By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U - Extremely Slow Download Speeds. WHY?!

wfz said:

This is driving me insane now. I put up with the slow speeds yesterday, but still tonight I am downloading things at roughly 500KBps, when I usually have a download speed of 3.5MBps on my PC (with Steam, etc.).

Why is it taking me 45 minutes to download a 1700MB game such as NSMBU? What the hell, Nintendo. Does anyone have any answers or knowledge on this subject?

(1735000KB / 60seconds) / 45 mins = 642.5KBps ... 1/6 and up to 1/7 my actual download speed.

:(

(Pre-emptively stating this: Please don't turn this into a digital vs. physical thread)

NSMBU is only 1.7GB???

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
So much trolling in this thread is not even funny. PS3 guys should be ashamed of themselves for being such bad sports.

Not at all. PS3 owners are just speaking from experience.

Compared to the 360 the PS3 downloads are slow and after the downloads we wait even longer for the damn games to install.

We are in the same boat.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

ryuzaki57 said:
wfz said:

This is driving me insane now. I put up with the slow speeds yesterday, but still tonight I am downloading things at roughly 500KBps, when I usually have a download speed of 3.5MBps on my PC (with Steam, etc.).

Why is it taking me 45 minutes to download a 1700MB game such as NSMBU? What the hell, Nintendo. Does anyone have any answers or knowledge on this subject?

(1735000KB / 60seconds) / 45 mins = 642.5KBps ... 1/6 and up to 1/7 my actual download speed.

:(

(Pre-emptively stating this: Please don't turn this into a digital vs. physical thread)

NSMBU is only 1.7GB???

Probably compressed.

Remember the update is 882MB and installed it is 5gb.

So perhaps the mario game is around 8gb-10gb?

i guess we will find out hopefully.

walsufnir said:

ehh... nintendo knew how big the update was. nintendo knew how much wiiu's they delivered. multiply, done. also they could've contacted the cdn-provider before as they have proficient knowledge on network-load for sure.

i don't want to blame nintendo alone, perhaps they just chose the wrong cdn. to me, this is not a big issue as i expected something like this. if it had been perfect at start i would have been surprised.

It's not about "Nintendo knew ...", it's about what they are able to test. Even if they did a test with approx. 1,000,000 simulated connections, it doesn't ensure that it will work this way in the real world with varying connection speeds, data and connection loss, a wide-spread network around the globe instead of in-house tests, etc. You can't test software like a car and then start using/selling it when it comes out of the gate.

Ostro said:
walsufnir said:

ehh... nintendo knew how big the update was. nintendo knew how much wiiu's they delivered. multiply, done. also they could've contacted the cdn-provider before as they have proficient knowledge on network-load for sure.

i don't want to blame nintendo alone, perhaps they just chose the wrong cdn. to me, this is not a big issue as i expected something like this. if it had been perfect at start i would have been surprised.

It's not about "Nintendo knew ...", it's about what they are able to test. Even if they did a test with approx. 1,000,000 simulated connections, it doesn't ensure that it will work this way in the real world with varying connection speeds, data and connection loss, a wide-spread network around the globe instead of in-house tests, etc. You can't test software like a car and then start using/selling it when it comes out of the gate.

it seems you don't know or understand how delivering much data over the internet works. there is no big server nintendo has that has to deliver the bandwidth and deal with the connection. please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network this is, what nintendo has most probably done: made a contract with a cdn-provider. i don't blame only nintendo but also the cdn-provider which surely has much knowledge when it comes to high demand (bandwidth and/or connections).

edit: this was easy... google for "nintendo cdn", you will find http://pastebin.com/aB2GV3Bd.

then nslookup nus.cdn.shop.wii.com -> 80.239.148.163 which resolves to a339.d.akamai.net. akamai is one of the biggest if not *the* biggest cdn-provider. they *had* to know which demand is coming.

Around the Network

Be patient man, they servers must be on fire. The console just launched. Stop with the CASOS people!!

wfz said:
chapset said:
are you using wifi?? if you are you should try using your Ethernet port at the back of your console it's much faster

Very funny. 

The initial download took me around 45 minutes as well, but I was at my friend's house when i did it and his internet is much slower than mine. I just checked my DL speeds through Steam and I appear to be downloading just as fast as ever, yet Nintendo speeds are extremely slow. Oh well, NSMBU just finished so the crisis is over for now. 

I hope this throttling (if that's what it is) stops soon. 

Dont worry bro, at least you dont have to worry about the servers getting hacked.

walsufnir said:
cusman said:

It's a Network load / volume issue. I think 1 million Wii U's are going online this week so its' to be expected. Day 1 was noticeably slow. Things were very smooth 2nd day... and it will only get better.

but nintendo should've taken care before as it was clear to them that this load will occur. and btw: has situation changed on psn? is it faster now or still slow? last i heard was a while ago.

Companies can't just do that, and here is an example why, the game, SWTOR huge launch, millions of users, caused such a back log that there were queues to login, users complained about the lack of capacity, so BioWare ramped up servers by a great deal, so much so that under population was the problem. This caused more pain for the game, caused a mass consolidation of servers as too much capacity left people too spread out as the initial rush died. In that sense the initial Wii U rush will taper off eventually, so IF the number of users is the cause of the slow down, and I would expect as much, this is a matter of time, if it's something else, also a matter of time till it is resolved. 

Train wreck said:
The odd thing is that I can download things quickly from the normal Wii eshop (spent my final 2000 points) and the downloads were brisk, so i guess they are intentionally throttling due to not wanting the servers to overload.

This.

jlrx said:
walsufnir said:
cusman said:

It's a Network load / volume issue. I think 1 million Wii U's are going online this week so its' to be expected. Day 1 was noticeably slow. Things were very smooth 2nd day... and it will only get better.

but nintendo should've taken care before as it was clear to them that this load will occur. and btw: has situation changed on psn? is it faster now or still slow? last i heard was a while ago.

Companies can't just do that, and here is an example why, the game, SWTOR huge launch, millions of users, caused such a back log that there were queues to login, users complained about the lack of capacity, so BioWare ramped up servers by a great deal, so much so that under population was the problem. This caused more pain for the game, caused a mass consolidation of servers as too much capacity left people too spread out as the initial rush died. In that sense the initial Wii U rush will taper off eventually, so IF the number of users is the cause of the slow down, and I would expect as much, this is a matter of time, if it's something else, also a matter of time till it is resolved.

well, this is a different problem: the problem nintendo had was to deliver data. an mmorpg just doesn't have to deliver data but also do a lot of communication, user-management, exchange meta-data with clients and so on. there is a big software running on the server. delivering a data-file to thousands of users is really a different story. and btw, nintendo intentionally chose akamai as cdn so they don't have to care for the delivery anmore - they pay akamai a certain amount of money, give them the files to distribute and the rest is done by akamai's magic.