By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic system compromise with calculations. Halo 4 really is at 90% not 87%

This System > Meta system?

Yes 37 33.04%

No 50 44.64%

Meh 25 22.32%

Total:112

Seems like your approach is unfair because your positive outliers are impossible scores to get. I'd assume you would have to adjust for the fact that the scale doesn't actually go above 100 otherwise you would only ever be cutting out low scores due to how review scores are slanted these days.

Around the Network

Damage Controlling at it's best right here people.

Metacritic - Causing gamers to freak out for no good reason since 2001

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I don't get the big deal, So what? Is 3 lousy points going to keep you from enjoying the game? Will Halo fans turn their back's on halo because it didn't score a 90 on metacritic? It's still a good game for those that like halo, So i really don't get what all the crying is about.

Nice so that means COD BO2 has a higher score and dominating Halo 4. That's what I like to see.

Around the Network

lol i'm honestly at a loss for words on this

are people really going to such lengths because of a 87% score?

I don't think you can just miss out scores that don't follow the trend, you could be cutting out legitimate reviews. The only way to create a "true" metacritic score would be to cut out all the troll reviews, which you can't exactly identify.

There are many popular games out there than I would rate very poorly, I wouldn't want my opinion to be ignored just because it doesn't follow the trend.

Proclus said:
That's an impressive OP, that's all I have to say.

Oh, and Halo 4 is still first day buy, and 2/10's should be reserved for broken games.

if you go to the offending sites other reviews you'll note that 67% of his reviews are "lower than average".  while i more-or-less agree with you that below 50% should be only for broken games this particular site seems to actually use their full 5 point scale.   the only thing broken about the review system is there is no general consensus on what the scale actually is.

if metacritic wants to change their system it shouldn't be to throw out outliers ... it should be to normalized a site's individual scores so that site to site comparisions are more fair.   i've got no beef with a site that wants to regularly hand out 1 stars like this site did as long as it has the appropriate perspective when comparing/aggregating it with sites that only grade on a 7 to 10 scale.

..also, it always amazing me how much panty bunching review scores cause.

Torillian said:
Seems like your approach is unfair because your positive outliers are impossible scores to get. I'd assume you would have to adjust for the fact that the scale doesn't actually go above 100 otherwise you would only ever be cutting out low scores due to how review scores are slanted these days.

Yeah, I just woke up and realised the flaw of this system. The fact that there's a limit to what one can give disables this system. 

Yay!!!

l