By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How something can come from nothing

Soleron said:
KungKras said:
Soleron said:

I favour the idea that 'nothing' is a sea of random spontaneous energy. Sometimes, given enough time, a universe forms. Sometimes a universe is destroyed. This is the simplest and most natural extension of what we already know about vacuum. The universe's laws and so on are actually unique to it and a property of its formation rather than universal truth.

The conception of 'nothing' as truly empty and uneventful is a human thing and at odds with quantum mechanics.

*concept*

Conception is also acceptable, as in "misconception". 

Argh, according to the dictionary you're right. Nothing is more annoying than correcting someone and ending up wrong xD

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

At the topic. The laws are in our heads, they're a product of human reasoning, which is flawed when describing the very small and the very large. As an example, it is possible, and very easy to make something move faster than the speed of light. Just point a laser pointer at the top of the moon, and flick your hand downwards. The dot will travel across the surface of the moon several times faster than the speed of light. Human reasoning sees the dot as an object, but of course, a better physical model is that of the laser pointer being an automatic rifle shooting lots of photons at the moon.

Also, as Soleron said, what if the universe is oscillating between big bangs and big crunches?
Since all particles are simply excitations of energy fields, have they ever begun to exist? What if everything is simply eternal music playing on eleven dimensional superstrings?

I LOVE ICELAND!

what caused the big bang lol

The something from nothing argument is essentially a fallacy. God believers say there can't be something (they usually point to the BB theory) from nothing so must be God. Big Bang believers point the mountains of evidence for the BB theory which points to the Universe as we know it indeed coming from 'essentially nothing'.

In reality it is an argument not even worth having. There never was a nothing that then became something. There was always something, whatever that was. There is no valid evidence for any of the Gods people have believed throughout the ages, and now, so I say just pick your superstitions if you want to have them and move on. Leave people interested in science and discovery to their own devices as they try to learn more and more of what is knowable, leaving the unknown where it belongs, in the to be discovered pile.

Meanwhile I'm perfectly happy with the limited knowledge of what is currently knowable, that at some point for whatever reason an event happened that created what we currently think of as the Universe. The ultimate why and from where do not seem answerable at this point. We currently seem only able to know how the Universe evolved after that point. To speculate on Gods and whatever came before and then _believe_ in them is bad for you.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Player1x3 said:
Zappykins said:

The questions you are asking is beyond wither a God or Gods exist or not.  Because if there is a God what created it? 

This is such a stupid question, seriously. God is timeless. He had no beginning nor the end. If something had no beginning, it had no creation, it was just always there. It didnt need a creation.  This is of course impossible for a human mind to comprehand, but its actually only logical. In order for something to create time, it itself has to be timeless. 

I understand your reasoning, but it doesn't rule out the possibility of there being more than one creator (nor does it specify that the creator is good, instead of evil or both). Also, using that logic, an atheist may claim that matter is timeless and had no creation.

So now you're just arguing for the sake of disproving the concept of abrahamic religions, while ignoring the actuall topic we were discussing? And matter cant be timeless. You people are getting serioulsy desperate in this thread... You've contradicted your own patterns of your so called 'scientific reason' so many times during this thread that its getting amusing to watch you.

Around the Network
Roma said:

lol. nothing creates its self, it is simply illogical!

I'm out!

Sounds like you contradict yourself.

If thats the case what created God? Nothing creates itself right?

This, the OP, is actually part the hypothesis that I have been working on. I am at work right now I will post it later.
Darn phone is erasing words me.

Nothing is something, that is what you got to remember.

Turkish said:
what caused the big bang lol

Well there are  few competing  theories but the most favorable the last I checked, says that our uninverse is some what Like a membran. While we are one membran, we are one among others ( The Multi-verse) The membran walls oscillate and when collide, boom, big bang.

M-Theory!!! There is another video that goes over all the theories but I could not find it. I will update if I do. 

We do not know enough. Apparently (probably) there was a big bang. There are people who explain it it different ways (membranes touching, universes contracting and expanding, things spontaneously coming from nothing). We haven't seen enough to draw conclusions. Speculation is pointless.