By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - iPhone 5 Demand Helps iOS Overtake Android’s Market Share In The U.S.

The iPhone 5 has become Apple’s fastest-selling iPhone yet, with 5 million units sold during its first three days of availability. More than two months after its debut, the handset is still facing a one-week shipping delay via the Apple online store. In fact, the device is selling so well that it just helped iOS overtake Android’s market share in the United States.

Reuters cites a report from research firm Kantar WorldPanel, which announced on Tuesday that Apple’s iOS market share in the U.S. in the 12 weeks up to October 31 more than doubled from a year ago to 48.1%. That puts it close to the 49.3% peak it reached during early 2012.

In comparison, Android’s market share dropped to 46.7% from 63.3% during the same period. Although it continues to dominate in key European markets — such as Spain where it commands an 82% market share — Google’s platform just lost its crown to iOS in the U.S.

Android’s combined share of the top five European markets rose to 64%, up from 51% a year earlier. iOS still have a lot of catching up to do across the Atlantic, however; its own share rose just one point to 21%.

Source: Reuters

Around the Network

They will lose market share to Android in the coming months and Android will take over again until perhaps the next iphone launch.

BasilZero said:
Go Apple!

Pretty amazing considering the fact that the iOS is only available on Apple products while Android is pretty much on every phone!

Came in to say this, except the first part lol ;p

Not entirely surprising; a new iPhone will lead to a spike in market share for iOS. It doesn't really change the long-term trend.

Scoobes said:
Not entirely surprising; a new iPhone will lead to a spike in market share for iOS. It doesn't really change the long-term trend.

What's the long-term trend in your eyes?

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

They will lose market share to Android in the coming months and Android will take over again until perhaps the next iphone launch.

In the coming months they'll gain marketshare. Android will probably lose some to Windows Phones

Great Apple... I need to by my Apple 5 soon (well firstly I need to buy a Vita before 2012 ends).

man-bear-pig said:
Scoobes said:

Android has been gaining market share slowly but steadily over the last few years. Whenever a new iPhone is released, iOS gets a nice big spike in market share for a quarter or so, but long-term, it's a gradual decrease. This is more apparent if you look at worldwide totals.

Windows Phone 8 could throw a spanner in the works, but it'll be slow to get there.

Scoobes said:
man-bear-pig said:
Scoobes said:

Android has been gaining market share slowly but steadily over the last few years. Whenever a new iPhone is released, iOS gets a nice big spike in market share for a quarter or so, but long-term, it's a gradual decrease. This is more apparent if you look at worldwide totals.

Windows Phone 8 could throw a spanner in the works, but it'll be slow to get there.

Most of the stats I've seen indicate the following worldwide smartphone marketshares by 2015:

20+% - iOS

15% - WP

50-55% - Android

So WP will take a slice of Androids pie and Apple will stay as they are

Great news being that I own an iPhone. Apple is kicking ass right now. They're taking down Sony, Samsung, HP, Amazon one by one lol.