By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would be your one tip for gaming?

stay in school to get a better job
better job > more money
more money > more games :)

Around the Network

Hah hell yeah.

Play a game because you enjoy it, not because you just bought it.

F0X said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Player2 said:

Avoid water at all costs.

What about if you're a dolphin called Echoe?

Then stop playing the game and try something good.

lol too true!

If you don't know whether friendly fire is turned on or off, it's better to not know than to find out the hard way.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
F0X said:
spurgeonryan said:
I still save just in case. Going back is a pain in the ass! Tutorials are lame!

Only if you're replaying them. Then they should be skippable.

Tutorials are lame if it's like the 7th game in the series and they're still forcing you to go through the basics of the game.  Mandatory tutorials really need to stop in gaming, especially when it comes to games like Zelda.  I should not have to spend the first 2 hours of the game learning the same stuff I've already been doing for decades.

It's kind of the same with the FF series.  Back then, you wouldn't get any tutorials. Part of the fun was to figure things out by yourself. Sometimes, they would introduce the new feature with a quick overview of it (by a moogle on a black backgroud in FF VI, for example) but that was it. Most of the features were available to you from the start, you didn't have to unlock everydamn thing as you got further in the game, like with XIII were most features become available (for no real reason, other than the the dev team thinking us gamers are all retards...) halfway through the game...

I can understand some features being locked or hidden until a certain point in the game if it serves an actual purpose in the story or whatever (like the esper system in VI), but in many case, features are just locked because the devs want the players to learn things progressively. 

That kind of thing really annoys me in modern games.

Hynad said:
NightDragon83 said:

Tutorials are lame if it's like the 7th game in the series and they're still forcing you to go through the basics of the game.  Mandatory tutorials really need to stop in gaming, especially when it comes to games like Zelda.  I should not have to spend the first 2 hours of the game learning the same stuff I've already been doing for decades.

It's kind of the same with the FF series.  Back then, you wouldn't get any tutorials. Part of the fun was to figure things out by yourself. Sometimes, they would introduce the new feature with a quick overview of it (by a moogle on a black backgroud in FF VI, for example) but that was it. Most of the features were available to you from the start, you didn't have to unlock everydamn thing as you got further in the game, like with XIII were most features become available (for no real reason, other than the the dev team thinking us gamers are all retards...) halfway through the game...

I can understand some features being locked or hidden until a certain point in the game if it serves an actual purpose in the story or whatever (like the esper system in VI), but in many case, features are just locked because the devs want the players to learn things progressively. 

Unfortunately modern games are also rather complicated to control compared to the classics, which justifies having instruction in order to quickly understand what is going on and how to react. Experimentation still exists in most modern games even with tutorials, anyway.

Also, features can be locked for the purpose of making the player have to earn them. It's rewarding to have to work for a spiffy new ability rather than having just about everything from the beginning.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Don't be a sore looser and go ballistic...really......I know from watching my brother.

He would play madden (by himself or online) and ANY mistake, blunder, loss, or moment where the plan doesn't go his way, he starts cursing and yelling. It used to scare the hell out of me. He would get soooo pissed, he went through a few controllers. After a while he knew and learned how to control his competitiveness. Now he doesn't go crazy after loosing or screwing up.

I myself try not to go crazy, but when you're getting your ass handed to you in SSBB, and getting thrown like a rag doll by some stupid AI (I'm a single player kinda guy), then it's hard to control that frustration.

F0X said:
Hynad said:
NightDragon83 said:

Unfortunately modern games are also rather complicated to control compared to the classics, which justifies having instruction in order to quickly understand what is going on and how to react. Experimentation still exists in most modern games even with tutorials, anyway.

Also, features can be locked for the purpose of making the player have to earn them. It's rewarding to have to work for a spiffy new ability rather than having just about everything from the beginning.

You missed the point.  I'm all for features that you should earn.  But when they lock parts of the battle system (like Gambits, in FF XII, and Paradigm Shift in XIII), it strips control out of the player's hand for no good reason. Making the game a chore to start again from the start.  Tutorials shouldn't be forced on you. They should be available at all time, IF you need them.

Listen to what the characters are saying, so many times I get bored while some characters are talking and don't know what the heck is going on.