By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - iPhone 5 Demand Helps iOS Overtake Android’s Market Share In The U.S.

@shubhank

Ok, you miss the point completly on the first part. Since APPLE CONTROLS THE IPHONE ITSELF they can optimize os for their system. What happends if you need to update your android os ? It will start taking even more resource and it isnt like google will have the time or the patience to look  at all the android device and  optimize it around it. So your android will take up even more power, where apple just has to check around 3-4 iphones and see how it performs.And your android phone will be either outdated or become very slow with new updates because google didnt test to see if it works with it well.IOS6 can be used on an ipodtouch4 which the ipodtouch4 has only 256 mb of DRAM and it runs very well.If ios6 can run on the ipodtouch 4th generation with only 256 mb of  ram I am pretty sure apple iphone 5 will haver plenty of space afterwards and will be a supported device for a while.

And the second point is that if iphone market is over run by a lot of apps that is crappy, it will hurt all the serious developers. Android app store will approve an app with a picture for goodness sakes. Also, apple review teams doesnt say this app looks good or not, they just want you to follow certain instructions for example, if your app crashes during review, it will automatically get rejected  automatically. If it calls private apple libraries it will get rejected because if they change the mthod of their library the app will not longer function like it should. And closed source is great when done right. Look at all the console manufactures, they have close systems and it is working great. And this is the one of the BIGGEST REASON why big time developers design around iphone first then port the leftovers to android, because you have a better chance of sucessful .

Around the Network
sweetoothj said:

@shubhank

Ok, you miss the point completly on the first part. Since APPLE CONTROLS THE IPHONE ITSELF they can optimize os for their system. What happends if you need to update your android os ? It will start taking even more resource and it isnt like google will have the time or the patience to look  at all the android device and  optimize it around it. So your android will take up even more power, where apple just has to check around 3-4 iphones and see how it performs.And your android phone will be either outdated or become very slow with new updates because google didnt test to see if it works with it well.IOS6 can be used on an ipodtouch4 which the ipodtouch4 has only 256 mb of DRAM and it runs very well.If ios6 can run on the ipodtouch 4th generation with only 256 ram I am pretty sure apple iphone 5 will haver plenty of space afterwards and will be a supported device for a while.

You are right. Android do have nexus however which they control but to be fair iOS origined from MAC so Apple had the Knowledge and to make it compatible for future and old devices at the same time. While on the other hand Android has started from scratch and became from ugly to be the best looking OS with the customization optimization.

And if we look from the other way around. Android has evolved in the last 4 years hence devices are not supported with updates for long while iOS has remained the same and has reached the point of becoming boring. I dont think iPod touch 4th genration running iOS 6 is much suprising.

And the second point is that if iphone market is over run by a lot of apps that crappy, it will hurt all the serous developers. Android app store will approve an app with a picture for goodness sakes. Also, apple review teams doesnt say this app looks good or not, they just want you to follow certain instructions for example, if your app crashes during review, it will automatically get rejected  automatically. If it calls private apple libraries it will get rejected because if they change the mthod of their library the app will not longer function like it should. And closed source is great when done right. Look at all the console manufactures, they have close systems and it is working great. And this is the one of the BIGGEST REASON why big time developers design around iphone first then port the leftovers to android, because you have a better chance of sucessful .

Console Games development budget reaches a whole new level. About 1000 times more than a iOS app development. i dont think they can be compared.

i can only point you to that closed system in computer world led to Microsoft ruling Apple for the last decade.

And now in the mobile space Apple has lost market share to Android and the same trend is following in the tablet space.

So i will point out again it will hurt Apple in the long run.  ( in short for example Appleis gaining only 10 new users in comparison to 50 Android is doing  This number is threatning since at one time it was the other way around. ).

ArnoldRimmer said:
This just means:
Once every year, by the time Apple releases their latest edition of the iPhone, iPhone sales get a significant boost for a limited period of time.

It's true, iPhone's annual release leads to very seasonal sales.

It's also true that those seasonal peaks, and the trough that follows, get higher every year in the US.

Cobretti2 said:
but can you really call it genuine market share considering that like 80% of iphone sales are to the people who already own a 6month old model and just upgrading lol.

I am yet to meet a new person who says I decided to get an iphone 5. All the people I know who have them are ones who upgraded from 4S.

