By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

pezus said:
Kantor said:
pezus said:

@Kantor: Uhm...Warcraft? I have no idea

Well, Warcraft as an RTS franchise doesn't exist anymore.

But no, not Warcraft. Keep guessing if you like, but all will be revealed tomorrow and you'll either kick yourselves or say "hmm, I never would have thought of that".

Tony Hawk!

Ding ding ding!

Congratulations

This particular Tony Hawk game is only liked by hipsters

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
pezus said:
Slimebeast said:
Kantor, nothing freaking fits your criteria.

* is a famous series
* is on a decline
* has an earlier entry that will be on many member's lists
* has only one main competitor which is more popular and more realistic.

Only sports or car games come close but not them either. I'd say Need for Speed but that hasn't got a more popular and realistic competitor.

I'd say PES but someone mentioned it already.

It is clearly Tony Hawk. Skate is the one competitor.

No, you said it already but Kantor was silent like a mouse.

Plus I wouldn't think Kantor would claim that Tony Hawk is "a very famous series, which was once great and which has now gone to crap."
&
"one particular (earlier) entry in the series will feature heavily in these lists".

Tony Hawk is a very famous series. The Pro Skater games were considered among the greatest games ever made. And now it's peripheral-driven garbage.

And I figured Pro Skater 2 would feature very heavily on these lists given the number of Sony fans on this site.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

milkyjoe said:
My 50th game is from the last decade but could also belong in the 1980's.

Prince of Persia?

Kantor said:
Slimebeast said:
pezus said:
Slimebeast said:
Kantor, nothing freaking fits your criteria.

* is a famous series
* is on a decline
* has an earlier entry that will be on many member's lists
* has only one main competitor which is more popular and more realistic.

Only sports or car games come close but not them either. I'd say Need for Speed but that hasn't got a more popular and realistic competitor.

I'd say PES but someone mentioned it already.

It is clearly Tony Hawk. Skate is the one competitor.

No, you said it already but Kantor was silent like a mouse.

Plus I wouldn't think Kantor would claim that Tony Hawk is "a very famous series, which was once great and which has now gone to crap."
&
"one particular (earlier) entry in the series will feature heavily in these lists".

Tony Hawk is a very famous series. The Pro Skater games were considered among the greatest games ever made. And now it's peripheral-driven garbage.

And I figured Pro Skater 2 would feature very heavily on these lists given the number of Sony fans on this site.

So it is Tony Hawk then

i find really difficult to chose between some games.....plus, how should i judge the games?, i mean, by the impact cused when released? or by how well they stand the test of time?....

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
What's the deal with the remake rule? It uses Zelda OoT as an example but that more like an enhanced port and mostly just looked better. Are full fledged remakes allowed as multiple entries?

If it's a more of a re-imagining of the game... like REmake (GCN) to Resident Evil (PS), then that's fine to do two separate games.

DieAppleDie said:
i find really difficult to chose between some games.....plus, how should i judge the games?, i mean, by the impact cused when released? or by how well they stand the test of time?....

Or how much you like them.

but like them now?
or liked them when i first played them?

God doing this is hard! I'm currently at game number 30 and it's still hard to pick games. Although I already know my top 10 games :p

Nintendo and PC gamer

DieAppleDie said:
but like them now?
or liked them when i first played them?

Well your tastes are always changing, so it's not only new games that affect your top 50... it's your feelings over time that affect it too.

You have to look back and remember how much you enjoyed past games. For example (I'm going to cheat a little here, forgive me) Pokemon Red/Blue is my favorite Pokemon game. Now, as a game, has it stood the test of time and compared favorably to... Pokemon Black/White? Not really, as Black/White has better graphics, sound, battle system, and more Pokemon. So it's better right?

Not exactly. I have to take into account that Red/Blue was my first Pokemon game, and that it consumed my childhood and was a part of who I was throughout elementary school. It defined a generation, and as someone who was part of that... that means a lot, so I take it into account.

It's all about how you feel now... and at the same time you have to take into account of how you felt back then too. I won't say it's not difficult, but you have to do your best!