By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - iPhone 5 Demand Helps iOS Overtake Android’s Market Share In The U.S.

I truly do not understand the debates between iOS market share vs Android. The Android fans all talk about how the Android market share is destroying the iOS, but I have a few problems with this. Apple products are some of the best built products out there and Apple controls the quality of these items very carefully. Apple also has a very limited number of iOS devices on the market at any given time. On the other hand, Android is on everything out there. You can go into a thrift store and buy a new Android phone or tablet. Problem is that most of these units are utter garbage. The vast majority of the Android market share is with these junk products, so who cares if they have a larger market? Look at customer reviews of the $100ish tablets out there. These things aren't worth using even for free...unless you like a good challenge. Shouldn't the market share debate be on rival units, say, iPhone 5 & Galaxy S III. It just seems silly to lump all the junk that's out there just so you can say that you sold more than Apple. 

Stop hating and start playing.

Around the Network
Shubhank said:

You will compare S3 with 4S ? lol

1) Bigger Screen ( dont say screen size doesn't matter . iPhone 5 and iPad mini  would not have been made then)

2) LTE 

3) Expandable Memory up to 64 GB .

4) Double RAM .

5) Quad Core Processor

6) Much Better Battery ( 4G vs 3G device).

1) Size does matter, but bigger isn't always better. For pocket devices, size is always a balancing act between portability and usability.

More importantly, size isn't everything. The iPhone 4 display outperforms the SGS3 in sharpness (both PPI, and crucially subpixels per inch), brightness, and colour accuracy. Can't beat those OLED black levels, though.

2) LTE is very nice. Not available in many regions or on certain carriers though, so a lot of people won't see the benefit.

3) You've got me here. Interesting to see Android moving away from SD cards, though. I understand there have always been issues with performance, managing which volume data gets stored on, and even security. The entire Nexus line is devoid of SD slots now.

4) Double RAM sounds nice, but since Android 4.x pretty much requires 512 MB just to be usable, this is more of a necessity than a perk.

5) Number of cores means not a goddamn thing. The CPU in the SGS3 gets jobs done about 20% faster than the 4S, while the GPU in the 4S is about 33% faster than the SGS3. Pretty comparable, I'd say.

6) I haven't seen any evidence of this. In fact, the SGS3 seems to get better battery life on 3G, edging out the 4S by 15 minutes in web browsing and a little over an extra hour of talk. The 4S bites back by getting an extra two hours of browsing on WiFi.

So yeah, iPhone 4S is actually pretty competitive with the SGS3.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Shubhank said:

You will compare S3 with 4S ? lol

Indeed, I will.

1) Bigger Screen ( dont say screen size doesn't matter . iPhone 5 and iPad mini  would not have been made then)

iPhone 5 (Larger) and iPad Mini (Smalelr) do show that screen size does matter, I agree with you. Some prefer smaller, which is why "bigger screen = better" is subjective. Thanks for rebutting your first point for me.

2) LTE 

Not in my area. Either way, we both use WiFi while at work or at home. Outside of those we have access to Optimum WiFi due to being customers. Data plans are shit anyways, regardless of 3G, LTE, etc... since it's all capped and the overage charges are total bullshit.

3) Expandable Memory up to 64 GB .

I have 32GB and I never filled it. Yes however, it could be an advantage if you use it primarily as your music device, although most use iDevices for that. Something my iPhone takes care of for me and it's available in 64GB too!

4) Double RAM

And? It doesn't run any faster than my device from what I can tell. Must need that for all the phone carrier bloatware and other stuff constantly running in the background that bogs down Android devices. There is a lot more to a smartphone than just specs my friend.

5) Quad Core Processor

See above.

6) Much Better Battery ( 4G vs 3G device).

You're not serious here are you? Android devices are notoriously known for their poor battery performance. My fiance charges that thing every day. I charge mine on average once every 2-3 days unless I play games on it. Over time almost every Android device experiences battery performance degredation due to so much crap running in the background.

As for features enjoying plugging into docking station.. There are many more advanced features for android device

For proof watch this vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-Rbm-m5Kk

So if we count the pros again.. android being an open platform has much much more options available

Remember, I had an android device before and my fiance has the Galaxy S3 we are discussing. I know about it being open as my phone was running CM7 vanilla ROM with custom kernel and with various performance mods to get it to well over 2600 on benchmark tests, which was pretty high considering the Captivate had a benchmark score of 800 when stock. Those mods came at a price though since the ROMs tend to not be 100% stable and I had WiFi issues, GPS issues amongst various others. I am well versed in the modding community and am a frequent user over at the XDA forums.

