By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U needs an update to play Wii disc games

Only Casuals play wii games anyway. Wii U is hardcore 1080p ready.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
Naum said:
Non issue

Tell that to people without internet, without pretending everyone is online nowdays,

If you have the money to buy a Wii U, then you must have some form of internet connection, even if it is really bad.

I said without pretending.  A baseless statement is pretending.

Why pretend if it's pretty much a given that any person around the world who buys a Wii U will have an internet connection? Video games are an expensive hobby, and like I said if you have the money to buy a next gen system you must have an internet connection, imo it's common sense.

Most people would not start an internet subscription for a games console, they do it for something like a PC or a laptop which they may not have a want or need for, or for some people a clue how to even use.  I know people who have gaming systems but no internet, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I wonder if you'll be able to circle strafe without an update?

noname2200 said:
famousringo said:

There you have it, then. In addition to it being an antipiracy measure or whatever else, it's an inducement to get your console on the network. If you don't you'll miss out on all these features! 

Better pray your wi-fi doesn't keep crapping out on you...

802.11n router with 5GHz support backed up by fibre to the home. It already juggles some twenty or so devices, so not gonna be a problem for me.

I'll note that in the past, Nintendo has handled patch distribution by including a firmware update on the disc. Perhaps they'll do the same with Wii U launch titles?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

802.11n router with 5GHz support backed up by fibre to the home. It already juggles some twenty or so devices, so not gonna be a problem for me.

Unpossible, sir. Unpossible.

KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
Naum said:
Non issue

Tell that to people without internet, without pretending everyone is online nowdays,

If you have the money to buy a Wii U, then you must have some form of internet connection, even if it is really bad.

I said without pretending.  A baseless statement is pretending.

Why pretend if it's pretty much a given that any person around the world who buys a Wii U will have an internet connection? Video games are an expensive hobby, and like I said if you have the money to buy a next gen system you must have an internet connection, imo it's common sense.

Most people would not start an internet subscription for a games console, they do it for something like a PC or a laptop which they may not have a want or need for, or for some people a clue how to even use.  I know people who have gaming systems but no internet, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

while this is true my brother has a 360 and absolutely no connection to the internet whatsoever but it's possible to go to the microsoft site and download the update needed for the 360 to run original xbox games and stick it on a usb stick and just pop that into a fully offline xbox and update it with that functionality they will probably do the same thing for the flintstone familys who buy a wiiu :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

What the hell, Nintendo? You didn't put an ethernet port in the damned peice of crap, so how on Earth am I supposed to download this stupid patch? What happens if I buy  a Wii U just to play Wii games? Cheapskates screwing us over again.

Seriously, I'm a bit confused. I thought the system was using hardware to run Wii games, and not just software emulation?

Wii U uses obviously a mixture between hardware & software emulation.

Buy an ethernet port adapter if you don't have W-Lan.

Besides, I think that the update could be on some game discs too, like they did with the Wii.

KylieDog said:
VicViper said:
Kyliedog complains even about this, haha!

What about people without electricity!! How would they play Wii U? Don't pretend they don't exist.

If you want to think we live in a fantasy land where everyone has internet go ahead.  I live in the real world.

The WiiU is not an offline console to be honest. Most of the appeal of the system is in its online integration.

In the end, Nintendo may be giving a minority of potential buyers a difficult choice, it's not a terrible sacrifice if it has other advantages, which it does.(ability to produce consoles early with upgrades infused when the consumer unpackages it)

KylieDog said:

If you want to think we live in a fantasy land where everyone has internet go ahead.  I live in the real world.

Go to their rich (by rich I mean "not starving") friend's house, bring your TV and Wii U to the nearest airport or use a 300-free-hours American Online CD-ROM from 1995 (who knows, they might still work!)

Or maybe they can play... gasp... Wii U games on their brand new 300 pounds Wii U.... poor souls!!!

PS. haha, I always suspected you were a parody account, now I'm fairly sure. You seriously can't complain about this.

Offline updates or updates on game discs.

And this is likely only an issue with the first production run of consoles.

Are we really going to move another mole hill into the mountain category?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

We've found out why it needs to update to play Wii Discs... because Wii BC is an app

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/wiisoft/index.html

Source: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149722

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"