By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic system compromise with calculations. Halo 4 really is at 90% not 87%

This System > Meta system?

Yes 37 33.04%

No 50 44.64%

Meh 25 22.32%

Total:112

Those who cant be bothered reading these bunch of numbers should JUST SKIP TO THE CONCLUSION where I will explain. 

******************************************************************************************************************************

Calculations First

I will use these data gathered from the Halo 4 metcritic review pool (Nov 5 version): 20, 55, 70, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 85, 85, 85, 85, 89, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 90, 91, 92, 93, 93, 93, 94, 94, 95, 95, 95, 95, 96, 98, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100. 

So in this case we have (Calculations NOT shown): Sample size: 61 Minimum: 20 Quartile 1: 85 Median: 90 Third Quartile: 93.5 Inter Quartile Range: 8.5 

I will use the "1.5 IQR" rule for calculating the outliers.

(Q1-1.5IQR) 85-1.5*8.5= 72.25

(Q3+1.5IQR) 93.5+1.5*8.5= 106.25

So the outliers are  20 55 and 70 BECAUSE they fall under the 72.5 value. 

Therefore Outliers are 20, 55, and 70

IF the outliers are then disregarded for the statistical data for Metacritic Halo 4 would get a score of 90/100 (More like 89.99 2sf) 

******************************************************************************************************************************

Conclusion: Please read. 

Halo 4 would get a score of 90/100 (More like 89.99 2dp)

Outliers - are the "extreme' numbers and are ussually counted out of a statistical data to increase the data accuracy. Although they shouldn't be deleted but just disregarded in the mean or in a statistical graph.

The MAIN problem with Metacritics Halo 4 reviews (Or any other game) is that extreme reviews are counted on ,or god-forbid, handpicked . I believe it is safe to assume that SOME of the review scores we often dislike dont qualify on the "1.5 interquartile range rule". Since we have a sample of 61 ( or 58) I believe that this sample size is more than enough for this kind of calculation. Since the acceptable amount of samples for a fair statistical survey is in minimum of 30 anyway. And since theres a healthy amount of samples, I believe it is rational that a general consensus is present therefore safe to calculate. 

Also I believe that Metacritic should NOT implement this system on games with review numbers less than 30 samples. And I also belive that they should automate the system to calculate a new mean (average score) whenever a new review gets added when there are more than 30 samples. 

*******************************************************************************************************************************

If it makes you sleep at night, here's a statistical data that I found.. 90/100 score is the most recurring review score. With 20 reviewers scoring halo 4 90%. 

Thoughts? Is this system fair? 

Thanks Kain for the thread idea anyway. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network

I only gave it a Meh because the top 4 topics on the thread are about halo 4. Anyways Halos 4 score will bounce back up to at least 90 on the metacritic once the game is released and everyone has a chance to review it.

An 87% average for a game is still incredible.

@ maverick40

^This

maverick40 said:
An 87% average for a game is still incredible.

Yeah it is. But this new system is not just for halo its for all the Metacritic games if not movies and tv shows as well. I was just inspired to make this system up DUE to Halo 4. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network

Great idea and great work. Glad to have inspired such a thorough study.

I think metacritic has a screwy way of calculating the scores by applying weights.

Throwing out outliers is okay I guess. But, I think if more games have this happen to. This happens to movies and I think I people read about movie reviews instead of checking the number. (Though a rotten tomates might be neat, if a game gets 75+ (in the current state) it gets a fresh status). 

The big green metacritic number needs to become less important for the videogame industry. And the general populace read the content of the review. Obviously a reader would read tom chick is trollin, jim sterling trolling FFXIII etc.

edit sorry my grammar is garbage.

ishiki said:

I think metacritic has a screwy way of calculating the scores by applying weights.

Throwing out outliers is okay I guess. But, I think if more games have this happen to. This happens to movies are. And if I know people read about movie reviews instead of checking the number. (Though a rotten tomates might be neat, if a game gets 75+ (in the current state) it gets a fresh statue.

The big green metacritic number needs to become less important for the videogame industry. And people read the content of the review. Obviously a reader would read tom chick is trollin, jim sterling trolling FFXIII etc.

Yeah, I'd love a rotten tomatoes for games.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:

If it makes you sleep at night, here's a statistical data that I found.. 90/100 score is the most recurring review score. With 20 reviewers scoring halo 4 90%. 

Thoughts? Is this system fair? 

Thanks Kain for the thread idea anyway. 

I'll support any system that disregards those nonsense reviews. If you have chance, like to see you recalculate it post-release if a significant number f new reviews are added.

Let it go guys,don't be too serious on this,you just need to know you will buy this game,if you like it