By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It has only just hit me how ridiculous it is that the Wii is STILL sold out

Mummelmann said:
I do think it's good as a gamer that Nintendo are getting back in the game for real again, but I hate the fact that they did it with a product I don't want...

I know how you feel even though I highly enjoy my Wii. I felt the exact same way about the PS1 back in the day (oh, cool, another system to buy but boy they don't have very much quality control). Fortunately, Sony eventually made the PS1 and the whole Playstation family a very succesful and innovative product line with a huge list of quality games.

I think that in order to differentiate from the dominator of the previous generation, sometimes you have to go a bit too far in the other direction. After you develop a huge success, you can devote yourself to going back to the middle.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
I am not shocked - but was ROTFL when parents contacted me the week before Christmas and asked me how they could land a wii.

My response? At gunpoint, with some crackeads or a brick.

I lol'd here.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

That picture is priceless, I wish I could see a pic of when some voltage hits those 2 idiots.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

kazadoom said:
Does anyone else no of another product in history that has not been able to meet demand for this long of a period of time? I cannot think of anything that even comes close.

Lamborghini Gallardo Superlegera. Coveted and rare, and never able to meet demand.

Mummelmann said:
I do think it's good as a gamer that Nintendo are getting back in the game for real again, but I hate the fact that they did it with a product I don't want...
It's the first Nintendo I haven't craved, so I'm pretty sure that even though the Wii reaches new markets, there's a whole lotta gamers like me feeling kinda letdown.
I'm hoping they'll change the recipe slightly next gen, so I can get back on the horse!

Serious question: If you liked Nintendo before, why don't you like Wii. I have Nintendo systems since NES and I love the Wii. I think it's their best system since SNES.

I completely understand that you want a 360 or PS3 with it, but Zelda TP and SMG having the oldfashioned Nintendo quality, RE4 being an ultimate experience and Brawl and Kart coming with online I think the Wii should be in every gamers home (again understandably combined with one of the HD consoles). 

Around the Network
SleepWaking said:
Mummelmann said:
It's the first Nintendo I haven't craved, so I'm pretty sure that even though the Wii reaches new markets, there's a whole lotta gamers like me feeling kinda letdown.
I'm hoping they'll change the recipe slightly next gen, so I can get back on the horse!

if you liked nintendo before you still won't be disappointed by titles like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Super SMash enz, does it really matters is has so many casual titles? there still enough good games for you if you liked nintendo titles.

I never liked the Smash Brothers games, so I'm left with Zelda, Mario (not the dozens of low quality spin-off's...) and Metroid Prime. That's 4-5 games including MarioKart, which to me is just not justification for a 2500NOK purchase. I think I'll buy Nintendo's next console if I like it and hope it has BC, for my other needs I have emu's and my N64 still!

RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:
SleepWaking said:
Mummelmann said:

if you liked nintendo before you still won't be disappointed by titles like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Super SMash enz, does it really matters is has so many casual titles? there still enough good games for you if you liked nintendo titles.

I never liked the Smash Brothers games, so I'm left with Zelda, Mario (not the dozens of low quality spin-off's...) and Metroid Prime. That's 4-5 games including MarioKart, which to me is just not justification for a 2500NOK purchase. I think I'll buy Nintendo's next console if I like it and hope it has BC, for my other needs I have emu's and my N64 still!

But you know that the Wii will drop in price, so just pick one up in 2-3 years.

I think that is a very likely scenario, by then there'll be a new Zelda and possibly a new Mario out! It all depends on the price though, consoles take a very long time getting cheap here... PS2 slim with no games and one gamepad still costs 1200NOK... (230-250$).

DMeisterJ said:
It is unprecedented, but also unprofessional, and very costly. Being sold out for a few weeks is good, but sixteen months of not being able to find it in stores means that if you don't feel like calling the store every day, or camping outside of Best buy/target/wal-mart then you would have had to buy another system to satisfy your gaming needs. I go to Best buy almost twice a week (my bro works there) and I have never seen a Wii in stock. I'm at GameStop at least three times a week, buying a used game or just being bored and I've never seen a Wii there. If I wasn't a gamer, I wouldn't even know that it was out. That's lost them hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe even a few billion if they can't get supply in order. That does not deserve credit. :(

They should get credit for creating a system that sells like hot cakes (though hot cake sales have declined the last 57 years...).

Though I agree that it is a bit unprofessional, I don't know what you expect them to do about it. Even if they can increase production, the chipmakers have to be able to supply them with CPUs and such, which may be half the problem. What is costly is producing too many and having too many sitting in warehouses, which is what happened during the GC years. I feel like they could up production, for the long run, and not worry about because they can stockpile more Wiis for holidays that way, and I feel during the holidays they will probably sell as much as they can produce.

Machina-AX said:
Anyone else find it harder to buy a DS than a Wii?

They only had 3 Wiis left when I got mine from Tesco (the UK version of Walmart) in May last year.
I had to try 4 different stores around the same time before I found any DS in stock. I was seriously worried I wouldn't find one in time for my mum's birthday (I did and she loves it btw) :/

no way - Wii is much more rare

wonder how long it will last. I remember my cousin got all this wii stuff in christmas 06 and couldnt wait to play it,but he did not actually get the wii till christmas 07.