By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 1.2 million hardware units sold, 400,000 Wii U

runqvist said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I just checked all major online stores here in Sweden and all Wii U versions were sold out everywhere, so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if what you (and Reggie) are saying is true.

http://www.komplett.se/k/search.aspx?q=wii%20u&bn=12509&mfr=

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/spel/nintendo_wii_u/133334-nintendo_wii_u-basenhet/

http://cdon.se/spel/nintendo_wii_u/

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010653953/nintendo-wii-u-premium-black-nintendo-land/#intcmp=searchProvider_SiteSeeker

http://www.discshop.se/spel/nintendo_wii_u/nintendo_wii_u_32gb_premium_svart/P102504

I'd say those are among the major online stores, but as I am not a swede I can't be certain. Komplett shows 100+ stock on Wii U premium preorders, others show that you can preorder those consoles.

Oh, did not notice. Webhallen shows that Wii U premium is out of preorders.

Yeah, I have to admit to an epic failure here. It simply said "not in storage" everywhere on pricerunner.se (which lists all major and minor retailer), but that's obviously because the console hasn't released yet.

My bad.

Nice to see that premium offer is sold out though :)

Around the Network
archbrix said:
pokoko said:
Anyone else think the Wii U total sales would be higher without so many units reserved for bundles? For example, toysrus.com only has Scribblenauts/Batman bundles. Clearly there are plenty of Wii Us out there but perhaps not necessarily in the configurations that people want.

Even in bundles the deluxe SKU is not available online anywhere at the moment.  Toys R Us has no "add to cart" function for the deluxe, Gamestop's deluxe's are backordered, and both WiiU SKUs are sold out/not available online at Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Newegg, which means they are selling quite well as there is clearly not enough to replenish stock online.

The only place to find them currently is in stores as supply becomes available or on Amazon/eBay, usually at higher prices.

Well, that's a good sign for the Wii U.  Both Toys R Us and Walmart had them in-stock when I posted earlier, though both only had their own unique bundles.  Both definitely had the "add to cart" button displayed.

MonstaMack said:
VGKing said:

Of course. But Vita doesn't need to outsell those to be successful.

What do you consider the Vita to sell to be successful? 100k? It needs PSP market share level to be even relevant.

Wal-Marts pushed the DS over the edge. We had over 100+ DSIXLs for $99. 3DS was not on sale at all.

If you're talking about this week, I would say 100k+ in America would be pretty successful. That would be a +300% increase over last week. If it can then hold on to similar levels throught the next 4 weeks then I'd say that is a successful holiday, considering.

100k for a Black Friday week with significant bundles/price cutting is pathetic. I'm sorry.

It's not going to hold that through the holidays either.

osed125 said:

The Wii U sales are ok imo. Although based on this numbers I have the feeling that Nintendo shipped more units than they should. The worst part are the 3DS sales, I mean they should be higher considering the DS it's a "dead" console. 

Anyway I can't wait to see how the PS3, 360 and Vita did during Black Friday. 

Nintendo kept the shipments limited to keep demand high for an extended period of time. Preorders will satisfied by the end of december.

Around the Network

Nintnedo USA needs to kill of the DS because it is clear that when people see a much cheaper DS vs a 3DS some still don't see that the 3DS is the next gen model and see no value in the upgrade.

WiiU, thanks gamespot for over hyping your sales. 500K preorders? who did the numbers in their office?

RolStoppable said:
Cobretti2 said:
Nintnedo USA needs to kill of the DS because it is clear that when people see a much cheaper DS vs a 3DS some still don't see that the 3DS is the next gen model and see no value in the upgrade.

WiiU, thanks gamespot for over hyping your sales. 500K preorders? who did the numbers in their office?

Killing off the DS would be the stupidest thing Nintendo could do. A DS sale doesn't translate to a lost 3DS sale. There are various reasons why people still buy DSes at this point:

1) Late adopters who want a cheap system with lots of cheap games. If you only have $150 to spend, you can get a lot of DS stuff nowadays.

2) Replacement purchases of people who see no value in the current 3DS and its library.

3) Kids' first gaming system. If you are the parent of a five year old kid, you don't go all out to buy the "best" option. Kids at that age break or lose stuff all the time and they aren't conscious of real differences between video game systems at this point anyway, so you buy the cheapest option you can trust; and Nintendo's brand and image is incredibly strong in this segment of the market.

The third reason is probably the main reason why Nintendo handhelds have such long tails in the USA. If the 3DS doesn't sell, then the problem lies with the 3DS, not the DS; and if there are still people who think that the 3DS is just a DS with 3D, then Nintendo has to release 3DS games that people really want, because that way consumers will inform and educate themselves.

Totally agree. DS sales help Nintendo, even if the number from last week paint a different picture. If new DS owners fall in love with the hardware and software available on DS, they're much more likely to upgrade to a 3DS. And much more likely to invest in a Wii or Wii U. I think there is a reason Fils-Aime grouped all four consoles together in his interview with CNET, beyond the obvious reason that the numbers appear much more impressive when grouped together. And the reason is this: the four systems form a sort of ecosystem that reaches as many demographics and income brackets as possible, and buoys overall sales.

That being said, the 3DS still needs to prove itself. The good news is that looking at the software released for DS and 3DS in the first 21 months of their respective lifetimes, the results are very similar. Would I enthusiastically recommend a 3DS to a potential buyer right now? Probably not. Would I have enthusiastically recommended a DS in August 2006? Probably not. And yet the DS might soon become the best selling video game system of all time. So I think the sky is the limit for 3DS.

Carl2291 said:
Expected over 500k WiiU's, honestly.

Those DS numbers are incredible.

ditto.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

A DS now can lead to a 3DS later, so I don't think the system should be eliminated for a small short term gain on 3DS sales in exchange for a giant DS loss.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Good WiiU launch, although not exceptional.
More gratz to Wii, instead, given the numbers it's been floating around for months, a boost up to 300k is excellent.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!