By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii-U: No "system based" voice chat

Let's be honest here for a minute, folks. We all know how PSN and especially XBL can at times deteriorate into high-pitched scream fests and contests to see who can lob the most 4 letter words or racial slurs at others, especially during popular multiplayer games like Halo and COD for instance, right?

OK... now imagine playing a game like COD on the Wii U with voice chat available right out of the box via the Gamepad or a packed-in mic so the vast majority of Nintendo's primary audience has access to it. *shudders*

Trust me, you'll be glad Nintendo decided to go this route.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Maybe they can fix this with an update? I don't use much cross chatting during Call of Duty and such but for those who do, the way they have come up with a solution doesn't sound too simple. Again, maybe with a more sooner than later update they can fix this. Sometimes things like this make it seem as if Nintendo is releasing the Wii U too soon without figuring everything out first. That's just my opinion and I could be wrong. If I had the money I would definitely get a Wii U on launch day anyways.

NightDragon83 said:
Let's be honest here for a minute, folks. We all know how PSN and especially XBL can at times deteriorate into high-pitched scream fests and contests to see who can lob the most 4 letter words or racial slurs at others, especially during popular multiplayer games like Halo and COD for instance, right?

OK... now imagine playing a game like COD on the Wii U with voice chat available right out of the box via the Gamepad or a packed-in mic so the vast majority of Nintendo's primary audience has access to it. *shudders*

Trust me, you'll be glad Nintendo decided to go this route.

hmm ok and why is it so hard to implemet a function to disable voice chat or have a voice-chat volume control from 0-10 or something? its not as if you have to listen to those people, disable voice chat and you don't have to use voice chat and don't have to listen to people using it.

i mean, do you really hear people screaming even if you don't have to? that makes no sense to me.

every complaint about those screaming people you have to listen to was always unjustified, i never understood why people complain about something they don't have to agonize as long as they don't want to listen to others and have one idiot under them but that is another problem where you simply have to mute that single guy and that would be the same problem on wii u then.

MiiVerse is the missing element here. We don't know just how much of what they showed with ZombiU is going to be fully implemented, and if they are, then individual games' support of voice chat is going to be more or less only needed for more intensive multiplayer games.

We need more information.

And yes, i'm going to edit the first line of this thread...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This is some of the more retarded design directions of Nintendo. They still haven't shaken off certain habits...

Around the Network

What the fuck are they doing with that GB of system memory? Seriously, that pre E3 video showed that the User can pause a game like ZombiU and start video chat, what's the problem with audio chat and having it running in the background?

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:
What the fuck are they doing with that GB of system memory? Seriously, that pre E3 video showed that the User can pause a game like ZombiU and start video chat, what's the problem with audio chat and having it running in the background?

It's thanks to the 1GB of system memory that the devs are given the option. They would be using the 1GB system memory for these selected applications. So, for example, if the dev wants certain features and not others, he need only select to turn on that option, as far as I understand.

So the final verdict. The only people who care about this news are the people who never liked Nintendo and never planned to get a Wii U to begin with. The people who were planning the get one weren't even expecting this feature to exist in the first place.

Journalists just skipped right over the fact that it has voice chat capability and went straight into the negative things they could find around it.

lilbroex said:
So the final verdict. The only people who care about this news are the people who never liked Nintendo and never planned to get a Wii U to begin with. The people who were planning the get one weren't even expecting this feature to exist in the first place.

Journalists just skipped right over the fact that it has voice chat capability and went straight into the negative things they could find around it.

That's what you got out of this?  So everyone who posted here that this is a bad idea on Nintendo's part are just Ninty haters?  sigh.

sethnintendo said:
kitler53 said:
with 1 Gb reserved it seems odd they aren't doing cross game chat. surely nintendo has seen the critiques against sony over the last 6 years.

Do you want one of your friends from VGC buzzing you every time you turn your system on?  I know I'd be in heaven if D21 ever voice simulated me.

actually yeah.  i mean, i don't want randoms but MUGEN or some of my irl friends, hell yeah.  one of my friends is an xbox guy and i have to admit i've watched him play and use cross game chat and felt pings of jealousy at how easy it is to pull in friends for mutliplayer on live.  text chat just isn't efficient enough. 

half the time i just use my phone instead.  thank god all my friends are on verizon and we have free mobile to mobile...i've had some months where i'd be over by like 1000 minutes without it.