Assassin's Creed 3 21 11.23%

Dishonored 22 11.76%

Mass Effect 3 45 24.06%

Journey 66 35.29%

The Walking Dead 33 17.65%

Total:187
JayWood2010 said:
green_sky said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't even know where you are getting that argument or comparison. This is same as if PS3 launched for $400 where would 360 sales be. No one can say. If they had extra funds to make the game longer without lowering the quality these small companies could do that. I know not the best way to put it but look at the Oscars. Most of the movies nominated during majority of years don't make 1/10 of the money compared to the summer blockbuster. Are they less of a movie as they don't offer same kind of enjoyment to the pop culture crowd. 

Also these awards are not nominated by some guy named VGA but by editor in chief's of major gaming publication on the web and print. So this is more of an opinion of over 50-100 different websites and magazines aggregated. Cheers. 

Your comaprison makes no sense what so ever.....  Consoles vs consoles and movies vs movies are very different. It is pointless debating with you though so yes, cheers.

Whatever you say Durden. I  hope i reach your heights some day. 

Around the Network
Torillian said:
JayWood2010 said:
Torillian said:

Why am I forced to argue within the confines of your criteria even if it's stupid?  It has nothing to do with how GotY should be judged and it's a ridiculous criteria made because you're used to a certain pricepoint for titles.  If you were used to 30 dollar games that would be the requirement and I'd be extolling the virtues of some 60 dollar game and saying it's the best, and you'd talk about how if those 30 dollar games were 60 dollar titles that would mean they'd have higher development budgets and they'd be comparable to the 60 dollar game I'm championing.  Using your criteria makes no sense for judging "game of the year" so I don't see why I have to defend it with anything other than what I've already stated.  

You agreed with me when I said that if Journey was $60 then it's metacritic would drop signifecently so you kind of already agreed with me that if these games were on equal ground then things would be different, that has been my only point.  

All things being equal you'd have to give ThatGameCompany the same budget as every other title and then see who makes the best game.  Why does equal ground only factor in on the back end?  

All I've agreed with you about is that Journey is at an appropriate pricepoint as it sits now.  If it were more expensive it'd be worse value, just like if ME3 was 120 dollars it'd be a worse value then it is now.  

Stop roaming around my original question.  No duh mass effect 3 would be lower if it was at 120 and i dont care about the budgets.  Simple question if all of them were priced the exact same then this would be very different.  I never said anything about budget.  Now why would Journey not get as good of reviews as the others then?  Because it isnt as good as them and why it has to be a lower price because at a higher price it would not be worth the money

JayWood2010 said:
Torillian said:

All things being equal you'd have to give ThatGameCompany the same budget as every other title and then see who makes the best game.  Why does equal ground only factor in on the back end?  

All I've agreed with you about is that Journey is at an appropriate pricepoint as it sits now.  If it were more expensive it'd be worse value, just like if ME3 was 120 dollars it'd be a worse value then it is now.  

Stop roaming around my original question.  No duh mass effect 3 would be lower if it was at 120 and i dont care about the budgets.  Simple question if all of them were priced the exact same then this would be very different.  I never said anything about budget.  Now why would Journey not get as good of reviews as the others then?  Because it isnt as good as them and why it has to be a lower price because at a higher price it would not be worth the money

Sigh.....how exactly am I supposed to debate with you if I can't poke holes in your logic?  It's like you invited me to a fight where we'd both be armed with baseball bats, and you give me a wiffleball bat when I show up.

If every game should be looked as being the same price then MMO's should win every year.  World of Warcraft has millions paying more money than it costs you to buy ME3 so whatever expansions it puts out should be the only games applicable to GotY.

If Journey were 60 dollars it would be a crappy value and would not be on this list, but it wasn't, and therefore it is.  You can't use the value of titles in pretend scenarios to decide something like GotY, you can only look at the quality of the game you played (Journey has gameplay and presentation that match up to any retail game) and if value is a consideration then it should take into account what the game costs, not what the game would cost in a pretend world where everything is 60 bucks.  That isn't the world we live in and it shouldn't be how GotY is decided.  

ME3 is a good candidate, but the fact that it has almost no RPG elements, your choices does not matter at all, the ending ignores whatever you have done in the 3 games, and the fact that the game was developed around MP, It does not deserve to win.

ME2 is better.

Heavenly_King said:
ME3 is a good candidate, but the fact that it has almost no RPG elements, your choices does not matter at all, the ending ignores whatever you have done in the 3 games, and the fact that the game was developed around MP, It does not deserve to win.

ME2 is better.

This - ME3 turned into a stupid shooter mostly.
They went into the direction of a lot of others in this Gen > Destroying something great for the attention of the CoD Community.

Journey should win it by a mile.
Its nominated for a Grammy Award for its soundtrack too....This is just awesome.
GOTY(even if the VGA Awards mean crap) should ALWAYS go over a PS3 Exclusive.Every year.Cause those aren't Copy+Paste shooters.They are unique

Around the Network
Torillian said:
JayWood2010 said:
Torillian said:

Sigh.....how exactly am I supposed to debate with you if I can't poke holes in your logic?  It's like you invited me to a fight where we'd both be armed with baseball bats, and you give me a wiffleball bat when I show up.

If every game should be looked as being the same price then MMO's should win every year.  World of Warcraft has millions paying more money than it costs you to buy ME3 so whatever expansions it puts out should be the only games applicable to GotY.

If Journey were 60 dollars it would be a crappy value and would not be on this list, but it wasn't, and therefore it is.  You can't use the value of titles in pretend scenarios to decide something like GotY, you can only look at the quality of the game you played (Journey has gameplay and presentation that match up to any retail game) and if value is a consideration then it should take into account what the game costs, not what the game would cost in a pretend world where everything is 60 bucks.  That isn't the world we live in and it shouldn't be how GotY is decided.  

I get your point of view but I don't think you get mine.  There is a reason this year is highly controversial and you know it.  I'm not the only person who disagrees with the decisions they made, none the less I think Mass Effect 3 should win, and that is even considering if Halo 4 was in the mix.  Why, because I think it is the only story to have got me engaged as much as it did.  

green_sky said:
JayWood2010 said:
green_sky said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't even know where you are getting that argument or comparison. This is same as if PS3 launched for $400 where would 360 sales be. No one can say. If they had extra funds to make the game longer without lowering the quality these small companies could do that. I know not the best way to put it but look at the Oscars. Most of the movies nominated during majority of years don't make 1/10 of the money compared to the summer blockbuster. Are they less of a movie as they don't offer same kind of enjoyment to the pop culture crowd. 

Also these awards are not nominated by some guy named VGA but by editor in chief's of major gaming publication on the web and print. So this is more of an opinion of over 50-100 different websites and magazines aggregated. Cheers. 

Your comaprison makes no sense what so ever.....  Consoles vs consoles and movies vs movies are very different. It is pointless debating with you though so yes, cheers.

Whatever you say Durden. I  hope i reach your heights some day. 

Reach my height?  We are all the same decaying organic matter as everything else. 

This idea people have that quality and enjoyability are less important criteria than length and price gives me chills. It feels like someone is telling me that "Twilight" is better than "The Old Man and the Sea" because it's longer.

As long as the category is "Game of the Year," then it should be open to ANY game. If people want to rearrange things into categories based on length and price then that's another thing entirely. However, if there are no inherent restrictions, then length and price should be non-factors.

I have only played ME3 and the first TWD episodes.

I'd go with The Walking Dead

Mass Effect 3 hands down. It brilliantly concludes the best saga of this gen.

We miss you Shephard...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !