By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - iPhone 5 Demand Helps iOS Overtake Android’s Market Share In The U.S.

This just means:
Once every year, by the time Apple releases their latest edition of the iPhone, iPhone sales get a significant boost for a limited period of time.

Around the Network

but can you really call it genuine market share considering that like 80% of iphone sales are to the people who already own a 6month old model and just upgrading lol.

I am yet to meet a new person who says I decided to get an iphone 5. All the people I know who have them are ones who upgraded from 4S.

Euphoria14 said:

Now these are just complete lies. Anyone and their mother can find people who use stereos with iPhone docking stations or cars with iPhone syncing capabilities. There is a reason why iPods became so incredibly popular and tons of manufacturers create iDevice compatible devices and accessories. Remember, these docks aren't mandated to iPhones only, but iPods (Touch or not), iPhones and even iPads.

How many buy special cables so they can hook their phones to a TV and run a video? Or browse through their phone files on the TV? I can guarantee it is MUCH MUCH less than the amount of people using iPod music docks or stereos. Big difference when one has you just put your device in it, pick a playlist and go do your work around the house or just listen to some tunes with friends around.

So extra accessories available to you to work with your device is more important than having multiple phone choices.
So you will go to iPhone because it has multiple accessories available and not go to multiple Android options because they have few accessories available.
Pretty ironic. 

Developer support will go with the one with the biggest marketshare? So tell me why we still see tons of iPhone/iPod exclusive software? That's easy. It's hard to make Android exclusive software when you need to create your product for multiple hardware configurations.

And i dont think you see the point of multiple hardware configurations as a benefit to a consumer. 
Microsoft has ruled Apple for the last decade because of only this..more options available to consumers. 
And i see the same in the mobile and tablet market for them too (even with a head start).

Has Android caught up in sheer number of apps? Absolutely. Does Android get everything iPhones do? Absolutely not. Just look to The World Ends With You, Bastion, Infinity Blade & Lunar SSST as examples. That plus the dedicated Game Center with full achievement, friends and leaderboard support across almost every title makes it the much better option for developers to get their games known. Yes, you have Feint and some of those other community services, but none of them are standard across almost all games or come standard on your devices. That makes a big difference whether you want to believe it or not.

Actually they dont make a lot of differences. there is a proper console market made for competitive gaming.
If i am competing with my friend for highscore on gamecenter rather than a PS3 game.. it is simply sad.

Actually i got the point wrong. Game center is better for developers.
But still i can if you want to check from dev point of view. Android being java based ( world's most popular programming language) has much more possibility from dev point of view. iPhone launchers,Win 8 launchers..etc. Task manager..Widgets..and so on. It gives developers much more breathing and open space in the Android market where Apple lacks.

And all exclusive are more because of a head start. only till iOS is ahead of Android in US. Once Android comes out in top in US exclusives will start appearing on Android.

Your claim also doesn't explain why developers make more money on this smaller marketshare than they do on that of the marketshare leader.

1) Apple has only one screen size. Developing budget is much less for a fixed screen size.
2) Android is open source platform .. phones price varies largely easily $100 - $800 .. so not all of them buy device to use play store..they just basically use it as a normal calling device. while Apple sells on the name of its ecosystem. They have created thier image as premium brand rather than expensive and hence user are uniintentionally paying more on the name of the brand.

Shubhank said:
Euphoria14 said:

Now these are just complete lies. Anyone and their mother can find people who use stereos with iPhone docking stations or cars with iPhone syncing capabilities. There is a reason why iPods became so incredibly popular and tons of manufacturers create iDevice compatible devices and accessories. Remember, these docks aren't mandated to iPhones only, but iPods (Touch or not), iPhones and even iPads.

How many buy special cables so they can hook their phones to a TV and run a video? Or browse through their phone files on the TV? I can guarantee it is MUCH MUCH less than the amount of people using iPod music docks or stereos. Big difference when one has you just put your device in it, pick a playlist and go do your work around the house or just listen to some tunes with friends around.

So extra accessories available to you to work with your device is more important than having multiple phone choices.
So you will go to iPhone because it has multiple accessories available and not go to multiple Android options because they have few accessories available.
Pretty ironic. 

Developer support will go with the one with the biggest marketshare? So tell me why we still see tons of iPhone/iPod exclusive software? That's easy. It's hard to make Android exclusive software when you need to create your product for multiple hardware configurations.

And i dont think you see the point of multiple hardware configurations as a benefit to a consumer. 
Microsoft has ruled Apple for the last decade because of only this..more options available to consumers. 
And i see the same in the mobile and tablet market for them too (even with a head start).