My iPhone is also jail broken and highly moddable at the moment so what am I missing right now? Widgets and Live Wallpapers? Never used them before thanks to being nothing but resource and battery drains. My phones is already set to do what I would have had my Android do and it's running fantastic.

Your video is also about the Note, which is a big ass tablet-phone thing. We are discussing S3 and 4S. Plus I already have a laptop and a tablet, so that is pretty useless actually. It's one of those features where you say "Hey, look what I can do!", meanwhile nobody really cares.

Now coming to resale part.

The thing is the carrier based 2 year contract works only in US..its nowhere as much adapted around the world.

So to sum up. Just because some different policy available in US . the resale value of iPhone makes it better for the US citizens.

i then quite agree with you iPhone is better for you..even though because of only its resale value.

Rest of the world is dominated by Android.

Good thing this article is about the US, not to mention I live in the US. I don't care what people use outside of it because i'm not calling them.

So what i see is Android task up ahead : shift US citizens to Android from iOS

iOS task up ahead : shift Rest of the world citizens to iOS from Android.N

I pretty much know who is gonna come on top :D

In marketshare? Yes. In developer and peripheral support? No.

Still, I think the S3 is an awesome device. It just isn't for me and honestly, it isn't in anyway a device that blows mine away. At least in any real meaningful way anyways.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

man-bear-pig said:
sethnintendo said:

They will lose market share to Android in the coming months and Android will take over again until perhaps the next iphone launch.

In the coming months they'll gain marketshare. Android will probably lose some to Windows Phones

I'll gladly laugh at your prediction.  You think iOS can gain market share a few months after releasing their latest phone, and that you think Windows phones will steal that much market share from Android?  You might as well say Nintendo will gain market share without releasing any Nintendo published games.  Windows phones won't pass 10% market share for at least 3-4 years if that.

superchunk said:
famousringo said:

Here's the funny thing about Android market share: It can't get enough.

In order to actually be a threat to iOS, Android needs to look like a more lucrative platform for developers and peripheral manufacturers. It needs to generate more web hits, ad impressions and online sales than iOS does. It needs to be used more than iOS.

Despite having a commanding 70% of the global smartphone market, I still read stories of app makers who do ten times as much business on iOS (and that's an improvement on the twenty times multiplier I was reading about a year or two ago). Web usage of iOS is twice as high as Android. Black Friday shopping on iOS was three times higher than Android.

This is a problem that Android simply can't grow itself out of. It would have to actually take market share from iOS, which is not something it has yet done, and doesn't seem likely to happen as long as every single network effect favours iOS.

Market share just isn't doing it for Android. It's getting itself into people's hands, but it's not going to succeed until those people start actually using it.

Edit: Also, the mobile forum is over this way.

You mean stuff like this? (facebooks internal push)

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/27/facebook-employees-android/

No, I mean when Facebook gets around to making their app native on Android like they did for iOS. They moved from html5 to native on iOS and performance doubled. Usage doubled along with it. Last I heard, Facebook's Android app was still html5, but you can bet they're working on that now.

Mobile has been a struggle for a lot of these web 2.0 companies. They really thought web was the future of everything, and the revelation that optimised apps are much more popular — at least in mobile computing — has been a real shock to them and a challenge to their core competencies.

Edit: Google tells me there are rumours that native Facebook for Android is in the testing phase. That would certainly explain the dogfooding poster. Sounds like they might not have enough Android users on their staff to do adequate testing. That tells a story right there.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I think Android will beat it again in the upcoming months.

GO ANDROID! XD

Great for them!
But they seriously need to stop suing every company that makes a square or puts a button on their phone.

Dmick90 said:
Great news being that I own an iPhone. Apple is kicking ass right now. They're taking down Sony, Samsung, HP, Amazon one by one lol.

Do you think that's a good thing?

(sorry if someone already asked you this.)

I enjoyed android.. but it's still a mess in comparison to ios(I mean jelly bean units that I've used seem pretty good but).. the iphone 5 is a behemoth when it comes to speed and fluidity.. it's as close to perfect as any phone I've ever used

mM
UncleScrooge said:
So I just came here to say that a surge in marketshare was to be expected due to the iPhone 5 being the first new iPhone design in 2 years thus generating a lot of demand.

...and what I find is another stupid discussion about iOS vs Android. The Third World War will be iOS vs Android fanatics, I swear. We'll all get blown up because some stupid people couldn't stand others buying a different phone.

I don't know why it's such a bad thing that there is a war between these fans. It's what most of the people on this site do, just with game companies.