By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Up 15th December 2012

haxxiy said:
Wii-U and PSVita eating the dust off the ground... 3DS wouldn't look that hot either outside these explosive japanese numbers. I hope these aren't the early signs of a market crash next generation.

i think we've already flown past the "early signs" and are firmly into "early symptoms".  i got laughed at by almost everyone on this site (minus kowenicki, euphoria and like 2 others) that smartphones and tablets are serious forces in the games industry starting like a year and a half ago.  well who's getting the last laugh now?!?

**note: yes i can laugh through my tears.

Around the Network

ADJUSTMENTS IN PREVIOUS WEEKS

3DS 0
PS3 0
360 0
Wii 0
DS 0
PSP 0
PSV -171,534
Wii U -8,672 

@kowen... seems like ioi fixed the Vita sales you talked about in another thread.

kitler53 said:
haxxiy said:
Wii-U and PSVita eating the dust off the ground... 3DS wouldn't look that hot either outside these explosive japanese numbers. I hope these aren't the early signs of a market crash next generation.

i think we've already flown past the "early signs" and are firmly into "early symptoms".  i got laughed at by almost everyone on this site (minus kowenicki, euphoria and like 2 others) that smartphones and tablets are serious forces in the games industry starting like a year and a half ago.  well who's getting the last laugh now?!?

**note: yes i can laugh through my tears.

That would be bad. Smartphones and tablets have by far not the same prices for games as consoles. That is OK for remakes of old games and simple games, but epic games with big worlds, storyline, different musical tracks, polished textures and models cannot be paid with the prices you get for smartphone-games. Yes, you sell more (but not enough, as epic games already reach most of it sales-potential) and you cut some costs as it is only download. But if there is a serious move to smartphones next-gen, when I expect shorter and less polished games and generally less games with an big storyline.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Wii U is behaving good for your regular console. But the european number are a bit worrying and also strange. It`s Christmas season and sales keep on falling? Even Vita, which was doing worse than anyone else is rising.

Here in Portugal there`s a special campaign for PS3, Vita and Wii U where there`s a special price until the end of year.
Just recently it was announced you could get a Wii U (any pack) and get Mario for an extra 5€.
PS3 and Vita seem to be following those steps where a game is offered or you only pay a little more for a game.

I think that next year, for Portugal, Spain, Greece and even Ireland, Wii U sales are not going to be that good.
My guess is people are really taking advantage of promotions.

benao87 said:
If we went by the comments in this thread, it would appear that the most important thing is the race to the bottom between WiiU and PSV. PS3 and 3DS are having some fantastic numbers, Sony and Nintendo fans should just rejoice :)

Oh, and those are some beastly 3DS numbers, 1 mill next week?

There is no such race, even severely handicapped, the Wii U performs better than the PSV

Edit: forgot to mention that this graph is global but with wii U handicap. 444 for PSV and 432 for Wii U. SO the blue line will go up steeper than this when all numbers are in.

Edit2: I also want to mention that the Wii U sold more units in it's fourth week in the US alone (164.000) than Vita did globally in it's respective fourth week (100.708, 4th week US + 4th week JP + 4th week EU). I know, holiday season. Part of the strategy.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

I would say 360 and PS3 being so close is not good news MS fans once adjustment time comes knocking. And don't want to hear this domination during holiday time......

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Chandler said:
benao87 said:
If we went by the comments in this thread, it would appear that the most important thing is the race to the bottom between WiiU and PSV. PS3 and 3DS are having some fantastic numbers, Sony and Nintendo fans should just rejoice :)

There is no such race, even severely handicapped, the Wii U performs better than the PSV

In Europe there is. And if WiiU keep biting the dust Vita will have sold more over a whole year launch aligned.

Chandler said:
benao87 said:

Edit: forgot to mention that this graph is global but with wii U handicap. 444 for PSV and 432 for Wii U. SO the blue line will go up steeper than this when all numbers are in.

Edit2: I also want to mention that the Wii U sold more units in it's fourth week in the US alone (164.000) than Vita did globally in it's respective fourth week (100.708, 4th week US + 4th week JP + 4th week EU). I know, holiday season. Part of the strategy.

it's not having stellar sales to be the successor of the mighty wii. that's the whole argument behind the wiiu having poor sales.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

i don't know about the whole of Europe, but in my family we don't give christmas presents more expensive than about 150 euros at the max, so i don't really see why it should sell more during Christmas than any other time, or it might be my family who does not go all out on Christmas gifts.

I am Talking about the Wii U just for clarification.

pezus said:
jonnybmk said:
3DS is a BEAST.

I'm disappointed the Vita sold as much as it did (was hoping lower) but glad to see the DS outselling it.

I really have no opinion on the Wii U; could be higher I guess.

I told you, didn't I?

Yes you did my friendly! :^)

I was hoping for lower, like in the 150s.