Has Android caught up in sheer number of apps? Absolutely. Does Android get everything iPhones do? Absolutely not. Just look to The World Ends With You, Bastion, Infinity Blade & Lunar SSST as examples. That plus the dedicated Game Center with full achievement, friends and leaderboard support across almost every title makes it the much better option for developers to get their games known. Yes, you have Feint and some of those other community services, but none of them are standard across almost all games or come standard on your devices. That makes a big difference whether you want to believe it or not.

Actually they dont make a lot of differences. there is a proper console market made for competitive gaming.
If i am competing with my friend for highscore on gamecenter rather than a PS3 game.. it is simply sad
And all exclusive are more because of a head start. only till iOS is ahead of Android in US. Once Android comes out in top in US exclusives will start appearing on Android.

Your claim also doesn't explain why developers make more money on this smaller marketshare than they do on that of the marketshare leader.

1) Apple has only one screen size. Developing budget is much less for a fixed screen size.
2) Android is open source platform .. phones price varies largely easily $100 - $800 .. so not all of them buy device to use play store..they just basically use it as a normal calling device. while Apple sells on the name of its ecosystem. They have created thier image as premium brand rather than expensive and hence user are uniintentionally paying more on the name of the brand.

Pretty ironic. 

Explain to me how it's ironic that I went with as device whose options benefit me after my purchase rather than going with a device that lacks in that same department? Remember, I did weigh my options. I'm no fool. I know what I was looking for and I made my choice after well over a month of research to find what suites ME best.

If I am going to end up with (1) device, why do I care about all the other choices? A wealth of options after I make my purchase is more important to me than saying "Hey, I got this Galaxy S3, but I had the choice of this or that!". You conviently keep forgetting I already had an Android phone and I still have an Android tablet. This is my first ever iDevice and to be honest, I think it's a fantastic piece of hardware and it cost the same amount as my Captivate when I bought it as well as my fiance's S3. I was shopping in that price bracket. I don't care that Android has $10 handsets. Those choices bring ME zero benefit as I am not the target customer for those options.

Remember, this whole discussion between us was between Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S. The fact you keep changing the discussion to other things shows you lost the battle to prove how my phone is "LOL" level inferior.

I do see the point, but our conversation was about Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4S. This "choice" debate does not benefit me. I knew what price range I was looking for. I wanted a device that would be compatible with everything on the device's market place. That gave me the option of Galaxy S2, S3, HTC OneX, etc... higher end models. Stop bringing up the $0-$50 devices that I wouldn't even bat an eyelid for. That isn't the discussion we were having.

iPads still blow away sales for Android tablets, so I don't see your point.

If i am competing with my friend for highscore on gamecenter rather than a PS3 game.. it is simply sad

Now your just being condescending to people who enjoy mobile gaming. That doesn't prove anything. It just makes you look angry that people prefer things other than what you do. It also doesn't help your point at all about developers going for the marketshare leaders now if it's "sad" anyways.

iOS isn't getting Bastion 2 weeks ago, TWEWY a month+ ago and multiple other new game releases because Android has been around for 5 years. That's a poor excuse in 2012, especially with it's super marketshare.  It's because developers make more money on iOS than they do on Android. This is proven.

1.) So you are once again agreeing with me that it's smarter for devs to go for iPhone? Which is it? Is it my point about consistent hardware layouts or yours about marketshare? I'm confused now.

2.) That has nothing to do with the conversation at all. Now you're just trying to find new ways to argue when you clearly lost the argument we started off with. Plus, if you really want to go down this road, stop ignoring that people can get a $200 iPhone5, $99 iPhone 4S, $50 iPhone 4 or free iPhone 3GS. How you like them pricing options?

I'll bring it up again so you can try once more to discuss the topic we agreed on. That or you can just admit you can't actually prove anything rather than being yet another person who just hates iPhones and those who enjoy them. Makes me wonder why people claim iUsers to be so terrible... I haven't insulted the Android devices or their users once.

What makes my fiance's Samsung Galaxy S3 better than my "LOL" iPhone 4S?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

That's fantastic and I aknowledged that the S3 is a great device, but you're not in any way proving how it blows my 4S away. I expected that when you responded to the comparison with a quick "LOL".

Also, it's pure opinion that Live Wallpapers and Widgets use additional battery resources? It's a fact that they are. Not just that, but they take up additional memory resources as well.

Not to mention you passing them off as a pro is also purely opinion. Just like screen size it's either for someone or not. They aren't some magic features that make Android phones these super incredible devices.

Still, I think the S3 is an awesome device. It just isn't for me and honestly, it isn't in anyway a device that blows mine away. At least in any real meaningful way anyways.

You kinda of admitted S3 as a superior device not as much superior but i didnt want to push it to that point..i could accomodate.