But what happens to those old iPhones? They get sold or given away to friends and family, and used as iPods if not as phones. The enthusiastic upgrader (and their carrier) end up subsidizing the spread of the installed base. When those hand-me-down users decide they're ready for a smartphone contract, they already have an Apple ID, a bunch of apps, and are accustomed to using iMessage and Facetime to chat with friends.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Euphoria14 said:

Galaxy S3 has a better camera from my experience. Zooming in with the iPhone makes the pictures looks terrible and blurry. I don't zoom much however so the pictures I frequently take while spending time with my daughter still look great.

The S3 has a better low-light mode. Zoom won't have anything to do with it. Neither of these phones are big enough for an optical zoom, and digital zooming is really just cropping off pixels, hence the reduced quality. There's really no point in a digital zoom unless you'd rather not edit the image later.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

famousringo said:
Euphoria14 said:

Galaxy S3 has a better camera from my experience. Zooming in with the iPhone makes the pictures looks terrible and blurry. I don't zoom much however so the pictures I frequently take while spending time with my daughter still look great.

The S3 has a better low-light mode. Zoom won't have anything to do with it. Neither of these phones are big enough for an optical zoom, and digital zooming is really just cropping off pixels, hence the reduced quality. There's really no point in a digital zoom unless you'd rather not edit the image later.

True for RAW images but wouldn't you say that's an exaggeration for JPEG-compressed images, which are pretty typical?

Around the Network
Shubhank said:
Euphoria14 said:

Test wasn't for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean .. I would like to see that.

As for Specs opening Apps clearly shows how much it is OS dependent than on specs. so i can say Jelly Bean will blow 4s.

Specs power would have been shown when Gaming, video and multitasking would have been shown.

To be practical All persons can complete a 10 m race within 2 sec. A person stamina is only tested when you have him race 400 - 800 meters

Come on now bro, you really have an excuse for everything. 4.1 isn't going to magically turn it into superphone with lightning speed. It won't magically make it boot up faster to match the iPhone, make games load faster to match the iPhone, make the web browser speed up to match the iPhone or make the actual number pad for making phone calls speed up to match the iPhone.

If it does though, that's great since those super specs will now finally allow it to run as fast as the 4S. :-p

Test wasn't for iOS 6 either and either way you are still comparing a 2011 device to a 2011 device.

Well to be fair. iOS 6  only adds features to the iPhone 4s while 4.1 adds smoother transitions in Android and removes the lag you complain.

You on one side applaud iOS for its optimization and on the other hand while i vouch for optimization you find it excuse. You need to be fair.

And also you dont know clearly about 4.1 . It definitely/magically turn S3 to be faster than 4s in opening and closing apps . 

In the videi Browser wars was win by S3 and the test was only closing and opening apps. You really meant only this when you said there is more to the phone then spec? 

I believe a mac mini will open the Vgchart site the same speed as a 27 inch iMac. Does this not mean iMac blows mini ?  I think you just acted cleverly and didnt posted a video which didnt pushed 4s as a typical smartphone one will use. 

I am being fair. I've admitted from the start and continue to do so that the phone is great and runs great. If it wasn't then I wouldn't have bought it.  I just don't admit it that it is some godly device that blows the iPhone out of the water. I was arguing my end and you brought nothing tangible to the table to prove me wrong.

You are now clearly taking my argument and now turning it into something it wasn't. There was nothing clever about my video. Go to Youtube, type in Galaxy S3 vs Iphone 4s Speed Test and what video pops up on top? Yeah, that's the first one I checked and I saw that he wasn't acting bias during the tests, so I went with it. I knew of PhoneBuff because the other day I was watching Lumia 920 drop tests (Phone is a beast!) and I found them to be very fair.

Why does opening apps mean nothing? I can open my game and it takes 10 seconds or it could take 5. That's relevant whether you think so or not, just like opening the keypad. Okay, video browser works faster. That's great. You finally bring something tangible to the table. Either way, my point with the videos and my real world experience with both devices, since I own them both, do not show your claim for the 4S to be "LOL" when compared to the Galaxy S3. That was my point and my point still remains. I have not detracted from that at all. I have remained consistent in my argument.

