Wii U's European sales are a legitimately concern.

Yes, they are. I don't dispute this, but it's just silly that some people here just conveniently leave the other regions off the table just to get another doompost in. Also, I have very clearly answered to a post that mentioned a "race to the bottom between Wii U and PSV" without any mention of europe, so I naturally responded with overall sales and the responses in return were "yes but europe..." and "yes but Wii...". Again, european sales are weak and the Wii U sells worse than the Wii did, but somehow people interpret those two points and conclude "just as bad as Vita". Which is ridiculous.

This is what he said

" If we went by the comments in this thread, it would appear that the most important thing is the race to the bottom between WiiU and PSV"

The key phrase there was that "going by the comments." He was making statements about the users in this thread, not the market.

And if I'm not mistaken, the people saying Wii U sales are bad aren't speaking about overall sales, they are taking about Europe specifically. Unless they're using that to say the Wii U is doing bad globally (which I haven't seen), then I don't see a problem with talking about the Wii U sales in Europe.

You seem to have a problem with people discussing Wii U Europe sales without also discussing other regions, which is silly. People have no obligation to discuss every region when talking about sales.

the_dengle said:
KillerMan said:

Only reason why WiiU is able to keep up with Wii sales in US  is because Wii had massive shortages when it launched. It literally could have sold double the amount it sold if there would have been unlimited amount of supply. And well...European launch of WiiU has been horrible considering the success of Wii. Vita level of bombing in EU.

This means nothing until there is a significant dropoff in Wii U sales after the Holidays end. If Nintendo couldn't meet demand for Wii, as Reggie would say, "That's Wii's problem, not Wii U's problem."

All this means to me is that Nintendo really has done a better job of keeping up with demand this time around, at least in the US. Suggesting the Wii U has to meet some kind of hypothetical bar of "could have" Wii sales in order to be selling well is ridiculous.

But it's a fact that Wii had huge shortages that WiiU doesn't have and yet it barely matches Wii. I am not saying that US sales are bad, actually they are pretty decent but it's not as hot item as Wii was like some people imagined earlier in this thread. Real story here are those European sales. In US and Japan it's doing decent numbers but in Europe it's bombing really hard.

kitler53 said:
haxxiy said:
Wii-U and PSVita eating the dust off the ground... 3DS wouldn't look that hot either outside these explosive japanese numbers. I hope these aren't the early signs of a market crash next generation.

i think we've already flown past the "early signs" and are firmly into "early symptoms".  i got laughed at by almost everyone on this site (minus kowenicki, euphoria and like 2 others) that smartphones and tablets are serious forces in the games industry starting like a year and a half ago.  well who's getting the last laugh now?!?

**note: yes i can laugh through my tears.

I agree with you. Let's just hope there's space for at least one or two 'core' videogame systems in the mid to long term.