By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U needs an update to play Wii disc games

wow... this really is going to be a big first update. :/ While I'm ok with that overall, it would have been nice had Nintendo not been so uptight about secrecy and just included more of the main stuff on the system.

Around the Network

Maybe it was the other way around?

They put a Wii U disc into a Wii and it said: "You need a upgrade, buy a Wii U"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

noname2200 said:
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
Naum said:
Non issue

Tell that to people without internet, without pretending everyone is online nowdays,

If you have the money to buy a Wii U, then you must have some form of internet connection, even if it is really bad.

Actually, to my surprise, kyliedog has something of a point. Not the "without internet" part. That's just stupid.

No, I mean lots of people either have internet connections that are not suitable for downloading updates like this (dial-up, satellite, etc.), or they have no interest in doing so. I recently read a statistic that several million (30, I think? Or maybe 30%?) 360s had never been connected to the internet. I believe this is part of why disc games contain OS updates.

I also saw that and if I remember correctly that was people who own a 360 but aren't signup in Xbox Live. If I'm correct then that must mean that the majority of those people aren't signup because they have to pay, and pirating to play games on Xbox Live is apparently a pain in the ass.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Do the updates come on disc like with PS3?

superchunk said:
wow... this really is going to be a big first update. :/ While I'm ok with that overall, it would have been nice had Nintendo not been so uptight about secrecy and just included more of the main stuff on the system.

I think it has less to do with secrecy and more to do with the fact that the update is only recently/still-getting ready. This lets them continue to work on the OS, while still being able to manufacture hardware months in advance of the launch.

TheFallen said:
Do the updates come on disc like with PS3?

Currently unknown, although the facts that journalists have had their hands on games but haven't gotten the updates implies that the initial wave probably doesn't have the update. I would be very surprised if future releases did not include updates, though; I believe all systems currently follow that practice.

Around the Network

Kyliedog complains even about this, haha!

What about people without electricity!! How would they play Wii U? Don't pretend they don't exist.

VicViper said:

What about people without electricity!! How would they play Wii U? Don't pretend they don't exist.

I lol'd :p

VicViper said:

What doesn't he complain about when it comes to Nintendo? I have never ever "seen" one person be so freaking negative of everything Nintendo does

it p*sses me off while at the same time it makes laugh out loud.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

*Just a spectator here, nothing to see, move along*

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Naum said:

What doesn't he complain about when it comes to Nintendo? I have never ever "seen" one person be so freaking negative of everything Nintendo does

it p*sses me off while at the same time it makes laugh out loud.

But what pisses him off too is that instead of saying maybe he could be partly right, people just say he's totally wrong, which oftentimes if you actually take a moment to think about what he's saying, he's not so far off, just a bit picky.

I personally don't think it's an issue, but for people with bad connections or people living in remote areas, it's not so practical.

But in the end, the less fortunate likely already own a Wii, so not being able to play Wii games on the U won't be that big of a deal-breaker.