By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Silicon Knights ordered to recall and destroy all unsold copies of Too Human, X-Men Destiny, more

Thank god.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Mass Effect 1, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Remnant are three games I own off the top of my head that have technical issues.

technical issues isn't broken.  You are talking about minor complaints.  Silicon Knights say they weren't able to get the engine to work at all.  

How sad is it that Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant could get it to work when the engine and support were all in English and Silicon Knights couldn't get it working at all?

Darc Requiem said:
darkknightkryta said:
Lost Odyssey didn't have technical issues, the Japanese devs were using an engine with all support in English. Game doesn't look too impressive but there's very little bugs in the game.

The weird random frame drops at the start of battle weren't a technical issue for you?

I didn't notice any dropped frames, but that would be resource management on their end not Epic's.

that's so harsh!

when you are in a higher position you have no mercy on the week! I just hate that mentality!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

gergroy said:
Darc Requiem said:
Mass Effect 1, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Remnant are three games I own off the top of my head that have technical issues.

technical issues isn't broken.  You are talking about minor complaints.  Silicon Knights say they weren't able to get the engine to work at all.  

How sad is it that Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant could get it to work when the engine and support were all in English and Silicon Knights couldn't get it working at all?

Well apparently they were able to get it work and decided not to pay for the license....

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
gergroy said:
Darc Requiem said:

Well apparently they were able to get it work and decided not to pay for the license....

supposedly silicon knights had to "alter" the code "extensively" to get it to work.  So basically, my whole point of my rant is Silicon Knights was either incompetent or dishonest.  Either way it looks bad for them.

gergroy said:
Darc Requiem said:
gergroy said:
Darc Requiem said:

supposedly silicon knights had to "alter" the code "extensively" to get it to work.  So basically, my whole point of my rant is Silicon Knights was either incompetent or dishonest.  Either way it looks bad for them.

Well they may have been both. They certianly were dishonest about writing a whole new engine for Too Human.

Rare: Left Nintendo in 2002 after being bought by M$. Have put out garbage since, and are now working primarily on Kinect games.

Factor 5: Left Nintendo at the beginning of this gen to work exclusively on PS3. They put out Lair. They are now dead.

Silicon Knights: Left Nintendo in 2004 and eventually partnered with M$ on Too Human. It bombed hard, and they're getting the pants sued off them and have to destroy their own games.

Moral of the story... leaving Nintendo isn't exactly a brilliant business decision.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Thats shocking! damn lawsuits!

gergroy said:
theRepublic said:

After reading a bunch of shitty incomplete articles, I think I might have figured it out.  SK licensed the UE3 engine for future games, including Too Human.  Epic missed the deadline on providing the complete engine, and never provided promised features.  SK had to modify the engine to get it working as they needed with Too Human.  This is legal under the licensing agreement, and becomes the property of SK.  However, Epic's original parts of the code remain Epic's property.  SK stupidly decided to stop paying licensing fees, which is where they really got themselves in trouble.  That is what ended up losing them the lawsuit.

The whole broken engine is what i dont understand.  Tons of other developers were using unreal engine at the time without any problems.  Silicon Knights were just so incompetent that they couldnt figure it out.

I'm not entirely sure.  SK claims that they began work with early versions of UE3, and that they were supposed to receive the version with all promised features within 6 months of the 360 dev kits being finalized.  They claimed Epic missed the deadline, and that Epic did not provide support which was promised in the contract.

Maybe Epic promised new features in the engine that had not been promised to other licensees.

They filed suit over a year before Too Human was released, so the problems had to have been well before that even.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)