Anyway you wanted me to fill it as a much superior device

Euphoria14 said:

Shubhank said:

You will compare S3 with 4S ? lol

Indeed, I will.

1) Bigger Screen ( dont say screen size doesn't matter . iPhone 5 and iPad mini  would not have been made then)

iPhone 5 (Larger) and iPad Mini (Smalelr) do show that screen size does matter, I agree with you. Some prefer smaller, which is why "bigger screen = better" is subjective. Thanks for rebutting your first point for me.

It is not totally subjective.1 inch phones are not practical. 5 inch tablet isn't practical
Subjective is only in comparable sizes.
All new phones Nexus 4,S3,Lumia 920, Htc 8x,Motorola Razr have screen sizes from 4.3 - 5.0 so i can cleary say if multiple companies are pushing this size means this are the perfect screen sizes they believe for consumer. Even Apple pumped up to 4 inch for iPhone 5 which is still lower than industry standards . So S3 Screen size DOES BLOW AWAY 4S.  ( I dont want to know that you or someone prefer the 4 inch. Apple cleary didnt wanted 7 inch tablet. so once they push you towards an assuming 4.3 inch iPhone 5s. you will say 4.3 is perfect for me. Apple isnt the only handset maker in the market).

2) LTE 

Not in my area. Either way, we both use WiFi while at work or at home. Outside of those we have access to Optimum WiFi due to being customers. Data plans are shit anyways, regardless of 3G, LTE, etc... since it's all capped and the overage charges are total bullshit.

Just like everyone doesn't need accessories. Just like everyone wants to customize their phones with widgets and live wallpapers. Just like everyone doesn't need resale value. 
Either you agree that LTE does matter that or agree that people need Live wallpapers and widgets that isnt available on iPhone and also either way S3 blows 4s.

3) Expandable Memory up to 64 GB .

I have 32GB and I never filled it. Yes however, it could be an advantage if you use it primarily as your music device, although most use iDevices for that. Something my iPhone takes care of for me and it's available in 64GB too!

S3 is available in 64gb too and is still expandable to 64 Gb
So total 128 Gb ..blows 4s

4) Double RAM

5) Quad Core Processor

And? It doesn't run any faster than my device from what I can tell. Must need that for all the phone carrier bloatware and other stuff constantly running in the background that bogs down Android devices. There is a lot more to a smartphone than just specs my friend.

I will not go into a lot more to a phone( color options. price ..etc.) but still on specs. it does blow away your 4s

6) Much Better Battery ( 4G vs 3G device).

You're not serious here are you? Android devices are notoriously known for their poor battery performance. My fiance charges that thing every day. I charge mine on average once every 2-3 days unless I play games on it. Over time almost every Android device experiences battery performance degredation due to so much crap running in the background.

I can let this one go based on your opinion.i dont own either 4s or S3 to give any real comparison.

I did found this link though 
http://www.androidauthority.com/which-test-galaxy-s3-wins-battery-challenge-heavily-beats-apples-iphone-5-122142/
S3 blows 4s . 
P.S. if you can give me a link where it shows the opposite i will give this one to you based on your actual opinion.

Still, I think the S3 is an awesome device. It just isn't for me and honestly, it isn't in anyway a device that blows mine away. At least in any real meaningful way anyways.

I have given you 5 points where S3 blows 4s. :D

Around the Network
Shubhank said:

You actually didn't. They were subjective, not objective.

Specs don't tell an entire story. How does S3 specs enable it to function better or faster than the iPhone 4S? Point is, it doesn't. iOS still runs silky smooth and games and apps run quickly and it makes phone calls without issue. Even with lower RAM and what not. Why is that? Because the OS is optimized for that one hardware layout, where Android has to be custom tailored to suite each individual layout. This is where the issues arise and where higher specs can help make up for the custom OS that isn't properly optimized. This is my argument for why it has greater developer support too. They know what hardware they are working on and it requires less QA testing as well. Less cost, greater profits.

Watch this video to see the two compared in various speed tests. To make sure nothing was bias they even went ahead and cleared history, cache, all running apps, etc... before each test. It shows how optimization brings greater benefits than just upping the specs.

Screen size being better than the other is subjective as it comes down entirely to user preference.

Okay, you can get 128GB of storage. That's fantastic. So you win on expandable memory.

All your points are mearly subjective or just thumping your chest about specs while having no way at all to actually show those superior specs making any real noticable difference in function. It's a talking point and nothing more.

When it comes to practical everyday functions for your device, whether it be the S3 or the 4S, those specs bring nothing to the table. Unless of course you can prove me wrong.

I'll give you one thing though, which I am shocked you failed to mention.

