By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo 4 vs Gran Turismo 5

ethomaz said:

yo_john117 said:

Once again it doesn't include ANY extra content. There's a difference between a re-release and simply putting on different box art. This is no different than any Sony platinum game (just means it's cheaper and was popular)

Hummmm... what the guys here said is that GT5 have SIX rerelease... I just called bullshit... GT5 had just only... after that the guys said Halo never ever had a different and cheap edition like GT5... again I can show all the kind of edition you want but I just give a example like Halo 3:

Halo 3 Standard
Halo 3 Legendary
Halo 3 Limited
Halo 3 Platinum Hits
Halo 3 Classics

That's just in US.

Now you came here to say Halo never ever had something like...

Well I don't really care about what people said about GT5 different editions...I'm not arguing that. From what I can see there are two different re-releases (which is what this whole thing is about) Which are spec I and spec II (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Launch editions are completely different than re-releases (almost every game nowdays launches with AT LEAST two editions)

Classics and platinums are also completely different since they don't off a single piece of additional content. It's EXACTLY the same game as was released.

Actually this will put to rest what I was saying (notice Halo 3 doesn't include platinum or classic editions? That's because it's the exact same game as the initial retail release and ARE NOT a re-release in any way, shape, or form)

Halo 3 was released in three separate retail versions, branded as "Standard", "Limited" and "Legendary" editions. The Standard Edition contains the game disc, manual, and a small poster with the game's control-map and artwork. The Limited Edition, contained in a metal case, contains the game disc, manual, poster, Xbox 360 bonus disc with featurettes, and a hardcover-bound "Bestiarum", a collection of information and art covering the species, cultures, and civilizations of Halo 3. The Legendary Edition contains the game disc, manual, poster, interactive bonus disc, the Bestiarum on a DVD, Legendary DVD containing exclusive content, and a scale replica of the Master Chief's helmet as a case for the three discs. The slip-cover packaging unfolds into a large heavy-stock poster of Master Chief.[62] Gamestation stores in the UK offered a limited edition Master Chief figurine to the first 1000 preorders.[63]

Upon release, some of the Limited Edition versions of Halo 3 were found to have a defect in the hub that kept the discs in place, which could lead to scratched discs. Microsoft confirmed the problem and offered to replace scratched Halo 3 Limited Edition discs free of charge until the end of January 2008.[64] This was not a problem in either the Legendary Edition or the Standard Edition

Retail Editions

Alongside the standard edition of the game, there are be nine other versions of the game exclusive to certain countries and/or regions around the world. All of the special edition versions of the game are sold in limited quantities and include a copy of the game as standard.

