By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It has only just hit me how ridiculous it is that the Wii is STILL sold out

rasone77 said:
Mummelmann said:
rasone77 said:

@DJmeister
I would agree with you if all the systems offered the same functionality or were going after the same demographic. Wii offers a completely different gaming experience and Nintendo is going after the non gaming crowd.

It's sort of like going to a car lot specifically to buy a 6 person passenger car or minivan for your family but since everyone is sold out for a while you buy 2 person pick-up truck instead. Sure it's going to happen but not enough for the manufacturers to stop making cars because everyone is buying trucks now or even enough that trucks become the dominate mode of transportation.

That is the strangest analogy ever, try again. If you don't find that car, you buy a different one with the same capabilities or you go to another car lot. Have you ever bought a car? You do know that they cost slightly more than consoles, right?

I definately know more about cars than you do. I sold them for 7 years and bought 6 which is why I used it as an analogy. Hell a PS3 costs more than most people's car payments and to most people (those that don't have the cash to buy one out right) that is all they care about is the payment. They look at how much they spend every month and not what the overall cost is. That's why people fall for that leasing shit all the time because the payment is cheaper. They never get to own the damn thing but their budget isn't strained because they can't afford a buy payment.

Cars are easily equated with consoles price wise when you realize how the market actually works something you obviously don't know shit about.

Cars and consoles are different, regardless of whether you sold them for 7 years or not, you must've not been very good at your job... Ask anyone in the world whether they liken consoles to cars, you'll be baffled (apparently)!

Around the Network
wiiforever said:
^don't underestimate the power of Wii

No one here is, you are overestimating it. 90% of the community are being realistic, you are being zealous and inane. If your logic applies, then the PS2 should be selling 30-35 million a year still since it had such strong first and 2nd years sales ww.

Seriously, you're swimming against the currents here. 

Mummelmann said:
I do think it's good as a gamer that Nintendo are getting back in the game for real again, but I hate the fact that they did it with a product I don't want...
It's the first Nintendo I haven't craved, so I'm pretty sure that even though the Wii reaches new markets, there's a whole lotta gamers like me feeling kinda letdown.
I'm hoping they'll change the recipe slightly next gen, so I can get back on the horse!

I feel pretty much the same way when it comes to the Wii.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

DMeisterJ said:
johnlucas said:
TWRoO said:
Well the PS2 was in low supply for quite a while, not as bad as Wii. But if it had had a closer WW launch it may have been.... after all it was 7 months between Japan and American launch and a further ? months till PAL [2-4... I can't remember exactly]

And thats with only 2/3 of the systems being made. Edit... damnit, half the systems. wow. If PS2 was the record for the console produced fastest from launch then Wii has doubled that record!

See that part I bolded?

Now you understand why I say 240,000,000 MINIMUM lifetime sales of Wii.

The sad fact of the matter is that doubling that record may be just the beginning. The worst case scenario is doubling but we could very well see a tripling, quadrupling, and maybe even a quintupling of PS2's lifetime sales.

Nice to see people realizing just how strong the Wii is.

And remember...Wii Fit hasn't launched in the rest of the world yet.

Watch the numbers jump then.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

John Lucas 

Here is the problem that you and Avinash_Tyagi have.  Yes, it has outpaced the PS2, but your extremly lofty goal of 240 mil.  Minimum, is not going to happen, as it is still being outpaced by the DS (Lite) and the DS will not even get to that goal, at half of the price.  It may outsell the PS2, but your predictions have the Wii selling above and beyond all other systems, and it's still being outsold by the DS, so I don't know about that happening.  I think that the Wii will sell well, and as ameratsu said, your argument falls apart when you believe that it will sell at a rate of at least 40 mil/year for five or six years.  That will not happen.  It will sell at max, 150 million consoles. 

The sole reasonf or that is that in 3.5 years, we'll be playing the new XBOX, and a year or two after that, the new PlayStation, and as dated as the Wii looks now, it will look like a prehistoric fossil compared to the other systems, and I don't care what you say, people like buying the new thing, not old stuff that's been on the market for six years. 

So that brings me to the fact that in the next 3.5 years, the Wii would have to sell around 220 million consoles, or seventy three million consoles per year, which from last year, would be a five time increase in production.  But since the Wii would continue sellingn when the next generation of consoles come out, let's say that if it makes it to 200 million before the next XBOX comes out, it would continue to sell another forty million, reaching your lofty goal.  Sales would have to be around fifty million for the next three years, sustained, against the competition priced only fifty bucks ahead of it.  It is not going to happen, you're taking the first year of sales, and applying it for a lifetime. 

I think that when this year ends, it'll be safe to say that we can pick a winner, but your predictions make no sense.  You just happened to get lucky and predict that the Wii would sell extremly well, and your prediction for 2007 is still wrong, as it's just now hitting 20 mil, and your sig said at 11:59:59 PM on New years eve.  So forgive me if your predictions don't resonate well with me. 

Well John made his prediction ages ago and still it was off only, what... less than 5% (according to Vgchartz numbers, we need to see official numbers from Nintendo before going on in this matter), and Vgchartz error % is 5-10 percent, if i remember correctly.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Machina-AX said:
Anyone else find it harder to buy a DS than a Wii?

They only had 3 Wiis left when I got mine from Tesco (the UK version of Walmart) in May last year.
I had to try 4 different stores around the same time before I found any DS in stock. I was seriously worried I wouldn't find one in time for my mum's birthday (I did and she loves it btw) :/

seriously Asda is becoming the UK version of Walmart here in the UK.......... maybe it has something to do with the favt that Asda is now owned by a massive american conglomerate.... what were they called again? W..?

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

Around the Network
wiiforever said:
^don't underestimate the power of Wii

Don't you mean Playstation? I mean that was the tagline in the classic PS1 ads...

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

Well, I too am simply stunned at how the Wii is selling.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice system, but I don't get how it outpaces everything else by so much.  As for those who say it will sell 200-240 million...really?  Even if Nintendo builds new factories just for Wii production it would take a year or two to set them up.  You think the Wii will still be around in 4-5 more years and not superseded by something else?  I don't know.  That's simply too far ahead to be comfortable with.

I do still wonder how long the demand will last at such an insane level.  People make the argument that while not being able to find a Wii, people will buy the other systems instead.  But, I think this would have happened after more than a year on the market and if it was a big factor demand WOULD be dropped down, one would think.  I don't know where it's all going, but it is amazing to watch, all the more so if you like me, just don't "get it."

Well, we'll see....