By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale review thread

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
I think this quote, "Copying Nintendo's own celebration seems not only wrong-headed but borderline offensive (Metro GameCentral)," is proof enough that some reviewers never intended to judge this game based on its own merits.

Honestly, this looks like another ZombieU to me, where you can throw out the score. As of right now, there are five reviews that rate it a 90 and four reviews a 65 or less. It seems very much a game that depends greatly on personal taste--and how objective you can be about a new IP that is strongly influenced by an existing IP. Personally, I don't see the point in going overboard with the comparisons when both IPs are exclusive to different consoles, but it seems to be a big deal to some.

Regardless, I think this is yet another game where someone on the fence should read the reviews rather than base anything on the meta-score.

I agree with this mostly.

And for those trying to say its being scored lower due to it not being as technically nuanced as Smash, I beg you actually read a few of these reviews. They are castrating it on two merits mostly: The fact its not that polished as far as menu designs, and its seen as too intracate for the casual audience it was meant for. I find this strange because.....by far I find Smash to be the HARDEST fighter to just pick up and play. Its so far gone from traditional fighter norms that a hardcore Tekken fan like me has a rough time adapting [-_-']. I haven't picked PSASBR up yet (I will in a few hrs) but it sounds like the same....with characters I can actually care about. 

Many of these reviewers indeed sound like Smash fanboys looking to punish AllStars for "imitating" their precious. Other than the lackluster menu designs I am not seeing what their gripes are. I can give a full verdict once I pick it up later.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

I'm gonna copy-paste my first impressions from the main PSASBR thread here and invite you to post in that thread if you've got the game and are looking for VGC players to fight!

So I've got some time with the game last night and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

Started off by doing the Arcade Mode with Spike on the Hero difficulty. It was nice, I was able to learn the character as I progressed through the stages. It was a bit on the easy side though. The last boss is really fun and not super cheap like most bosses in fighting games.

I then tried Drake who has really fun moves (Air Down Circle being my favorite) but his Level 1 sucks (especially in 1vs1 situations) so I switch to PaRappa who I really love since he's quick and very mobile and has an amazing Level 2 super.

I then tried some Trials with Ratchet and I think I'm gonna like the little Lombax. All of his supers are very good.

This morning I did two quick Ranked Matches, I ran into a weird bug. I selected PaRappa then waited to be connected the some players, it went from found opponents to searching for opponents a couple times and when the match started I suddenly had Drake instead of PaRappa (I still finished 2nd though).

Signature goes here!

From what I've played of the beta, I was expecting much higher. You know what, I'm with those Halo 4 fans. FUCK METACRITIC.

o_O.Q said:
fillet said:
Slimebeast said:

Dante's Inferno 75% Meta - "shameless God of War rip-off got what it deserved"

(Sony fans' comments here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=96873 )

All-Stars Battle Royale 76% Meta - "WTF, unfair reviews of a great game!"

....I see this comment has caused many people to initiate damage control mode...damage control mode has been activated lol.

Nobody has actually addressed your comment yet for the question it ponders and instead have just started talking fast clutching for a response to discredit your post, which let's be honest here, is the best post in the thread.

i told him this already and he refused to respond to my point :

the people commenting in this thread about this game getting low review scores are not the same people who commented in that thread before

and as i said unless he believes all playstation fans have the same opinions and say the same things then he doesn't really have a point

why do you personally believe his post has any relevance to this thread given that the users posting in both are different?

i personally understand your agenda but i'd like to hear what you have to say about it

btw i played the demo for dante's inferno and never at any point did it occur to me to claim it was a rip off... 

then again i'm not one of those people that really cares about such things as its obvious that in general games take certain elements from other games

Dantes Inferno was as much of a shameless ripoff of God of War as Quantum Theory was to Gears of War. Seriously.

Mega 64 making fun of Dantes Inferno for ripping off God of War:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E01GW4DULU

brendude13 said:
From what I've played of the beta, I was expecting much higher. You know what, I'm with those Halo 4 fans. FUCK METACRITIC.

Those Halo 4 fans were complaining about 2-3 dodgy reviews that weren't grading the game on it's merits but on their own personal feelings that didn't represent the concensus of the fanbase or even the other reviewers.

PSABR has scored consistently low scores based on gaming review system and there is a concensus on it's quality, not just a few crazy people who's reviews have been torn to shreds with good arguments.

Of course you can still say fuck metacritic, like we all can. However you're fucking it for very different reasons which would be "fuck all reviewers". Halo 4 fans have said, "fuck bad reviews"

If your opinion is "fuck all reviews that have consistently scored the game rather low" then by all means say it, but there's no need to reference Halo 4 in that sweeping statement, because it's an insult to the Halo 4 fans who had very valid concerns with the few bad reviews.

If Halo 4 had scored 70-80s across the board with a couple of 90s, well that would be different and I wouldn't be making this post.

Around the Network
fillet said:
brendude13 said:

Those Halo 4 fans were complaining about 2-3 dodgy reviews that weren't grading the game on it's merits but on their own personal feelings that didn't represent the concensus of the fanbase or even the other reviewers.

PSABR has scored consistently low scores based on gaming review system and there is a concensus on it's quality, not just a few crazy people who's reviews have been torn to shreds with good arguments.

Of course you can still say fuck metacritic, like we all can. However you're fucking it for very different reasons which would be "fuck all reviewers". Halo 4 fans have said, "fuck bad reviews"

If your opinion is "fuck all reviews that have consistently scored the game rather low" then by all means say it, but there's no need to reference Halo 4 in that sweeping statement, because it's an insult to the Halo 4 fans who had very valid concerns with the few bad reviews.

If Halo 4 had scored 70-80s across the board with a couple of 90s, well that would be different and I wouldn't be making this post.

I wouldn't say PSASBR got consistently low scores. The lowest it got was 6/10 and most score were in the 7 to 9 area.

Signature goes here!

I don't see the problem with PASBR. Super Smash Brothers is not on PS3, if nintendo cared about it they would have made it on PS3.

Since sony does, they made their own. It is apple vs samsung in my eyes.

if I don't like smash brothers, I don't suspect I'd like this. D:

S.T.A.G.E. said:
o_O.Q said:
fillet said:
Slimebeast said:

Dante's Inferno 75% Meta - "shameless God of War rip-off got what it deserved"

(Sony fans' comments here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=96873 )

All-Stars Battle Royale 76% Meta - "WTF, unfair reviews of a great game!"

....I see this comment has caused many people to initiate damage control mode...damage control mode has been activated lol.

Nobody has actually addressed your comment yet for the question it ponders and instead have just started talking fast clutching for a response to discredit your post, which let's be honest here, is the best post in the thread.

i told him this already and he refused to respond to my point :

the people commenting in this thread about this game getting low review scores are not the same people who commented in that thread before

and as i said unless he believes all playstation fans have the same opinions and say the same things then he doesn't really have a point

why do you personally believe his post has any relevance to this thread given that the users posting in both are different?

i personally understand your agenda but i'd like to hear what you have to say about it

btw i played the demo for dante's inferno and never at any point did it occur to me to claim it was a rip off... 

then again i'm not one of those people that really cares about such things as its obvious that in general games take certain elements from other games

Dantes Inferno was as much of a shameless ripoff of God of War as Quantum Theory was to Gears of War. Seriously.

Mega 64 making fun of Dantes Inferno for ripping off God of War:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E01GW4DULU

I don't know who is even talking about Dantes Inferon but it is obviously a God of War clone and a bad one at that.  There is a reason God of War gets praised and Dantes Inferno doesn't

fillet said:
brendude13 said:

This is correct