The North American Collector's Edition.
  • The Collector's Edition is available in North America, Europe and Asia.
    • The North American Collector's Edition includes a retail version of the game, a custom etched Keychain, a 1:43 scale model of a Nissan GT-Rwith exclusive livery, a 300-page APEX book with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more, an e-voucher for five unique "Chrome Line" edition cars, and a Certificate of Authenticity.[60]
    • The European Collector's Edition includes a retail version of the game, a 300-page APEX book with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more, an e-voucher for five unique "Chrome Line" edition cars, an exclusive GT5 dynamic theme and a Certificate of Authenticity.[60]
  • The Signature Edition is exclusive to Europe, Australia and New Zealand. It includes a retail version of the game, a steel case finished in 'Obsidian Black' (official Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG colour choice), a coffee table book that details the cars and locations in GT5, a 300-page APEX book with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more, a Gran Turismo-branded wallet containing a competition entry card giving one person the opportunity to win a real Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG car (the competition will be similar to the GT Academy), a GT-branded USB pen drive containing an exclusive GT5 dynamic theme and a Polyphony Digital/Mercedes-Benz exclusive trailer, a custom etched Keychain, a 1:43 scaleMercedes-Benz SLS AMG model in an exclusive livery, an e-voucher for six unique "Stealth" edition cars and an e-voucher for five unique "Chrome Line" edition cars.[61]
  • The Japanese and Asian Racing Pack is a bundle which includes a retail version of the game and a 300-page APEX book with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more bundled with a 'Titanium Blue' PlayStation 3 console with a 'Titanium Blue' DualShock 3 controller. The console will be equipped with a 160GB hard drive.[62]
  • In Europe is a bundle includes a retail version of the game and 300-page APEX book with hints on driving, car tuning, future technologies and more, an e-voucher for five unique "Chrome Line" edition cars, an exclusive GT5 dynamic theme, a Certificate of Authenticity bundled with a 'Charcoal Black' PlayStation 3 console and a 'Charcoal Black' Dualshock 3 controller. The console is equipped with a 320GB hard drive.[63]
  • The Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition, a new edition of the game, was released on January 17, 2012. This version includes the original retail version of the game, along with the Spec 2.0 update already installed, plus vouchers for the game's DLC that was released in 2011. This version also has an alternative box art: Instead of the Red Mercedes SLS AMG, the same car is now painted silver, and the inside cover features two screenshots of the Red Bull X2011 Race Car (which is featured as DLC, itself being an evolved, faster form of the Red Bull X2010 featured in the game as well), which can be flipped and used as the front box cover.
  • A new edition of the game which was released on 26 September 2012 - The Gran Turismo 5: Academy edition is the latest version of the original GT5 game. It included all the functionality updates and new content that has been made available since the launch.
And finally the triple pack is the only valid point you have made so far (forgot about that TBH) Although it's still slightly different than a re-released version of a game to an extent but I would count it towards a Halo 2 re-release since it includes all of the map packs (Not CE since it's the same game with no bonus content).
So Halo 2 is the only game that has been re-released (to my knowledge)

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
I forget the best version...

Halo 3: ODST expansion have ALL Halo 3 DLC included.

Ouch!!!

Why ouch?

@yo_john117: ethomaz openly admitted that games have different covers per region, but now he seems to be turning a blind eye to what he said earlier: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4960268

pitzy272 said:
yo_john117 said:

You can count GOTY sales all you want in a vaccum. However if you are going to compare one game to another you can't count extra versions of the game when the other said title doesn;t have any. You also can't say well it is Microsofts fault for not having a GOTY edition because that is BS. No Halo as ever done it.

It should be GT5 vs. Halo 4 and no other versions of GT5 should be counted.

In the end it won;t matter because Halo 4 will sell more copies.

What do you mean no other version of GT5 should be counted? Like GT5: P or the special editions of GT5?

Some people are claiming GT5's goty/dlc edition should not count towards GT5's sales (which I think is a tad ridiculous). GT5:P's sales are considered separate from GT5's sales, and there hasn't really been an argument there. 

Yeah that is absolutely ridiculous. All version of a game should count towards its total sales.

@ Ethomaz: Please do some research man. Halo 3: ODST is a completely different game. It doesn't include the Halo 3 campaign. It is NOT a re-release of Halo 3.

Actually you're right, Halo 3 ODST is a re-release of Halo 3 so we should combine their sales so that brings Halo 3's total sales to 17.8 million. I can live with this.

Wow look at that guys! Halo 3 is the 360's best selling game

Nsanity said:
@yo_john117: ethomaz openly admitted that games have different covers per region, but now he seems to be turning a blind eye to what he said earlier: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4960268

Hey if he wants to say ODST is a re-release of Halo 3 that's fine with me!

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
ethomaz said:
I forget the best version...

Halo 3: ODST expansion have ALL Halo 3 DLC included.

Ouch!!!

Why ouch?

He must think it includes the full game Halo 3 too, which it does not. If he doesn't think that it comes across as though free dlc is bad.

Which would be stupid.

Nsanity said:

No like I said... All game have many editions... it's not just GT5.

Different editions per region, expensive editions, cheap editions, with DLC editions, with expansion editions, with two games editions... etc etc etc.

OP updated.

Why are you comparing a First Person shooter to a racing simulation game?

As you can see from the OP, Halo 4 is currently tracking 959,106 copies ahead of Gran Turismo 5 after 5 weeks on sale.

In its 5th week Halo 4 sold 395,719 copies.
In its 5th week GT5 sold 582,835 copies.

Halo 4 reached 5.91m after 5 weeks. It took GT5 13 weeks to reach 5.91m.