I'm not putting the device down at all. I'm not being clever. I'm just going with what I know and what can be proven. Hell, I even brought up the camera issue that you left out. I wouldn't be unfair if I am going out of my way to acknowledge something I have learned through experience with both devices.

What does Mac Mini or whatever have to do with our conversation? You're jumping all over the place again. Stay consistent with the argument. Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 4S and my claim that they are on equal ground compared to your claim that the galaxy S3 blows the iPhone 4S away. An argument you clearly admit you can not win on with you continually changing the subject and veering away from the argument itself rather than proving me wrong.

Unless you can stay on the argument and bring real proof to show how my fiance's phone blows mine away that isn't just chest thumping specs while simultaneously admitting my counterpoint that optimized OS > Specs, then please just let this die as it's not going to go anywhere.

I hate neither phone and actually just got my sister to buy a Lumia. Told her to wait for the 920, but she went with a 900... sigh... (Now she can't update to Windows8) if you don't believe me just ask people here like Kowenicki. I have no bias when it comes to phones. I just hit people with the truth about what these devices do when they are in your hands and don't allow myself to be swayed by specs rather than what my eyes see and what my actual real world experiences teach me. I give recommendations for devices based on what they intend to do with them. Dependant on user friendliness, games, photos, etc... I don't care if person A wants this and person B wants that. You get what you want and be happy with it, just like how I am more than happy playing games on my phone and competing with friends who also use Gamecenter. Nothing sad about that, it's preference. Nothing wrong with preference. Some prefer Androids, some perfer iPhones, some prefer Blackberries and some prefer Windows phones.

As I said from the start, I have both of these phones that we are arguing about. Do you have either of them? Not trying to be a jerk, just saying I am sure I have a lot of experience with these devices and as I said and continue to say, they are both fantastic devices, just one does not blow the other away. Not in the least.

By the way, I went ahead and tried finding a video comparing iOS6 on a 4S vs Jellybean 4.1 on the S3 (But it's not 6.0.1, it's only 6.0.0!!) and everything on both seems to still run silky smooth just as before, just now the Galaxy S3 boots up faster this time. Still doesn't show me how it blows the 4S away.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

famousringo said:
Euphoria14 said:

Whatever it may be, I just know that whenever I try to zoom in on anything or even get up close (By simply walking up close) my pictures get ugly. I don't have the same issue with taking photos with the S3. I even try holding down on the screen to focus, which helps a bit.

No idea how the iPhone5 camera is though, but I just got this in June so I won't be upgrading for a long long time.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

ebw said:
famousringo said:
Euphoria14 said:

True for RAW images but wouldn't you say that's an exaggeration for JPEG-compressed images, which are pretty typical?

Sounds like you maybe know more about cameras than I do (I'm not that into them), but I don't see what image format would have to do with it. WIth a digital zoom, because the optics are fixed, you're just telling the camera to ignore some of the sensor's pixels, so a 2x zoom turns your 8 MP image into a 2MP image. What format you save that image in won't change the fact that you threw away 6 million pixels right off the bat.

famousringo said:
ebw said:
famousringo said:
Euphoria14 said:

Sounds like you maybe know more about cameras than I do (I'm not that into them), but I don't see what image format would have to do with it. WIth a digital zoom, because the optics are fixed, you're just telling the camera to ignore some of the sensor's pixels, so a 2x zoom turns your 8 MP image into a 2MP image. What format you save that image in won't change the fact that you threw away 6 million pixels right off the bat.

Actually I know next to nothing about cameras, but I do know image formats.  JPEG compression means you are throwing away even more information than is captured by the sensors.  It is the nature of lossy compression that it tries to preserve the most important (most noticeable) parts of the image: in a continuous tone image, no one will notice that this pixel's brightness is not exactly halfway between that of its neighbours.  Most consumer cameras use this as it is an easy way to get more images to fit into the same amount of memory by sacrificing quality that many people will not care about.

Now compare two scenarios, an 8MP image with 2x digital zoom (which only used 2MP of sensor data), and an unzoomed image which uses all the sensor data. When the camera compresses the unzoomed image, it is wasting bits trying to preserve the highlights of the 6MP that you don't care about, and will thus sacrifice even more of those 2MP that you do care about.  If it is digital zoomed, then at compression time all the precious bits are devoted to just the area of interest.  You'll still lose quality compared to RAW, but more of the image detail will survive the compression.