Galaxy S3 has a better camera from my experience. Zooming in with the iPhone makes the pictures looks terrible and blurry. I don't zoom much however so the pictures I frequently take while spending time with my daughter still look great.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:

Shubhank said:

You actually didn't. They were subjective, not objective.

Specs don't tell an entire story. How does S3 specs enable it to function better or faster than the iPhone 4S? Point is, it doesn't. iOS still runs silky smooth and games and apps run quickly and it makes phone calls without issue. Even with lower RAM and what not. Why is that? Because the OS is optimized for that one hardware layout, where Android has to be custom tailored to suite each individual layout. This is where the issues arise and where higher specs can help make up for the custom OS that isn't properly optimized. This is my argument for why it has greater developer support too. They know what hardware they are working on and it requires less QA testing as well. Less cost, greater profits.

Watch this video to see the two compared in various speed tests. To make sure nothing was bias they even went ahead and cleared history, cache, all running apps, etc... before each test. It shows how optimization brings greater benefits than just upping the specs.

All your points are mearly subjective or just thumping your chest about specs while having no way at all to actually show those superior specs making any real noticable difference in function. It's a talking point and nothing more.

When it comes to practical everyday functions for your device, whether it be the S3 or the 4S, those specs bring nothing to the table. Unless of course you can prove me wrong.

Test wasn't for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean .. I would like to see that.

As for Specs opening Apps clearly shows how much it is OS dependent than on specs. so i can say Jelly Bean will blow 4s.

Specs power would have been shown when Gaming, video and multitasking would have been shown.

To be practical All persons can complete a 10 m race within 2 sec. A person stamina is only tested when you have him race 400 - 800 meters

Shubhank said:

As for Specs opening Apps clearly shows how much it is OS dependent than on specs. so i can say Jelly Bean will blow 4s.

Specs power would have been shown when Gaming, video and multitasking would have been shown.

To be practical All persons can complete a 10 m race within 2 sec. A person stamina is only tested when you have him race 400 - 800 meters

Come on now bro, you really have an excuse for everything. 4.1 isn't going to magically turn it into superphone with lightning speed. It won't magically make it boot up faster to match the iPhone, make games load faster to match the iPhone, make the web browser speed up to match the iPhone or make the actual number pad for making phone calls speed up to match the iPhone.

If it does though, that's great since those super specs will now finally allow it to run as fast as the 4S. :-p

Test wasn't for iOS 6 either and either way you are still comparing a 2011 device to a 2012 device with much beefier specs, which does the Galaxy S3 no favors in this current debate. You also still forget I actually own both of these devices. I have tested the same games, same apps, etc... I know how each operates and how they compare in real world situations.

You also just admitted my point that specs are little more than a talking point. It's always been obvious that OS is more important than specs. That's how it always should be. Upping the specs to cover inability to get your custom OS up to snuff is the easy way out.

You also don't want a stamina test because Android have shown time and time to develop issues over time, especially if used extensively for tasks like gaming and even more so if you go the modding route.

Currently playing:

Honestly, I don't think Apple is the company they once were and I'm fairly certain that they've peaked ...

With the iPod, Apple was about 3 years ahead of their competition and by the time their competition caught up Apple was already 2 steps ahead of them; and they were never able to match the devices' capabilities or popularity. With the iPhone, Apple was 2 years ahead of their competition and (while they continued to improve their system) their rate of improvement has not been as rapid as their competition and Android has slowly climbed to be a comparible system. With the iPad, Apple was a year ahead of their competition and they are already being out-innovated by their competition.

36 months from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple playing catch-up with their competition ...

Euphoria14 said:

Come on now bro, you really have an excuse for everything. 4.1 isn't going to magically turn it into superphone with lightning speed. It won't magically make it boot up faster to match the iPhone, make games load faster to match the iPhone, make the web browser speed up to match the iPhone or make the actual number pad for making phone calls speed up to match the iPhone.

If it does though, that's great since those super specs will now finally allow it to run as fast as the 4S. :-p

Test wasn't for iOS 6 either and either way you are still comparing a 2011 device to a 2011 device.

Well to be fair. iOS 6  only adds features to the iPhone 4s while 4.1 adds smoother transitions in Android and removes the lag you complain.

You on one side applaud iOS for its optimization and on the other hand while i vouch for optimization you find it excuse. You need to be fair.

And also you dont know clearly about 4.1 . It definitely/magically turn S3 to be faster than 4s in opening and closing apps . 

In the videi Browser wars was win by S3 and the test was only closing and opening apps. You really meant only this when you said there is more to the phone then spec? 

I believe a mac mini will open the Vgchart site the same speed as a 27 inch iMac. Does this not mean iMac blows mini ?  I think you just acted cleverly and didnt posted a video which didnt pushed 4s as a typical smartphone one will use.